Off Topic Messages

The Andy Griffith Show (Season 4 dvd set)

Sun Jan 01, 2006 4:41 pm

Santa was kind enough to bring me this set, and I can say that if any of you TAGS fans don't have it - get it!

Some hillarious episodes during this seasn, plus from what I can tell, there's no edited episodes, although there is still 1 dvd left for me to watch. There is one glitch though, and this can be found on the episode "A Black Day For Mayberry". The glitch is they left off the laugh track! I guess you could call this a raw episode :lol:

Regardless of this, I can't wait until Season 5 comes out next month.

Sun Jan 01, 2006 5:35 pm

That's interesting about the laugh track. Was it like that originally perhaps?

I agree that it is a terrific season. You have two visits each by Ernest T. Bass and the Darlings. Then on top of that you have the Fun Girls thrown in for good measure. Plus you have a bunch of great Gomer moments including including "Citizen's Arrest". Then the season starts with the sublime "Opie the Birdman". In seasons three and four (probably two as well) the show was absolutely in the zone. I would say the vast majority of these season episodes are classics or darn near classics almost no dogs.

I thought Season Two was an extraordinary set in terms of video quality. Haven't picked up Season Three yet (I held off because the Darlings intro was edited. I picked up in a PD version so now I'll get that soon.) I thought, although the quality is still amazingly high quality, for some reason the source prints are a little off. "The Fun Girls" has a lot of lines in it. Still, it's a great set with a great design. I wish there were extras though. Even the sponsor ads like they had for season II would be a great addition.

Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:23 pm

likethebike wrote:That's interesting about the laugh track. Was it like that originally perhaps?

I have this episode on an old vhs tape, and it has the laugh track. All of the times I've seen it on tv it contains the track as well, so either they added it only for tv re-runs or it didn't have one originally.

In a related TAGS Season 4 dvd note, this is sadly the season where the great Howard McNear (aka Floyd The Barber) had suffered a stroke, which caused him to only be shown seated. Howard was my favorite character on the show, and it's always sad to see him in episodes after season 3, although he still performed brilliantly.

Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:26 pm

Ernest T Bass, the Darlings and the Fun Girls to me all seemed to be step in the "silliness" direction that was more and more prevalent in latter seasons. This season still had a lot of great episodes but the ones with those three subjects are probably my least favorites (of that season).
Anyways, I'd still take a "bad" Andy Griffith show episode to watch over just about anything on TV today.

Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:00 am

See I think the show's demise came with the step away from the surreal aspects of Mayberry into the mundane premises of the later shows. The later shows have a deadening quality and could really use the anarchy brought by an Ernest T. Bass. To each his own though.

Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:25 am

I can agree with that Likethebike. The episodes from the final years of the show just didn't have the humor or life as compared to the early days, but at the same time they weren't total washouts either.

One thing you could tell in those later (or color) episodes is that Andy acted much differently w/o his trusted sidekick Don Knotts.

Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:57 am

He's a much more dour character quick to anger. His good cheer seemed to have been sapped. He has said in interviews that he had grown tired of the show and his good guy image by this time. In the 1970s, he so tired of type casting that he played villains almost exclusively in that decade mostly in TV movies.

Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:50 am

And you know what, he was great as a bad guy too lol. :lol:

Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:54 am

You guys beat everything, you know that?

Classic Quotes

"Gomer get down there with them spiders!" - Barney

"There ain't no gold. And don't be hanging around when that truck comes through." - Barney

"Fly a quail through here and every one of 'em would point." (Barney at Mrs. Wiley's party)

"We thought about killing him, kind of hated to go that far." - Briscoe Darlin

"It's not a whim anymore if you put on clean underwear." - Barney

"Man gets his best suit spotted and pressed, spends two hours polishing his hat, and for what? Heartaches!" - Barney

"...and I ain't been moonshinin' since...aw, um, at least so's you could notice." - Rafe Hollister

"Pa, just what can you do with a grown woman?" - Opie

"Like they always say...the quality of mercy is not strained, it droppeth like a gentle dew from Heaven...well, you're not talking to a jerk you know!" - Barney

"We defy the Mafia!!!" - Barney

"And quit hollerin' at yourself in that looking glass." - Andy

"I reckon' the cellar would be downstairs." - Gomer

"Boy, giraffes are selfish! Always running around, getting hit by lightning, looking out for number one..." - Barney

"I wish we had a psychiatrist in town; I bet Barney would be a real study." - Andy

"Do you have any idea how hard it is to work with someone who thinks he knows everything?" - Barney

"And get that gun out of your mouth!" - Andy

Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:51 pm

Those are excellent but what about:

Andy: Put the meat back in the freezer, CALL THE MAN!

Andy: I'm sorry I already 10-4'd ya

Andy: Otis was right, all they understand is a leg of lamb!

* What about Gomer singing the only known version of the song "No Account Mule"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:59 am

Big Boss Man- Is your version missing the laugh track on "Opie the Birdman" as well? Mine is. It doesn't hurt the episodes all that much although it is odd since the actors wait just that second on some of the laugh lines so the laughter doesn't step on the next line.

I love Gomer's song. That one where he sleeps at Andy's house is one of my favorites and the first one I watched on the new set.

Remember this line: "Next time I go lion hunting I'll have to remember to bring my tweezers?"

Rob- Are your lines just from season 4 or the whole run?

Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:05 am

No account mule sittin' on a mountain, sittin' on a mountain, sittin' on a mountain. No account mule sittin' on a mountain all day long.

The quotes are from the entire run.

One of my favorites not listed is......Winkin' will tell Blinkin', Blinkin' will tell Nod, Nod will tell Barney and Barney will tell you.
and
You're getting upset 'cause I can see your jaw muscles a workin'.

Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:30 pm

No likethebike, mine has the laugh track. They must have goofed on applying the laugh track on certain episodes, I guess????? This is puzzling now. :?:

Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:50 am

That it is puzzling since my "Black Day in Mayberry" also does not have a laugh track.

Big Boss Man have you done any reading on the show. I was watching "Man in a Hurry" tonight and in that episode Gomer can only pump gas and is studying to be a doctor. By the fourth season, he was a master mechanic but pretty much dopey. I was wondering if he was meant to be a one shot character but it worked out so well they kept bringing him back. Makes me wish there was a documentary as an extra.

Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:57 am

On another note, did you know that Barney had 3 middle names throughout the show? Barney P. Fife (no one was ever told what the P stood for.) Also Oliver and Milton.

When Goober was first featured, his last name was Beasley, then changed to Pyle as Gomer's cousin.

Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:12 am

Rob,

Goober was already being referenced as Gomer's cousin even before anyone was cast to appear as Goober.

In The Man In A Hurry episode Gomer mentions his cousin Goober - Sunday's he's always out on his boat. and this was several episodes before we ever saw George Lindsey.

My favorite episodes include Bobby Fleet And His Band With a Beat

but also known as Freddy Fleet....

Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:21 am

Graceland Gardener wrote:My favorite episodes include Bobby Fleet And His Band With a Beat

He digs you so you be nice and dig him back.

Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:24 am

Notice the one where Andy tells Barney to do an inspection on the band, and Barnye's going "Alright, everyone out of the vehicle and open all suitcases, empty all pockets!"

So Fleet - to avoid the inspection - immediately consents to let Andy have his way, for them to stick around and substitute for the marching band.

I think that scene was to imply that musicans possess a certain kind of cigarette that they didn't want found by cops.

Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:28 am

My question is...how was Jim Lindsey able to get an electric guitar sound out of the acoustic guitar that he was playing?

It was also pretty evident that it was someone else's hands.

Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:36 am

Rob wrote:It was also pretty evident that it was someone else's hands.

Mel Bay - if I recall correctly.

Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:00 pm

From what I've read, and I recall Andy Griffith himself talking about one time, it was Andy who wanted to bring Jim Neighbors on to the show after he saw him performing stand-up comedy in a night club. I guess since this was to be Jim's first appearance on the show, they probably hadn't determined what his future role would be (at least until they saw how he would go over with the audience?)

Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:28 pm

BBM, you got it all wrong.
Andy's Griffin (flying lion) wanted to bring Jim's neighbors on the show, but they couldn't act. But they could sing good ol' 14 A and so they came on the show for one episode to eat kerosene cucumber pickels made by Aunt's Bees. Mayor Stoner was just that, dude and Floyd's Law, son, says you can't hit a streetlight with a tomato, or sell a cannon under falsies pretenses.

:roll: huh?

Remember this classic whiney Barney line:

"It's as open as it ever was"