Off Topic Messages

Questions for the Brits

Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:42 pm

1.) What does 55 pounds amount to in dollars?
2.) Is a fellow named Nick Witchell still a BBC news anchor?

Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:10 pm

1. £31
2. Nick Witchell, is a BBC royal correspondent, much loved by Prince Charles.

What do i win Pete ?

Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:37 pm

Ezzz wrote:1. £31
2. Nick Witchell, is a BBC royal correspondent, much loved by Prince Charles.

What do i win Pete ?

Unfortunately, nothing Errol. I still don't know what 55 pounds would be in American dollars.

Sorry to hear that Witchell is stuck with the royals. For the record, 30 years or so ago Witchell wrote an excellent (albeit now dated) overview of the Loch Ness mystery. He also was instrumental in getting a major scientific survey of the lake by the British Museum of Natural history undertaken back in the early 90's.

I've got very tentative plans to fullfill a long-held dream and visit the Loch. It probably won't happen, but I'm at least starting to put a plan together. Part of those plans was to contact Witchell with some questions.

Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:59 pm

Sorry Pete, $96 is your answer.

Every now and again Witchell is made fun of on tv over his Loch Ness book.

By the way, Prince Charles hates Witchell.

Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:36 pm

Ezzz wrote:Sorry Pete, $96 is your answer.

At that price per night for a hotel room it looks like I might have to camp!

Ezzz wrote:Every now and again Witchell is made fun of on tv over his Loch Ness book.

In fairness to Witchell my understanding is that he is no longer a Nessie 'believer.' When he was involved with active investigation of the LNM he was quite young (late teens/early 20's), and at that time there was good reason to think that there were large unidentified animals in the Loch. Unfortunately the evidence has largly been discredited over the years. Regardless, his book was, and remains a thorough overview of the LNM mystery's history, even if his conclusions are now unwarranted.

Ezzz wrote:By the way, Prince Charles hates Witchell.

That can only be a good thing for Witchell. :)

Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:08 pm

Pete £55 gets you a room...over here.. thats not bad and usually includes breakfast... where are you planning on visiting? :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:00 pm

For UK prices, £55 is not that bad. I often pay way over that for a room, not that i`m happy about it though.

Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:53 pm

There's a hotel in the village of Drumnadrachit with a single room for as low as 35 pounds per night. Urqhuart Bay and the ruins of Castle Urqhuart
are nearby. This is starting to get realistic. If the cost of air fare and a rental car aren't too bad then this dream of mine just might come true!

Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:06 am

Hi Pete, I got married about five years ago and spent a few nights of the honeymoon round Loch Ness. We stayed a few nights at the Loch Ness Hotel at about the price you quoted then decided to move around a bit and found some great little boarding houses and smaller hotels in the area. These cost about half the price of the bigger hotel (which really wasn't that big or plush) and found them to be very friendly and welcoming.

Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:55 am

C`mon Pete.. where are you thinking of visiting? :wink:

Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:34 am

Pete Dube wrote:I still don't know what 55 pounds would be in American dollars.

Here Pete. Save this for future reference.

http://www.xe.com/ucc/

Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:54 am

Ezzz wrote:Sorry Pete, $96 is your answer.

Every now and again Witchell is made fun of on tv over his Loch Ness book.

By the way, Prince Charles hates Witchell.

Yes, not realising that the mics were close enough for him to be heard, at a press conference on a ski slope last year, Charless was heard to say about the press, and Witchell in particular:

"These bloody people. I can't bear that man. I mean, he's so awful, he really is."

It was quite amusing at the time :)

Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:10 pm

Have a look here

http://www.4hotels.co.uk/uk/drumnadrochit.html

Happy Holidays

Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:44 pm

I got a Question for the Brits

Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:50 pm

Graceland Gardener wrote:I got a Question for the Brits

And that is? :roll: :wink:

Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:00 am

Thanks for the responses everyone. I don't know if this trip is going to happen, but I'm going to keep taking the preliminary steps as if it is. Oddly enough, I was passing by a camera shop today when an apparatus in the display window caught my eye. It was a Nikon camera with a 300 mm telephoto lens. I went inside and asked the salesperson questions. This was used, but in mint condition for $1100. I know next to nothing about photography, but my understanding is that this equipment would be very suitable for long-range, high-quality photography. So maybe this is a good omen.

Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:49 pm

Hi Pete:

I have been to Loch Ness on a number of occasions - indeed I have travelled extensively around the highlands of Scotland, and I can tell you that, if you get the weather right, there are no more beautiful spots certainly in the UK and arguably one of the most beautiful in Europe.

At Loch Ness itself, predictably enough, they have a museum which I have visited and it is very interesting indeed, regardless of how much belief or interest you have in the whole Nessie thing.

This might seem strange but one of the greatest pleasures I have had is to drive to Loch Ness, park up, sit by the lakeside and simply listen. Fantastic peace.

The only downside about Scotland is that it is also a favourite haunt of one Charles Philip Arthur George Windsor aka Prince Charles, who, once his minders have cleared the area of any dirty commoners liable to pollute his airspace, can be seen wandering about shooting birds out of the sky.

Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:53 pm

Stephen Butler wrote:Hi Pete:

I have been to Loch Ness on a number of occasions - indeed I have travelled extensively around the highlands of Scotland, and I can tell you that, if you get the weather right, there are no more beautiful spots certainly in the UK and arguably one of the most beautiful in Europe.

At Loch Ness itself, predictably enough, they have a museum which I have visited and it is very interesting indeed, regardless of how much belief or interest you have in the whole Nessie thing.

This might seem strange but one of the greatest pleasures I have had is to drive to Loch Ness, park up, sit by the lakeside and simply listen. Fantastic peace.

The only downside about Scotland is that it is also a favourite haunt of one Charles Philip Arthur George Windsor aka Prince Charles, who, once his minders have cleared the area of any dirty commoners liable to pollute his airspace, can be seen wandering about shooting birds out of the sky.

Dont forget the "Midgies" Stephen :shock: :wink:

Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:06 pm

Pete, whilst in Scotland, you simply must try one of their mouth watering local delecasies, the fried Mars Bar.

Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:12 pm

Ezzz wrote:Pete, whilst in Scotland, you simply must try one of their mouth watering local delecasies, the fried Mars Bar.

Or deep fried black pudding or deep fried haggis.. in fact you have to have everyhting deep fried in batter to have a real Scots holiday :? :wink:

Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:23 am

Rusty Martin* wrote:

Is London bridge falling down?

Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:00 pm

Graceland Gardener wrote:
Rusty Martin* wrote:

Is London bridge falling down?

You mean the one the American bought, thinking he was buying Tower Bridge? :roll: :wink:

Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:02 am

The Loch Ness Monster does NOT exist!!!!!!!!!!

But it brings in the tourists who spend their money stupid enough to believe it. :roll:

Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:31 am

Sean Ryan wrote:The Loch Ness Monster does NOT exist!!!!!!!!!!

But it brings in the tourists who spend their money stupid enough to believe it. :roll:

Who says who....I know Kev exists :D :wink:

Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:29 am

Sean Ryan wrote:The Loch Ness Monster does NOT exist!!!!!!!!!!

Sean -
In terms of Loch Ness harboring a herd of plesiosaurs then yes I'd agree. However, there are still unexplained sonar contacts, as well as a number of sightings in the historical record that simply can't be explained away by wave/wake effects, and mistaken I.D. of seals and swimming deer. An unusually large fish such as a sturgeon could account for the sonar contacts. Sturgeon can get quite large, the White Sturgeon can grow to 20 feet, the Baltic Sturgeon up to 30 feet.

Another fish candidate is the eel. The current popular theory is that the Loch contains what are called 'eunoch' eels. These are eels that, for reasons unknown don't reach sexual maturity, thereby bypassing the normal spawning cycle and continuing to grow until death.

While these are two reasonable theories, they do not account for the long neck sightings some of the eyewitnesses report. It's the long neck that has led to the popular - but unlikely - plesiosaur theory.

Another theory is the so-called long neck seal. This theory proposes the existence of a species of large aquatic mammal related to seals or sea cows that has developed an unusually long neck as an aid to preying on fish. In this scenario these animals would not be full-time residents of the Loch, only occasional visitors. Their natural habitat would be coastal British and Scandinavian waters.

Sean Ryan wrote:But it brings in the tourists who spend their money stupid enough to believe it. :roll:

Undoubtedly the Nessie/plesiosaur image has been good for tourism, and because of this the plesiosaur image has been fostered. However, there is still a genuine mystery at Loch Ness that needs to be resolved.