Off Topic Messages

Goodbye Howard Stern

Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:58 am

You made me laugh...you grossed me out...you made me angry.

Never were you boring. Goodbye to a great radio personality(at least on terrestrial radio!).

Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:11 am

Great radio personality? I'm surprised Genesim.
Stern is / was the most offensive idiot to ever grace radio or TV.
Absolutely no loss. The world is better for it.

jeff R

Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:16 am

I don't listen his program, nor do I ever plan to. His interview with Bill O'Reilly last week was interesting though.

Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:45 am

well, Stern is coming to Sirius satelitte in January, and it seems to be causing alot of interest and anticipation.

In fact, I jus heard last weekend, since it was announced that Howard Stern was moving over to Sirius, sales actually surpassed XM in recievers and subscriptions for satellite radio by 40%:!:

Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:54 am

Rob wrote:I don't listen his program, nor do I ever plan to. His interview with Bill O'Reilly last week was interesting though.

Um...!!! And how do you know this??? :shock:

:P :wink:

Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:17 am

Because I do watch Bill O'Reilly.

Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:23 am

Rob wrote:Because I do watch Bill O'Reilly.

:oops:
:lol:

Re: Goodbye Howard Stern

Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:05 pm

genesim wrote:You made me laugh...you grossed me out...you made me angry.

Never were you boring. Goodbye to a great radio personality(at least on terrestrial radio!).

Howard Stern is a child.

This is the same idiot that interviewed Lisa Presley and said" I want to do you and your Mother and I want to dig up your Dad and asked his permission".

I would love to spend an hour with Mr.Stern in a room with a pair of pliers and a very sharp knife.

Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:19 pm

For those that know...know, for those that don't, wish they did.

Call him an idiot..call him a child..

But I will NEVER forget his reaction during 911. He was in total anger. He screamed bloody murder, and that was exactly what I was feeling.

So many others sugar coated it, but Howard Stern stands for the truth. His interviews are real...or as close as the FCC will allow.

I didn't hear it live..but I do remember when he saved that guy from jumping off the Washington Bridge.

And yes, I too would do Lisa Marie and her mother at the same time(well at least 10 years ago. :lol: ). I am not a hyprocrite and chastising Howard for saying it. Any fool who would take the rest seriously needs therapy. He isn't called a shock jock for nothing.

He like so many others talks about what people are afraid to say. Does he go overboard at times absolutely, but to be cutting edge, one must push the limits.

He is the #1 talk radio personality, and 20+ years makes him more then viable. The final show was so sad because it was the end of an era. Radio is complete CRAP now. Loaded down with commercial and castrated by the FCC.

Stern stood for freedom. Not surprisingly, this concept will be lost by some on here. Your right to do so.... as well as mine to like him.

For the most part, he makes me laugh my ass off.

He gave the "Retards" and "birth defects" a voice. Beetlejuice is a freakin celebrity! That guy is awesome!!! So many times I could help but feel moved when Howard has stepped up for those people.

Even in the end he just couldn't stop thanking people. And not the Celebrities...but the little men of the world. The real men.

Yes he was the last of a "dying breed". Last of the people that didn't care about celebrites....the last of the type of person who would crap all over a Michael Jackson trying to buy him out. Stern doesn't need those people, and eight plus years of listening to him off and on has made me realize how important he is to radio as well as popular entertainment.

How many times have you seen an interviewer kissing ass because of the "Star" in the seat. I laughed everytime when he tore the myths down. He spoke to people like they are regular guys. That is what we need more of.

Tear down the pedestals that we put people so high on.

Is he my favorite person..no. But I do understand importance when I see it.

Oh yeah, and yes I heard what he did to O Reilly.. As much as I liked him, Howard tore him a new ********. It was so funny.

Howard was speaking about the "O Relly" briefcase and T-shirt crap. And O Reilly says..but I give the money to charity...

Howard replies..if you wanna help. GIVE YOUR OWN MONEY TO CHARITY!!! How about taking away the total GARBAGE(or instead GIVING AWAY TO THE FANS) that just promotes yourself!

The only time I have ever seen O Reilly so flustered.

I remember him saying....Howard I know you are just kidding. Howard said..UH NO I AM NOT. I am speaking the truth. :lol: :lol:

For those that want to learn more about the legend that speaks for the common man:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howard_Stern

P.S. JEFF R. While you are sitting back and thinking that Stern is "gone". I got three letter for you HBO! Do you remember what they said about the Emmy dominating pay network in the past?

Stern is spearheading the movement. Started at 600,000...when Stern signed on it is now approaching 3 million!!

Sun Dec 18, 2005 3:45 am

Personally, I like Stern. A lot of people gripe about him, and I suppose a lot of it is justified. But, he doesn't take himself seriously, and neither should anyone else.

Lisa should not have been surprised by any questions she fielded from him, and I'm sure she wasn't.

Sun Dec 18, 2005 4:25 am

I don't know if Howard takes himself seriously or not. I do think he is honest about his feelings and speaks his feelings in a hilarious manner, which I understand is quite offensive to some people. Lenny Bruce was the same way. I think both are in the category of "Let's have free speech in this free country as it was meant in the Constitution." I also understand that many people don't think that that's what the Constitution meant when it spoke of free speech. Unfortunately, I do. Free speech is free speech. I think Lisa went on Stern's show because she likes him and she, also, speaks her mind (and all of you know she does)!!
sue

Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:21 am

I believe in free speech BUT free speech shouldn't hurt. Howard Stern constantly demeans and belittles everyone and everything.
Is this a good thing? How can it be?
The guy is an idiot and if he is respected by anyone, well, I feel sorry for those people.
The only people who could like Stern are people who like crudeness, vulgarities and mean-spiritness.
But who am I to say anything. I like the Three Stooges! But, at least, they were in films acting out scenes for make believe.

jeff R

Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:16 am

jeffreyjames wrote:The only people who could like Stern are people who like crudeness, vulgarities and mean-spiritness.
jeff R

that is so typical and so closeminded of you jeffrey... :roll:

I like Stern and I am in no way mean-spirited :!:

Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:39 am

Hey Jeff R has his opinion and I can respect that...

Still I feel that it is like alot of people that make fun of a band like Kiss for wearing makeup..or Eminem for cussing.

If that is all they see, then I feel sorry for them.

It is in fact FALSE, that all Stern does is put down people. Though he does speak quite bluntly, it is still not all he does. Sometimes it is warranted. Alot of times he is very kind to people and furthermore what cannot be ignored is the unknown's that he employs or promotes. Average Joe's who wouldn't otherwise be given the time of day.

I myself think that someone like Dana Plato needed more of what Stern gave her the few days before she died. She was a drug addict in denial and he called her on it.

As for Elvis, I am sure he would have done the same, because unlike alot of other hosts..he is not star struck. He has more respect for hookers and dregs of society then these so called "stars" who act like a bunch of hypocrites. To me there is very little difference in sleeping your way all over hollywood and stabbing people in the back....and people who have to make a living in less then "stellar" ways.

As for vulgarities and crudeness. Yes it is an undeniable fact of life.

But to me there are many great people I know who cuss like sailors and who are quite blunt, but yet I would trust them alot faster then some of the two faced punks that I have known in the past. Coworkers..priests...merchants...you name it. It is unbelievable how prim and proper they act in public, and then turn around and lead the most screwed up lives. Then turn around and chastise people for doing exactly as they do!!! :lol: :lol:

Still the real problem in the perception. The Three Stooges being an act and Stern isn't??? MANY MANY fans and guests have said how much nicer Stern is off camera. It is part of the show, and it is his way of getting to the truth. If the guests hate him so much, then why would they keep coming back!

Oh yeah here is a nice quote from the link:

Throughout the Spring of 2004, Stern was a very vocal and staunch critic of Mel Gibson and his religious epic, The Passion of the Christ. He called the film a "kook festival for a robotic freak audience" and even linked his radio suspension to the film, claiming that it was causing a "religious frenzy" and that anyone who went to see the movie is "stupid and ignorant". At one point Stern said that "Mel Gibson makes Hitler look like Gandhi."

I actually never heard him say this...I am beginning to like him even more. lol

Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:11 pm

"genesim"
He gave the "Retards" and "birth defects" a voice.

:lol: :lol: :lol: ....I guess that's why..... Oh, never mind too easy! :smt005

JEFF d
Elvis fan

Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:28 pm

genesim wrote:So many others sugar coated it, but Howard Stern stands for the truth ...

Yes! I loved Stern's declaration about the 2004 presidential election.

genesim wrote:... talks about what people are afraid to say ...

Oh yeah!

So when Stern -- more anti-Bush Jr. than ANY radio personality in the US -- begged his loyal listeners like you to NOT vote for Bush Jr. in November 2004 that must have really made you think.

DJC

Sun Dec 18, 2005 3:15 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: That´s great DJC!!!

Sincerely MB280E

Sun Dec 18, 2005 3:33 pm

"drjohncarpenter"
Stern-begged his loyal listeners like you to NOT vote for Bush Jr. in November 2004 that must have really made you think.

*please see post above....... :smt111

JEFF d
Elvis fan

Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:45 pm

I have no problem with his pollitics because it is after all free speech. If given the chance I would challenge him, but that doesn't mean that he ceases to be a great radio personality.

So..um what is the point again?

For the record, he did support Bush at one time and furthermore he has made many calls for Democrats and Republicans alike to come together for an agreement on the war.

Also he like me doesn't support an immediate withdrawal.

His dislike for Bush comes with regard to a personal matter like Bush affiliation with Clear Channel, and less about his war policies.

After all it was Stern that supported Clinton who in turn felt the need to start wars with Iraq....i.e. sailing missles into the territory.

The thing about Stern is that he even gives his opposers a voice and in fact will debate them even longer. Many times I feel he could hang up, but yet not only does he hear those people, but he seems to have a respect and at times will outright change his mind.

I can't count the number of times he actually said we have to back our president. He thought it was stupid that we were there, but he still at least says.."now that we are there, we have to make sure the job is done right"

Still that isn't his show and if I let pollitics sway me I wouldn't have anything to listen too. Liberals make the best entertainers. Why, because they base their career on lying. Actors...singers...commedians... Their first job is to entertain, rarely do we see the real person. So of course they are going to support Clinton and the rest of the lib heads. :lol:

Anyway, while you guys are yukking it up, what does his pollitics have to do with anything? Actually his freedom to speak his mind is nothing I am against. Him encouraging others falls right in line too. Just as I don't feel anyone on here should either, as long as it pertains FAIRLY to the rules of the board.

Jeff and Doc etc... making personal attacks because their arguement is weak is just not the same. If you are proven wrong then any man should admit it. I have many times, of course like slick willy many on here would rather blame others for the short comings.

Stern on the otherhand is the kind of person that I enjoy listening to, because he is neither of these thing. He is not above apologizing to guests and has several times in the past.

Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:01 pm

My bets are that you just like watching all the strippers when he has them on the radio! :smt007 :smt041 :smt030 :smt015

JEFF d
Elvis fan

Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:33 pm

Uh...no. It is the artistic quality. :oops:

Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:50 pm

Don't you worry none geno..... Mr. Stern isn't going anywhere...... you just have to pay to watch them strippers on the radio from now on though..... :smt055 :smt030 :smt015

JEFF d
Elvis fan

Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:23 pm

I don't care what anyone says, it was said with the 10 little indians effect.

Hearing Howard by himself as he was the last one giving a speech was haunting. Change can be great, but also change can be devastating. Time will tell, but one thing is for sure...it will never be the same.

The goodbye to FM radio was heartfelt and it effected me alot more then I thought it would as I was taking sample weights and listening to the headphones. :cry: