Hard Drive disaster

Off Topic Messages

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Eileen
Registered for: 20 years 7 months

Hard Drive disaster

Post by Eileen »

A friend called with a sudden hard drive disaster and I was able to help her recover at least 95% (she's still validating) of her data as we talked on the phone - a neat trick as I have no experience doing this and guessed my way through it.

Wanted to pass on - the software that successfully recovered her data is R-Studio and can be found here:
http://downloads-zdnet.com.com/3000-2094-10061966.html
http://www.data-recovery-software.net/

We tried straight PC & Windows methods and her Norton utils and some other recovery software without success before trying R-Studio. She even rebooted the machine in the midst of the recovery process and it STILL worked.

You download their demo software and use it to see the drive and preview the files that it finds. Supposedly you can also recover files smaller than 64k with the free demo but she didn't even try that. Paying the $50 gets you the demo registration key, then you can run the full recovery set.

Of course a current data backup would have cost $50 less ;) so this can serve as a reminder as well as a software recommendation!

Eileen

This post is for readers of the FECC forum. Permission to copy this post elsewhere is not granted.

Renan
Registered for: 19 years 4 months

Post by Renan »

Do you have the crack for this software? Or any serial?? :oops: :oops: :twisted:

"Ain't it funny how time slips away...."

Melanie
Registered for: 19 years 6 months

Post by Melanie »

Sorry to hear about the problem and congratulations on fighting it.
Was it a virus?

This is only slightly related, but I am sure you know that even if you delete a file from the bin, it can still be retrieved fairly easily.

Topic author
Eileen
Registered for: 20 years 7 months

Post by Eileen »

No we didn't get a crack or serial, she paid the $50 ;)

It's possible that the problem was caused by a virus, but that seems less likely than bad sectors/corrupt FAT issues. Yes the R-Studio software (and other techniques) will do deleted files. In this instance we weren't looking for deleted files, her whole hard drive appeared to be toast.

Eileen

This post is for readers of the FECC forum. Permission to copy this post elsewhere is not granted.