Off Topic Messages

Harold Pinter

Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:43 pm

Any thoughts on this author and/or his work? Just saw a filmed monologue of his on tv yesterday which was very interesting indeed.

Sincerely MB280E

Sat Dec 17, 2005 4:53 pm

He ..........................is........................................ very..........................................................................interesting....................in.....................the......................................way ................................he..........................uses ...........................................long..........................................pauses...............................................in...........................his.......................................................works.

Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:23 pm

There's a bizarre single by the Who where he gets a name check, which I've always appreciated.

DJC

Sun Dec 18, 2005 3:01 pm

I was thinking about the fact that he labels both Tony Blair and George W. Bush as war criminals. He has a good case I´d say...!

Sincerely MB280E

Sun Dec 18, 2005 3:04 pm

The evidence would seem to be on his side, certainly. History will not be kind to Blair or Bush Jr.

DJC

Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:41 pm

"History will not be kind to Blair or Bush Jr."

It will also not be kind to the later works of Mr Pinter.

Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:59 pm

Anybody that compares Bush or Blair to Hitler is a certified nimrod.
Only in the current age has a country invaded and conquered a country and not taken over...but allowed there to be democratic elections to instill government.
If anyone can't see this fact, then they are as foolish as his idiotic statements in the past.
Furthermore this FOOL has said that Saddam Hussein was absolutely no threat to the security of the world. Again more rediculous thoughts.
The current Hussein trial is testament to the fact that this punk needed to be taken out of power as soon as possible.
I admit it should have happened sooner, but now wasn't wrong either. Better late then never. Gone are the times that we can sit back and wait for a dictator to decide when he wants to disarm...or better yet sail a chemical weapon to his neighboring country just like he did to his own people.

Yeah this guy is one to follow. :lol:

Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:30 am

A Hitler comparison can be made if it not a one for one comparison. There is a big difference in the way the invasion was implemented but you can't ignore the fact that this was a "pre-emptive" invasion of a country that did not attack the US and Hitler used the pre-emptive justification in his major invasions. It is not a one to one comparison but it is useful in evaluating the actions. It's a good hey wait a minute as are the president's refusal to dismiss torture as an interrogation device, detaining prisoners without charges, the abuses that went on in US prisons in Iraq and Guatanamo Bay and (not so clearly around the world) and the president's full-fledged endorsement of denying due process for wire taps.

A threat to Hussein's own people is not the same as a threat to the US.