Off Topic Messages

Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:42 am

administrator, wheres the 'argument and intense discussion' section? :roll:

back to the subject of the thread, i always loved the bee gees, the first song i remeber was their 1990s single, 'alone'. my mum and dad taped their 'New York' 'and 'Sydney' concerts, and there was just soemthing cool about them, they did'nt move about or do anything crazy, but it was almost poetic the way they sang and acted. i loved their disco numbers, but their ballards 'too much heaven' and 'how deep is your love' are among some of the most beautiful songs, and i just love Barry's voice.

i was quite disappointed when Maurice died, and we have not heard from the 2 remaining brothers since. i hope they come back at least one more time. anybody know what they're up to now?

Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:13 am

Robin did some concerts last years in Germany and, I believe, other European cities. There is a DVD out of a German concert which is quite good.
Barry did some tracks with Cliff Richard last year and also, this year, produced the new Barbra Streisand cd with several vocal tracks.
No word on Barry and Robin getting together for a cd or tour. Maybe after a period of time they will get back together. Seems they are a bit estranged but they have gone through a lot losing a brother and life-long performer such as Maurice.

jeff R

Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:45 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
silver wrote:Doc, my query might be wrong-headed and my observation inaccurate. I freely admit that because I am not going to look up the posts; I've found it takes too much time (and I'm probably too lazy to do it!!).

In that case, I'd appreciate it if you might refrain from sweeping generalizations. It only gives the bad eggs more reason to condemn people here.

DJC


Well, goodness, all I said was that you two don't seem to get along!! Once I posted something to you and you probably didn't see it because the next time I looked, the entire post had been deleted (I mean the ENTIRE string of posts). The gist of it was that there are not that many liberals on this site. You are one. I am another. That makes two of us. Two intelligent liberals!!

And, if they're bad eggs, they will condemn no matter what anyone says, won't they?? AND, I don't believe that they are really bad eggs.... maybe just a little misguided.
sue

The Brothers Gibb had beautiful voices jointly and severally!! Each had a lovely voice and when combined they made great music!!!

Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:00 pm

silver wrote:Well, goodness, all I said was that you two don't seem to get along!!

Well, not exactly. Your original comment was more extreme, thus my query and later request.

silver wrote:The gist of it was that there are not that many liberals on this site. You are one. I am another. That makes two of us. Two intelligent liberals!!

There are more open-minded people here than not, thank God. As for the liberal moniker, you might be surprised at my voting record.

silver wrote:And, if they're bad eggs, they will condemn no matter what anyone says, won't they??

Perhaps. But let's refrain from stoking their petty fires.

silver wrote:AND, I don't believe that they are really bad eggs.... maybe just a little misguided.

Overt racism and homophobic commentary is well beyond "just a little misguided." That's what I have spent time responding to.

Such vile perspectives have NO place on this MB, do you not agree?

DJC

Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:11 pm

drjohncrapenter wrote:
silver wrote:AND, I don't believe that they are really bad eggs.... maybe just a little misguided.

Overt racism and homophobic commentary is well beyond "just a little misguided." That's what I have spent time responding to.


And yes, you deserve a big self-righteous pat on the back.

:wink: You are wasting your time tho.

A regular Don Quixote fighting windmills
(changing conservatives ideals is a lost cause, boy)



Such vile perspectives have NO place on this MB, do you not agree?



Y'know, a gang of rightwing street urchins could always come and spray-paint it on your front porch.

Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:09 pm

Well, DJC, I think this is a free country with free speech. I have said this before on another post. So, I guess I think they might be entitled to their opinion. As for your voting record: So you actually voted for Bush?? Oh, my............
sue

And I still like the BeeGees!!

Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:20 pm

silver wrote:Well, DJC, I think this is a free country with free speech. I have said this before on another post. So, I guess I think they might be entitled to their opinion.


Sue,

I think you just made him mad.


Please agree with Doc so he'll shut up.

Make it easy on yourself, and just agree with him.

:shock:

-------------------------------------


Doc does not believe in Free Speech.

He believes in bossing people around about what words they can and cannot use/type/speak.
He fancies himself Lord & Master of Acceptable Vocabulary.



re: voting record-
I think he did vote for Bush, and Gov. Schwarzeneggar too.

Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:34 pm

GG - DJC might be upset with me, but I do believe he believes in free speech. How else could he pontificate at so many who agree or disagree with him? I do think he likes to stir things up (like you do!!). But, do you really think he voted for G.W.B.?? And Arnold??? Well, I guess I'm one of the few that voted for our former governor, but don't tell my husband!!!
sue

Oh, jeez, you will tell him because you actually voted for G.W.B., didn't you??? Of course, you did!! (If you live in CA, you probably also voted for Arnold.)

Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:36 pm

Doc does not believe in Free Speech.


unless, his free speech to bash Bush - yeh, he upholds that and only that form of free speech.


He has attacked me for my free speech in bashing Michael Jackson here 2 years ago.
Ohhh the scolding Doc gave me - and still does. I'm his token racist/homophobe here.



A psychologist I know has done a case study on some of Doc's postings.
and come to the learned conclusion that Doc has delusions of grandeur.

He thinks he's some righteous caped crusader against Intolerance. (capital I )

Doc tries to enforce laws that simply do not exist.

There are no laws against the N word, or the "fag" word.
But Doc acts like there is, and he feels he must thwart evildoers using bad words and thwart those who disgaree with progressive liberalism!


up up and away!
Last edited by Graceland Gardener on Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:48 pm

GG - Now you see what I mean about your liking to stir things up (just like DJC)? What did you say about Michael?? Whatever it was, it was probably true.
sue

I don't mind Bush bashing, though!

Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:57 pm

LOL Sue - I understand Bush bashing and I stil encourage Clinton bashing!


- re: Jacko the Freako,
Doc claims he "archived" my controversial quote.
It was a doozie.


Word of advice -
so you don't find yourself an enemy of Doc's -
always agree with the lad.
And never run down Jackson, Springsteen, Lennon, Dylan, or Michael Moore.

Doc gets so p*ssed off when it happens.
I think he actually has a hissyfit tantrum.

:roll:

Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:25 pm

Watch out, GG!! You're getting very pleasant!! Why don't you stay this way?? Then everyone would like you like I do. Then DJC wouldn't have anyone to mess with??? Now doesn't that make great sense??? :smt115
sue

Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:46 pm

silver wrote:Watch out, GG!! You're getting very pleasant!! Why don't you stay this way??



I will, for you.

:D

Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:05 pm

GG - Now I know why I like you so much!! I don't know if this post will take because in the main elvis section where I just was, it told me that I couldn't post so soon after my last post!!
sue

Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:22 am

silver wrote:... I do believe he believes in free speech.

Of course I do -- but hate speech is unacceptable. If you think expressing anti-gay sentiment in pejorative terms or using racial epithets to marginalize African-Americans is "free speech" -- a favorite routine from your "friend" GG -- I feel sorry for you and your students.

silver wrote:But, do you really think he voted for G.W.B.?? And Arnold???

No and no.

DJC

Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:57 am

Doc is guilty of the very same bitter pejorative terms and epithets, slurs and insults that he claims others make.


The difference is Doc benefits from a neat little loophole.

The people he attacks are straight, and white,
so therefore what he's doing is not technically standard "hate speech"


- but hate he is expressing anyway.



That reaction formation crap works both ways, eh?
It turns Doc into a sort of bigot and a discriminating soul himself.

Yep. It does.

(He absolutely hates it when I'm right) :twisted:
Last edited by Graceland Gardener on Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:18 pm

One of these days, the retardation patients & mentally disabled etc, will insist on their own disenfranchised Civil Rights,
(which they'd deserve just as much as any black person)
and of course, the definition of "hate speech" will officially come to include those offensive bad words which Doc loves to use so much:


ignorant, stupid, idiot, stump.


OH! What will Doc use to insult people with then?

When Hate Speech includes the words he so much enjoys using?!?!?!




Hmm. :shock: A profound consideration.



The Day is coming, Drjohncrapenter, when all forms of insulting (even done by you) will be Hate Speech.


But in the meantime, as Spacehog would say,
be sure you insult all the Whites and Straights you can.
You have free reign there, for now.

Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:30 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
silver wrote:... I do believe he believes in free speech.

Of course I do -- but hate speech is unacceptable. If you think expressing anti-gay sentiment in pejorative terms or using racial epithets to marginalize African-Americans is "free speech" -- a favorite routine from your "friend" GG -- I feel sorry for you and your students.

DJC

Doc, I teach my kids free and appropriate speech. I teach them to get along with one another and to try to stay out of arguments that are futile. I teach them to try not to provoke anyone. I try to treat them with respect and try very hard not to belittle them. I try to set an example for them to follow. If they are doing something wrong, I try to help them find a better way. I also teach reading, writing, and math.

Yes, GG is a friend of mine. So are many others on this messageboard. I thought you were, too. If not, it is my tragic loss. (I hate having tragic losses, so I hope I didn't lose you. I don't see how I could just because I have as a friend someone that you rather dislike.)
sue

P.S. My kids love me.

Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:48 am

Sue,

Sorry.
It would be very sad if Doc chooses to burn a bridge with you,
simply because of his stubborn one-track-mind intolerance for old-fashioned people like me and others here.


You better retract what you wrote above, and solely be Doc's "friend" instead.

He has all the answers. He's the Man With The Plan.

Massage his ego.

Reinforce his Intolerance for Vintage Values.

Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:51 am

Err...... anyone remember the Bee Gees ?

Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:07 am

It's a shame how my Uncle Tommy has been completely forgotten in this thread.

Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:01 am

Tits McGhee wrote:
ColinB wrote:
Tits McGhee wrote:My Uncle Tommy is 73 today but you never mentioned him. And he's a better singer than any of those BG's. Unlike them he never got his knackers caught in a mousetrap.


I tend not to mention people with no Elvis connection.


I'll have you know that my Uncle Tommy does have an Elvis connection. He was the bloke who jumped off those cliffs in 'Fun In Acapulco'. They made it look like Elvis in the film, but it was really my Uncle Tommy. He got paid £12.50 for it but Presley got the credit. What a damn disgrace. I have proof that it was my Uncle Tommy in those scenes and not Elvis. Would you like to see my proof?


Tommy McGhee and the BeeGees are the best!!!! I mean next to Elvis!!!
sue

Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:33 pm

Anyone else noticed how that real skinny Bee Gee (forgot his name) cant make up his mind wether to be bald or not ?

One week he`s wearing his Ringo Starr circa 65, wig, the next week he`s as bald as a billiard ball.