Off Topic Messages

Movie and TV DVD News

Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:34 pm

Here we go:

Disney has confirmed 3/14 as the release date for Chicken Little. Extras include deleted scenes, several alternate openings, music videos, and a game.

Peter Jackson's King Kong will street on or about April 11th. No word on extras as of yet, but you can count on several different versions from bare bones to Deluxe Collectors Special Once In A Lifetime Editions.

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment has announced a new collector's edition of Midnight Cowboy which stars Dustin Hoffman and Jon Voight. This John Schlesinger directed film, will arrive as a two-disc set from the 21st February.

Paramount has announced that a collector's edition of the 1953 classic Stalag 17 which stars William Holden, will street on March 21st.

I mentioned this in another thread, but a two-disc special edition of Tennessee Williams’ classic A Streetcar Named Desire will street on April 11th. Extras include commentary by Karl Malden, trailers, outtakes and several deleted scenes that were considered to "controversial" for the times.

Warner has annouced that several "Television Favorites" will release six episode "Best Of Collections" starting in February and continueing through August. Some of the shows include Step by Step, Family Matters, Welcome Back Kotter, Night Court, The Drew Carey Show, Alice and Perfect Strangers. DO NOT MISTAKE THESE FOR SEASON SETS!!!!!

Tom

Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:50 am

I'm really troubled by these "Best Of" TV show packages being released recently. I would think that a real fan of these shows would want the whole season or series. Most season sets are very affordable except for Star Trek, X-Files and a few others.
Which fans are they aiming these sets at?
Also, I believe, they are very deceiving because of the popularity of the season sets. Some people may purchase them for themselves or gifts thinking that they are buying a whole season. Imagine all of the upset people. The thing is, once it is open, you can't return them to a store except for the same item.

I plan on seeing King Kong this Sunday. I can't wait!

jeff R

Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:55 am

It's tough to know who they're aiming at Jeff even though I can see the appeal. A show like Night Court has a handful of shows that kill me. The rest leave me cold. I could go for a best of set if it had the eps that I like.

Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:16 pm

I've been begging for a season series of the tv show Alice for a long time. I'm a bit disappointed that they chose to go the Best Of route.

Maybe if sales are good they'll give us the full season series.

If they don't, then they can "kiss my grits!" :lol:

Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:35 pm

These "best of" sets are basically a tool to gauge fan interest in this show or that before they go to the expense of producing season sets. The studios very cleverly set up these online polls to get fans to "vote" on what episodes they want on the sets, when, in actuality, they are merely seeing how many folks are interested in the first place.

Tom