Off Topic Messages

Richard Pryor R.I.P.

Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:31 am

Announced today at 3:18 CST:

Richard Pryor, one of America's funniest and smartest comedians, dead at the age of 65 of a heart attack.

R.I.P.

Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:27 am

My first memories of Richard Pryor was when I was a kid in elementary school and saw the movie Silver Streak. Very funny man.

Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:54 am

A groundbreaking talent, a sad loss. RIP Richard........

Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:00 am

A genuine comedic genius who was the architect for much of modern comedy. His insightful and passionate voice will be truly be missed. He was something special.

Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:05 am

This is terrible news, I didn't know untill I read this thread.... man that guy could have me and my friends rolling in the floor back in the 80s!! He was great no doubt! RIP

JEFF d
Elvis fan

Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:21 am

This makes me very sad. I have recently got on a "kick" renting all his stuff. He sure was funny, but I admit I like his later stuff the best. He was a troubled man, but that human quality is what made him so good.

"You are my friend, my pal, my domino partner, and the funniest motherf*cker in the world today."
-- Willie Nelson

Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:46 am

R.I.P Richard Prior.

Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:26 am

In the mid-80's I loved Richard Pryor's stand-up comedy concert films. He was a funny, talented man. He certainly had his personal demons, but that drove his art. RIP Richard Pryor.

Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:32 am

Stir Crazy is one of the funniest films I've ever seen. Richard Pryor and Gene Wilder made a great double act.

A sad loss.

Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:21 am

I remember as a small kid my friend's dad took us to see the The Toy at the movies and I loved it.

a while after that I remember going to see the other movie he did with Gene Wilder, See No Evil, Hear No Evil and thought that wuz great as well.

As a teen, I also really liked Pryor opposite Eddie Murphy and Red Foxx in Harlem Nights 8)

R.I.P RICHARD PRYOR

Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:42 am

The films he did with Gene Wilder were fantastic...Stir Crazy and See no evil, Hear no evil were funny as hell.

A true comedy talent...who will be greatly missed.....

Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:12 pm

My fave film of Richard Pryor was the drama "Blue Collar", in which he co-starred with Harvey Keitel and Yaphet Kotto. There was a real tension about that film. I never thought his comedy films really captured him at his best. He was a great stand up comic.

Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:16 pm

That's because the majority of his films tried to tame what was subversive and brilliant about him. Even so he was so engaging screen presence in many films.

Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:22 pm

R.I.P. Richard Pryor.

I like his quote, "When Elvis was in the room he was, IN the F***ing room!" or words to that effect. :oops:

He was a really funny guy. He'll be missed by a great many people world-wide.

Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:39 am

That was actually Eddie Murphy's quote.

Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:43 am

He was not exactly my kind of comedian (neither was Jackie Kahane) but he was loved by millions. When you ask many young comedians who their inspiration is, the reply is usually Richard Pryor.

May he rest in peace.

Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:00 am

likethebike, thanks :oops: Eileen beat you to it by pm :lol:

I must be getting old............ I am getting old!

I knew I should have checked the source.

I liked Pryor more than I like Murphy...althougH he IS a MURPHY :lol:

Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:16 pm

I really enjoyed STIR CRAZY and BLUE COLLAR and a few others and generally liked him. "Larry King Live' rebroadcast a very touching late '80s interview the other night. (It's funny how old the '80s look now.)

Part of me says the media is tripping over themselves to praise Pryor.
And I say that as someone who knows he was cutting edge for a time.

I liked him a lot of the time and think he was hugely important to comedy, but let's not get carried away.

Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:24 am

I think he deserves the praise Greg. He is the building block for modern comedy and when he was at its best he blended comedy and pathos in a manner that no contemporary comedian can touch. He was consistently groundbreaking and in his generation an important commentator on race relations. Like Bill Cosby, who was also a tremendous comedian and given the right role and director a good actor, Pryor crossed over into the white mainstream but unlike Bill Cosby being black was the center of his set. And unlike Lenny Bruce, who also pushed the envelope in acceptability, Pryor's best stuff isn't tied into any one time and there was also a greater purpose to his envelope pushing.

He even co-wrote one of the funniest movies of all time in "Blazing Saddles".

The main thing that I think would dampen appreciation of him is the fact that it has been so long since his breakthrough and you really have to dig up his original comedy albums or the two standup films, both of which are rarely broadcast anymore, to appreciate it. Today, every black comedian addresses race and sex with frank language. They learned most of that from Richard Pryor. It's easy to get that list of mostly harmless movies out of your mind. And even today's comedians can't touch Pryor in those stunning moments of truth that used to come out on stage and there were usually a few a show that would just stop the audience cold making them think rather than laugh.

Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:26 pm

Oh, don't get me wrong. I do like him and think he was terrific in many respects.

It's just some of the fawning praise bothers me. And if they can't play
much of that comedy, what does it say about it? Or us?

Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:48 pm

LTB.............I`m almost embarrassed to say, despite Blazing Saddles being one of my all time fave films, i was not aware Richard Pryor was one of the writers.

Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:14 pm

I read that he "wrote" the gas scene, and that's it. :shock:

Anyone?

Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:37 pm

Odd then that his co-writers gave him credit (long before his death) for far more considerable contributions. In fact, Mel Brooks took credit in the commentary on the DVD for the gas scene. However, he has been consistently overflowing with praise for Pryor's work elsewhere in the film.

Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:14 am

I think Pryor is one of those rare people that deserve fawning praise. Like I said, it's hard to tell from his movies where he was just another talented comedian. And like I said so many comics copied him that it seems blase' but he was working on such a different level at the peak of his skill as a standup performer that you can't even make a comparison one to one with those performers because Pryor is operating in his own realm.

I also think comedy in general doesn't get enough respect both in the movies and TV and on stage.

Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:27 am

I agree with the majority of you. He was intellectually quick and had the true sense of "hilarious."
sue