Off Topic Messages

GREAT NEWS!!!!

Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:09 am

Hello all!!!!

We got back from Miami Children's Hospital about 2 hours ago.

And I mean ALL OF US CAME BACK HOME.......including Justine!!!!!

The elevated protein/potassium readings that led Justine's neurosurgeon Dr Raghib (a wonderful surgeon who saved Justine's life after a shunt failure 3 years ago) to fear that the shunt was failing rapidly turned out to be a contaminated sample. 3 other samples were sent ahead to him from this week, and we found out today that all were within the normal range. :D

Now, there still remains a problem with the catheter that feeds cerebral/spinal fluid into the valve of her heart.

In short, on x-rays the catheter should reach down to the area of the 6th and 7th rib. Justine's (due to her growth) has receded to the area of the 4th and 5th ribs.

This is short of the length into the heart valve for optimal drainage from her brain. BUT......the CAT scan shows no buildup of fluid within the ventricles in her brain, so there is no increased pressure on her brain due to fluid.

SOOOOOOO......the shunt revision is likely to be necessary sometime before she reaches maximum growth, since the catheter in her heart is already shorter than optimal. But, for now, it seems that despite its shift in position, it is still draining the fluid effectively enough that the risk of surgery doesn't warrant the proceedure as yet.

And........while it is likely inevitable that the surgery will come.......it doesn't have to come NOW.

And when you have a child with Justine's health issues.......now is really all you've got anyway.

So, we take this respite from the inevitable with gratitude. Maybe she won't need the surgery for 2 or 3 years........possibly longer.

After 22 surgeries on her brain, heart, and abdomen so far, we just hope it stretches out as long as possible before she has to be subjected to any more.

So we are a VERY happy little family tonight.

And not only because of Justine, but because of the wonderful encouragement and friendships we have both at home and here........among our Elvis friends.

My thanks and eternal gratitude for the concern and care you have shown my little girl. I will never forget it.

Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:37 am

Scatter -

That is great news !

And a weight off your minds !

Glad things have worked out for the best.

Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:33 am

Great news!! ! I know that Hospital . One of the best in the world. Nice people too. Anyway last year they were! :D To Justine :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:45 am

Glad to hear it, Pal. Thanks for keeping us informed.

I was almost sure that you were going to add that you've saved a bunch of money on your car insurance by switching to Geico.

Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:08 am

Scatter,

That is really wonderful news for your daughter and your entire family. I apologize for being out of the loop for the past while. I missed reading your original post about your daughter, Justine (until today). I will certainly say a prayer for her and my thoughts are with you all.

Take care.

Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:31 am

That's great news! I'm so glad everything is working out so well!!!!

....it is no secret what God can do....

JEFF d
Elvis fan

Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:55 am

Wonderful, Scatter and family!!! .......There is no power can conquor you when God is by your side........ Everything will be fine!! Prayers are always answered!
sue

Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:56 am

I agree. Great news. You both must be so relieved and happy about the news.
Hope this good news continues for your family.

jeff R

Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:45 am

Exellent news my friend! Sounds like Justine is a fighter.

Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:47 am

So that little word I had with the boss helped!!! :wink:

That's great news Scatter,
all the best to all your family!!!!

8)

Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:25 am

Excellent news Scatter :D

Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:39 am

The magic of modern medicine!

Great news Scatter. All the best from Ireland to Justine, you and yours. Maurice.

Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:39 pm

Glad to read good news. I always feel sad when children are seriously ill and happy when they are cured.

Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:52 pm

I knew it :D Great news!

Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:19 pm

That's great to hear Scatter.

Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:47 pm

Wonderful news Scatter, as you say its putting off the inevitable, but let her little body be at peace for as long as possible, we wont forget her, so we`d like updates on how she is doing please.

Send my love to the whole family, and enjoy every moment :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:53 pm

Scatter:

This is indeed good news and you have my best wishes for continued improvements in her health.

Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:36 pm

elvis-fan wrote:That is really wonderful news for your daughter and your entire family. I apologize for being out of the loop for the past while. I missed reading your original post about your daughter, Justine (until today). I will certainly say a prayer for her and my thoughts are with you all.

I am usually not one to quote, but just for now I'd like to borrow the above answer and sign it, because it is what I would have written.

Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:25 pm

Great News !!!

Dan.

Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:43 pm

Very pleased to hear that :D

Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:52 pm

Scatter,
That's great news!!! You may want to print out these threads so that you and Justine can look back on this and see just how many friends she and her daddy has. My very best to all of you.

Tom

P.S. Does Justine have a favorite celebrity? I would love to get an autographed photo and send it to her. Just let me know.

Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:05 pm

The praying will never stop from me, but it feels good to hear this good news.

Time is what you got now, and I am sure you are forever grateful for just that.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXx

To quote David Lee Roth:

If you think one second isn't valuable, then ask the little girl who just missed getting a gold medal at the Olympics by one second. If you think one month is not valuable to somebody, then ask the lady who just had a premature kid how valuable that month is. Eddie Van Halen has wasted years.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

You have inspired me to get to work on something I need to do! Take care and always keep us updated, cause it will never get old reading about good news.

Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:11 pm

Great post, Geno.

Tom

Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:13 pm

thx :D

Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:55 pm

Fantastic stuff, Scatter. Onwards and upwards!