Off Topic Messages

Morgan Freeman on "Black History month".

Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:18 pm

Oscar-winning actor Morgan Freeman has slammed the "Black History month" ( which celebrates black people's contribution to America) as 'ridiculous'.
In an interview for 60mins he says that 'Black History is American History' and wished people would not use the words 'Black' or 'White' to describe someone.

Morgan said that" The only way to stop racism is to stop talking about it".

Totally agree with him.

To put people in certain groups because of their color or religous beliefs is wrong and doesnt do any good at all.

Here in the UK, some councils are against putting up Christmas decorations or whatever cause they fear that it might upset other religous groups but all its going to do is incite racism.

I have always said that Racism is just another word for Ignorance.

Its incredible and very sad that this still goes on in the world.

Re: Morgan Freeman on "Black History month".

Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:11 pm

Sean Ryan wrote:I have always said that Racism is just another word for Ignorance.

Racism is also another word for Leverage.

claiming "racism" is often a bogus ploy to get something done, or changed.

and who dares question the authenticity of the racist claim ?!!?!?

if polkadot shirts are deemed to be racist, then zip! all polkadot shirts will be taken off the market.
A silly bogus claim - but hey, let's not offend nor question that claim
just do what the complainers want!

Example=>
If Morgan Freeman gets the term Black History Month changed or removed, then he successfully used the word "racism" as effective leverage.

Example=>
The prosecution of OJ Simpson for the double homicides was accused by many as being "racist"

bullsh*t - he was on trial for murder - not for being black.

----

BET is a cable network which stands for Black Entertainment Television

Hey! That's a racist title. Change that to Anybody Entertainment Television.

Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:07 pm

Im glad that you agree with me GG. :wink:

Sat Dec 17, 2005 7:20 am

Morgan Freeman is an extremely intelligent, articulate man whom I admire. He is completely correct when he states that talking about it simply promulgates it. After reading one of Lakeisha's threads, I thought about this, and I noticed that I didn't think of the people at my place of employment as of any particular race, either staff or kids. Then I thought the only ones that I notice of being of a particular race are the ones in my ethnicity. That's what's strange about race. I think most people don't think about it unless it pertains to themselves. If we could think the way Morgan thinks, we'd probably be racially free in a very short time. It simply makes sense.
sue

Sat Dec 17, 2005 7:26 am

silver wrote:Morgan Freeman is an extremely intelligent, articulate man whom I admire.

He has always been one of my favorites. Especially in Unforgiven, Seven, Driving Miss Daisy and The Shawshank Redemption.

I couldn't care less what the color of his skin is.

Sat Dec 17, 2005 7:52 am

Rob wrote:
silver wrote:Morgan Freeman is an extremely intelligent, articulate man whom I admire.

He has always been one of my favorites. Especially in Unforgiven, Seven, Driving Miss Daisy and The Shawshank Redemption.

I couldn't care less what the color of his skin is.

Rob, totally agree wit u on dat dude, I love doz films!!! :wink:

Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:07 pm

His part in Driving Miss Daisy should have been played by a white man. :wink:

Sat Dec 17, 2005 2:08 pm

One of the DVDs I got for my husband's birthday was The March of the Penguins because Morgan narrates it. We haven't seen it yet. We listened to Tracy Chapman's CD, Ruthie Foster's CD, David Tyree's CD (I bought two different ones, but they have the same material on them), The Raven, Downfall, The BeeGees, and The Beachboys, so far. I heard about some of those DVDs on this site!! We're enjoying them, and I'm enjoying some Elvis inbetween!! You know I didn't notice it, but now that I'm looking at my post, the first 3 items we looked at are by African Americans. Hmmmm, maybe I shouldn't have mentioned it, but it just came to my mind as I was looking at this. Now you can see that ethnicity really does NOT play a role in anything!! And, we should NOT mention it!!
sue

Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:31 am

Morgan Freeman is one of the best actors in the world and one of my personal favorites. He is one of a few actors that I would actually like to sit down and talk to. He is so nice of a person and so down to earth.

By the way, I agree with what he says about Black History Month or any black vs white issues. Just skip the racial crap and live and respect everyone regardless of color of skin.

jeff R

Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:47 am

Ruthie Foster, huh? I think she is from here, or at least has performed in this town a BUNCH of times.

Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:51 pm

Ruthie could very well be from Texas because we caught her on Austin City Limits and my husband really liked her!! She doesn't have very many albums out though. I could find only two (on Amazon). Our stores don't have her. Well I only went to Best Buy which carries a huge inventory!! Wish she had more out!!
sue