Off Topic Messages

Sam Cooke's version of 'Frankie and Johnny'.

Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:38 pm

I,ve just heard Sam Cooke's version of 'Frankie and Johnny' and i thought it was awesome.

Much better than Elvis's version.

Sam Cooke was a fantastic singer and i wished he recorded more stuff like this cause his voice was incredible.

Very sad that his life was taken away in such stupid circumtances. :cry:

Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:53 am

Hey, Sean baby! We agree on something at last!!!! Wanna come to my Christmas party?

Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:47 am

For some reason a lot of singers had popular success with this song in the early to mid-60s. Brook Benton (another great voice) also had a decent size hit with it.

I have never much liked it though. The lyrics are good but the melody is kind of awkward and singer can't really cut loose with the song.

I have noticed that Elvis and Cooke share a lot of fans. In fact, I know a lot of people, myself included, who rank Elvis and Cooke as their personal one and two. Perhaps the assurance and emotional commitment they bring to their material as well a lack of condescension make them alike.

Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:45 pm

Sam Cooke had a great voice and a big talent and we were privated of his talent when he was in the peak.

Never heard his version of 'Frankie and Johnny'. I will look for it.

Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:03 am

Even better than Sam Cooke's version of F&J is Jerry Lee's Sun cut of it and Johnny Cash's Columbia version (as 'Frankie's Man Johnny').

Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:13 am

i haven't heard it, but i just want to say my introduction to sam cooke was the animal house soundtrack. definitely a great singer. :D

Re: Sam Cooke's version of 'Frankie and Johnny'.

Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:56 pm

Sean Ryan wrote:I,ve just heard Sam Cooke's version of 'Frankie and Johnny' and i thought it was awesome.

Much better than Elvis's version.

There are many versions which outshine the Elvis one.

For instance: Lonnie Donegan, Acker Bilk & Gene Vincent.

Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:36 pm

I have heard alot of different versions of Frankie and Johnny but I just can stop playing the Sam Cooke version.His voice is just so great in it and the orchestra is amazing.
Sam did do a 'live' version of it in 1963 ,i think at the Apollo.

I think you can get it on one of Sam's greatest hits CD.

Hey Tits McGhee, would love to go to your Xmas party but you live in the Deep South dont you.Quite far from me im afraid.

Glad you like Sam as well as me. :wink:

Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:37 pm

likethebike wrote:For some reason a lot of singers had popular success with this song in the early to mid-60s. Brook Benton (another great voice) also had a decent size hit with it.

I have never much liked it though. The lyrics are good but the melody is kind of awkward and singer can't really cut loose with the song.

I have noticed that Elvis and Cooke share a lot of fans. In fact, I know a lot of people, myself included, who rank Elvis and Cooke as their personal one and two. Perhaps the assurance and emotional commitment they bring to their material as well a lack of condescension make them alike.

Brook Benton is another of my favourite singers.
Try and get a copy of a song he did called'I wanna Do Everything For you'.
It sounds just like 'Dont Be Cruel'.