Off Topic Messages

Amusing Moments in (Rock) Music

Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:00 pm

Although Rock music is now considered art by most, it is not without a sense of humor. Probably since the beginning, artists have worked little jokes and amusing phrasing into their work to amuse listeners. And, of course, sometimes humor finds its way into a song without the performers’ intent. For example, Paul McCartney accidentally mixed up Desmond and Molly’s roles in the last verse of The Beatles’ “Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da” (“Desmond stays at home and does his pretty face/And in the evening she's a singer with the band”). What are some of your favorite comical moments in music?

The idea that inspired this thread was The Angels’ 1963 hit recording of “My Boyfriend’s Back.”

The song is about a guy who was spreading lies about the singer being unfaithful because she wouldn’t go out with him while her boyfriend was away. As the title indicates, her boyfriend’s back now, and the singer warns him about the repercussions. In itself, this doesn’t seem quite so funny, but when you hear a group like The Angels – angels probably being the greatest single archetype of kindness and compassion – sweetly sing lyrics like these

You're gonna be sorry you were ever born
'Cause he's kinda big and he's awful strong
Hey, he knows I wasn't cheatin'
Now you're gonna get a beatin'

You can’t help but be amused by the dichotomy of a group of girls sweetly singing about a guy getting the living daylights beaten out of him.

Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:40 pm

Yes, "My Boyfriend's Back" is a true classic, like so many other girlgroup singles. Those '60s girls recorded some of the best music ever! Have you heard the follow-up to "My Boyfriend's Back"? It's called "The Guy With the Black Eye". I think the title says it all! You don't mess with these girls and their boyfriends... :D

There are many glorious moments on "Growing Up Too Fast", a 2CD collection of girlgroup classics that is essential listening for every music fan. You'll find more love and drama here than on any Aretha Franklin record. Just take a listen to catchy and innocent yet ultra dramatic songs like "My Best Friend Barbara", "Wonder Boy" or "Wow Wow Wee (He's the Boy For Me)". It's so good it makes me cry!

:smt060

Keith Richards, Jr.

Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:25 pm

"It's My Party And I'll Cry If I Want To"

(Leslie Gore)
and her own sequel to that: "It's Judy's Turn To Cry"

- comical rock?

1960s TV sitcoms served up the most comical parodies of rock-n-roll/pop

Who can forget Jed Clampett dressed in a gold lame suit siging, "Oh Baby Well Baby Hey Baby Oh Baby"

Herman Munster singing "Dem Bones (The Bone Connection Song)"

Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:41 pm

The fine actor, Edmund O' Brien, singing, "Rock pile dust is on my shoes..." in the movie, "The Girl Can't Help It", with Jayne Mansfield.

What a rock star :lol:

Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:32 pm

Herman Munster singing "Dem Bones (The Bone Connection Song)"

The Pre or the Post nuthin' muffin version?

Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:10 am

There are many other sequels to "My Boyfriend's Back" one is called "So, Your Boyfriend's Back" where the hero's return doesn't do a whole lot. I've always wondered what the boyfriend thought when he returned and he found out the girlfriend set him up with this fight. The other guy could have been Sonny Liston. I know you gotta protect your girlfriend but beatings are not often so easy to hand out.

My most unintentionally funny moment is John Mellencamp's "Crumbling Down" when he says "I don't mind being their whipping boy/I had that pleasure for years and years". There is just something that kind of self-consciously absurd about that line that makes me crack up.

Also tops in the unintentionally funny category is "Eve of Destruction" a song that is over the top that it cracks me up in its entirety.

One of the most intentionally funny moments is in the Olympics "Western Movies" about a guy who can't his girl away from the TV set and the westerns that are shown on it. "Just got hit with a big red brick/"Thanks for reminding me it's time for Maverick." The concept and the rhyme are funny. Also, it gains a lot from the way it's said.

"Alley Oop" by the Hollywood Argyles is a record that absolutely kills me with its bizarre phrasing. "DINE O Soarrr" "He got a big ugly club and a head full of hawaaah" That's hair.

Sat Dec 17, 2005 2:06 am

following a train of thought on comical rock/pop heard on TV -

"Green Acres" has an episode in which Farmhand Eb keeps listening to a transistor radio waiting for a song so he can call in and win something by naming the song.

Several times this occurs in the show.

Well, the "song" is always a ridiculous boop-boop-boink, guitar riff, whatever
and each time Eb names a title more absurb than the last title.