Off Topic Messages

McCartney - Chaos and creation at Abbey Road

Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:39 am

Great documentary on BBC2 on Saturday where McCartney went through both old and new stuff before an invited audience at Abbey Road studios. Great to see the Bill Black bass in all it's glory and the end where he layered a track from nothing playing all the instruments was fascinating. Great stuff! 8)

Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:57 pm

He's "The Daddy"

Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:12 pm

the squirrel wrote:He's "The Daddy"

The Great Great Gand Daddy!!! :wink:

:twisted:

Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:18 pm

Watched it too. Excellent!

Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:30 pm

I did`nt see the point in the "layering a track from nothing" bit Dellboy,anyone could do that who can play just a little bit. I wanted to hear more songs from the new album.

Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:46 pm

Ezzz wrote:I did`nt see the point in the "layering a track from nothing" bit Dellboy,anyone could do that who can play just a little bit. I wanted to hear more songs from the new album.
But he can play a lot very well. Underated great guitar player IMO.

Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:39 pm

"Underated great guitar player IMO"

Great guitar player???................a great bass player without a doubt, superbly melodic. But Macca is no great guitar player. Would you like to point me in the direction of a few great guitar lines, solos etc ?

Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:02 pm

Taxman Paul not George. Abbey Road album side 2 Golden Slumbers, Carry That Weight was not the only lead guitar player there but his guitar sounded better to my ears. Paul came into the Beatles as a guitar player but the other guy(don't recall name)) played crappy and Paul took over the Bass to good effect of course but nevertheless a guitar player. Very underated. Influenced many guitar players with his acoustic work also BLACKBIRD etc...I did say great not legendary.

Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:32 pm

Ezzz wrote:"Underated great guitar player IMO"

Great guitar player???................a great bass player without a doubt, superbly melodic. But Macca is no great guitar player. Would you like to point me in the direction of a few great guitar lines, solos etc ?

He is a great guitar player in my opinion, and a fabulous bass player as well. His bass on George Harrison's "Something" is a joy to behold. But a great guitar player doesn't necessarily have to be playing loads of widdly widdly wank guitar solos in order to be classed as such. If you want examples of how good he is, how about "Yesterday" for a start? Blackbird is another, and he of course carries one third of the guitar solos on The End.

I did not see the Abbey Road thing, I watched his appearance on Parkinson instead, which was on roughly the same time. During this show he picked up his guitar and played an excerpt from Blackbird, almost note perfect to the original. The two other guests on the show, Rachel Weisz and comedian Dave Spikey, must have sat open-mouthed at the realisation that there was Paul McCartney playing a Beatles track right in front of them.

Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:19 pm

It's true Paul was a guitar player before ever becoming a bassplayer.

He has proven to be the most versatile and talented of all the individual Beatles.

God Bless Macca.

Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:25 pm

I`m aware of all the above examples given, but i would`nt call any of his guitar playing commited to tape as great. And i say that as a fan who owns everything he has ever put out, Beatles, Wings and solo stuff.

Now, if we are talking George, then that guy was a great guitar player in my opinion. He may not have been the most fluid and technically gifted player, but not many players played so many melodic and distinctive guitar solos/breaks as George.

Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:31 pm

Ezzz wrote:Now, if we are talking George, then that guy was a great guitar player in my opinion. He may not have been the most fluid and technically gifted player, but not many players played so many melodic and distinctive guitar solos/breaks as George.

George's solo on "And I Love Her" and "Nowhere Man" are excellent!

But George typically was a clumsy clunky guitarist

Listen to his horrible playing on "Another Girl" and "Baby's In Black" (out of tune too?) and "I'm a Loser"

Was he stoned?

That noise was accepted as good for the master take?!?!

His 1970s slide guitar work is good and distinguishing - he got good on slide
(but because the sitar messed up his fingering dexterity for a guitar neck)

Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:04 am

Macca is a multi talented guy who can play various instruments....As well as playing Bass on the Beatles recording's he also played other instruments, he played Piano on a lot of the recordings........and on various of their recording's he also played Rhythm Guitar, Lead Guitar, Acoustic Guitar, and Drums.

A couple of examples below- lol

She’s A Woman (Lead Guitar, Bass, Piano)
I’ll Follow The Sun (Acoustic Lead Guitar)
Ticket To Ride (Bass, Lead Guitar)
Another Girl (Bass, Lead Guitar)
You’ve Got To Hide Your Love Away (Acoustic Rhythm Guitar)
I’ve Just Seen A Face ( Acoustic Guitar)
Yesterday (Acoustic Guitar)
Drive My Car (Bass, Piano, Lead Guitar)
I’m Looking Through You (Acoustic Rhythm Guitar, Bass, Lead Guitar)
Michelle ( Acoustic Guitars, Lead Guitar, Bass, Drums)
You Wont See Me (Bass , Piano)
Taxman ( Bass, Lead Guitar)
Strawberry Fields Forever (Electric Guitar)
Penny Lane ( Bass, Piano, Harmonium)
Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band ( Bass, Lead Guitar)
Baby You’re A Rich Man (Piano, Bass)
You’re Mother Should Know (Piano, Bass)
Fool On The Hill (Piano, Acoustic Guitar)
Hello Goodbye (Piano, Bass)
Lady Madonna ( Piano, Bass)
Across The Universe ( Piano)
Blackbird ( Acoustic Guitar)
Helter Skelter ( Bass, Lead Guitar)
Hey Jude ( Piano, Bass)
Mother Natures Son ( Acoustic Guitar, Drums)
Back In The USSR ( Piano, Lead Guitar, Bass, Drums, Percussion)
Dear Prudence ( Piano, Bass, Drums)
Martha My Dear ( Piano, Bass, Lead Guitar, Drums)
Why Don’t We Do It In The Road (Acoustic Guitar, Piano, Lead Guitar, Bass)
The Ballad Of John And Yoko ( Piano, Bass, Drums)
Maxwell’s Silver Hammer ( Piano, Rhythm Guitar)
Come And Get It ( Piano, Bass, Drums)
Last edited by the squirrel on Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:07 am

hmm interesting, I always thought Harrison did lead guitar on Taxman. I think u do have to give Mac his dues, a heck of a guitar player.

Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:26 pm

Maccas accoustic guitar work is also over looked.

For those guitarists amongst you you will appreciate how difficult a simple sounding song like Yesterday is to play, but that aside Blackbird, Mother Natures Son and songs of that ilk are so deftly played. For No One with the playing of a bass line on the accoustic that goes down as the melody played along with it goes up is something else as well.