Off Topic Messages

PJ Proby

Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:59 pm

Anyone here into PJ Proby ?

I was given a PJ Proby best of over Christmas, after i told my wife how much i loved his song "Nicki Hoeki" (?), which i heard for the first time on the radio recently. Up until a few weeks ago, the only other Proby song i had heard was "Somewhere", which i found way over the top for my tastes. And of course, i knew he had played the 70`s Elvis in a London West End show back in the 70`s. And that he cut a few soundtrack demos for Elvis, and even hung out with James Burton in the early 60`s.

But i`m really suprised how good this guys voice is, he does tend to go over the top here and there, but what a voice !

Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:24 pm

My wife gave me a BJ pro-ly over the Holidays. Does that count??

Tom

Re: PJ Proby

Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:24 pm

Ezzz wrote:Anyone here into PJ Proby ?

I was given a PJ Proby best of over Christmas, after i told my wife how much i loved his song "Nicki Hoeki" (?), which i heard for the first time on the radio recently. Up until a few weeks ago, the only other Proby song i had heard was "Somewhere", which i found way over the top for my tastes. And of course, i knew he had played the 70`s Elvis in a London West End show back in the 70`s. And that he cut a few soundtrack demos for Elvis, and even hung out with James Burton in the early 60`s.

But i`m really suprised how good this guys voice is, he does tend to go over the top here and there, but what a voice !


Saw him in a Manchester Club 1974ish . Maureen liked some of his songs she bought an Album. He was booed the night we saw him for not singing his hits! I was not very impressed with his live work. Liked "Hold Me"

http://news.google.ie/news?hl=en&ned=us ... earch+News

Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:35 pm

Errol -

Talking about P J Proby going over-the-top; listen to his version of An American Trilogy !

Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:41 pm

Remember him on the talent show "Opportunity Knocks"? He appeared as "The Masked Singer" in an attempt to restart his career - I think he came second to a tap dancing nun. :oops:

Geoff

Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:43 pm

tupelo_boy wrote:Remember him on the talent show "Opportunity Knocks"? He appeared as "The Masked Singer" in an attempt to restart his career - I think he came second to a tap dancing nun. :oops:

Geoff


But she was never a 'real' nun !

She just got into some bad habits.

Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:53 pm

Blimey, you guys are making me feel a right chimp now...lol

The song i heard on the radio "Nicki Hoekei", or how ever its spelt, is quite a funky/soul/swamp rock thing, so i was hoping for more of the same on the album i got at Xmas. But there is nothing else on the best of album like this track.

But i do like the album, even though its slightly bonkers and over the top.

I would`nt mind seeing that Opportunity Knocks footage though, in a mask and all eh ? Thats what i call top entertainment.

Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:07 pm

I remember when they had the rehearsals for the Jack Good's production of Elvis in 1978 and P.J.Proby was drunk on stage and Shakin'Stevens was crying with laughter watching him backstage.Im quite sure that P.J. Proby got sacked from the show.

Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:18 am

Proby did some great recordings in his time.

Somewhere
I Apologise
Maria
My Prayer
To Make A Big Man Cry
If I Loved You
Someone From Somewhere

ETC.

But he also did a lot of rubbish too....

My father went to see him in the 70's and said he sounded that bad outside the club, that he never went in... He got back in the car and came home.

Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:23 am

ColinB wrote:
tupelo_boy wrote:Remember him on the talent show "Opportunity Knocks"? He appeared as "The Masked Singer" in an attempt to restart his career - I think he came second to a tap dancing nun. :oops:

Geoff


But she was never a 'real' nun !

She just got into some bad habits.


:lol:

Re: PJ Proby

Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:15 am

Ezzz wrote:Anyone here into PJ Proby ?

His 1960s demo work for Elvis songwriters would be of primary interest. Ernst is on record as saying Proby's 1963 demo of "Slowly But Surely" beats the crap out of Elvis' master take. That would be interesting to hear.

DJC

Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:09 pm

P.J. Proby aka Marcus Smith and Jet Powers, is one of the greatest talents ever to emerge on the pop scene. With the right manager and personal attitude he could have become what Tom Jones did.

In his prime, his voice was amazing. I met him a few times when he was performing as the 'older Elvis' in the Jack Good production 'Elvis' and he came over as a really nice guy. I also saw him on stage in the 1960's when he split his trousers and he had the crowd in the palm of his hand. One of the best shows I have ever witnessed.

He is/was certainly a wonderful singer and has always been a loyal Elvis fan.

His versions of 'With These Hands', 'I Believe', 'Maria', 'Stagger Lee', 'Linda Lu' and a host of others are outstanding.


Brian :D