Off Topic Messages

Dean Martin died 10 years ago

Sun Dec 25, 2005 10:29 pm

just a thought for one of the most talented crooner ever, who died exactly 10 years ago 8)

Re: Dean Martin died 10 years ago

Sun Dec 25, 2005 11:46 pm

tcb4 wrote:just a thought for one of the most talented crooner ever, who died exactly 10 years ago 8)

I agree ... much like with Elvis' death, I remember exactly where I was 10 years ago today, when I heard the news of Dino's passing.

He certainly is my favourite crooner, hands down. His style and phrasing were so effortless and ultimately listenable, that I feel he is often overated.
Much like Elvis, Dino has been badly copied and mimicked since his death ...
also like Elvis, he had an immense charisma that the impersonators always lack.

Sun Dec 25, 2005 11:49 pm

Oops ... too much Xmas turkey has dulled my already questionable senses.

I meant to post that Dean Martin is underated, dismissed as being just a drunken pal of Ol' Blue Eyes, whereas he was actually the master of a lyric, bending and twisting a lyric like few others before or after him.

Mon Dec 26, 2005 1:02 am

I liked Dean a lot!! I don't have any of his records, but have a lot of his songs taped from the radio when the oldies stations played the great oldies!! Now, our oldies stations are playing the 80s and 90s!!
sue

Mon Dec 26, 2005 4:42 am

I love Dean, but he had a style and sound very similar to Bing. Of course to see the real lineage, see Bing...then Dean...then E. :P

Re: Dean Martin died 10 years ago

Mon Dec 26, 2005 6:14 am

tcb4 wrote:just a thought for one of the most talented crooner ever, who died exactly 10 years ago 8)

10 yrs!!!!

Only seems like last week, how time flies!!!

He was cool!!!!

8)

Mon Dec 26, 2005 7:34 am

He simply one of the most beautiful voices you ever heard in a male singer. He was hugely indebted to Crosby but after "That's Amore" he really got into his own style with those marvelous slurs that make his records so distinctive amongst the crooner set.

It does seem like it was yesterday. I remember it very well. I was home and everyone had gone out and I was resting after a fairly tiring Christmas and I saw it on a newsbreak. I called a friend whose dad, was quite the Martin fan, passed away earlier that month. The news took on an exceptionally mournful air because of that. It was really one of those moments where you could feel an era floating away.

Mon Dec 26, 2005 7:42 am

There is a little bit of Dean Martin in Elvis' voice.

Mon Dec 26, 2005 8:38 am

Dino was as cool as the other side of the pillow........

Mon Dec 26, 2005 9:54 am

Scatter wrote:Dino was as cool as the other side of the pillow........

Thank you Stuart Scott! :lol:

Mon Dec 26, 2005 10:40 am

I been turning my pillow over all night!!!

8)

Mon Dec 26, 2005 12:38 pm

I love the other side of my pillow!! Elvis loved Dean's voice!! :smt049 :smt054
sue

Mon Dec 26, 2005 4:06 pm

"I liked Dean a lot!! I don't have any of his records, but have a lot of his songs taped from the radio when the oldies stations played the great oldies!! Now, our oldies stations are playing the 80s and 90s!!
sue"

Sue, are you the one they call Ebeneezer ?

Mon Dec 26, 2005 4:36 pm

Ezzz,
You mean Scrooge? Actually, I couldn't afford many records in those days!! I could afford a tape recorder. :lol: :lol: :lol:
sue

P.S. Is there a cheap way of transferring tapes to CDs??? Guess I still have some Ebeneezer in me!

deano was awsome

Mon Dec 26, 2005 6:33 pm

deano was awsome. i was never a fan of frank thought he was overrated and wanted to be as cool as deano but just did not have it.my all time 3 are 1.elvis 2.deano 3.conway twitty.

Mon Dec 26, 2005 10:57 pm

hhmmmm............you were doing well there rocknroller, until Twitty came in at number 3 !

I`m a big fan of Deans stuff, but even he cannot touch the best of Sinatra`s stuff.

Frank was almost as cool as Dean, but lost Brownie points for sucking up to the mob.Oh yeah, and wearing that terrible wig, very uncool.

Mon Dec 26, 2005 11:05 pm

Dino was one in a million. There are some great box sets of his work out there and I would also highly recommend the DVD Dean Martin: That's Amore'. It has 25 great songs from the classic old Dean Martin Show. How cool was it back then to watch a guy sing a song with a cigarette in one hand and a glass of Scotch in the other?!

Tom

Mon Dec 26, 2005 11:53 pm

Kylan wrote:

Thank you Stuart Scott! :lol:

Ah.........yet there is a profound difference between myself and Stuart Scott.

I use it when appropriate, and do so sparingly.

Stuart uses it the way most of us use a period,ie at the end of most sentences :lol:

Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:32 am

R.I.P. Dean Martin.

deano boxsets

Tue Dec 27, 2005 4:09 pm

i have the 4 bearfamily boxsets and they are great the sound on them is awsome and so are some of the outtakes.sorry you dont like conway i got in to his rocknroll stuff from the 50s and loved his voice and just got to the country stuff and it just started to grow on me now i love it.he has over 50 country no 1s which is a record i think that says it all.

Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:22 pm

Interestingly, that article I posted on "Record Industry Singing the Blues" (WS Journal) notes that Dino's recent hits package has been a bright spot among "catalog artists" with that most recent hits package.

RIP, Dino.

Re: deano boxsets

Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:14 am

rocknroller wrote:i have the 4 bearfamily boxsets and they are great the sound on them is awsome and so are some of the outtakes.sorry you dont like conway i got in to his rocknroll stuff from the 50s and loved his voice and just got to the country stuff and it just started to grow on me now i love it.he has over 50 country no 1s which is a record i think that says it all.

Harry Jenkins rocks!