Off Topic Messages

The World Cup draw

Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:32 am

Well here it is folks! The draw in full.....

GROUP A
Germany
Costa Rica
Poland
Ecuador

GROUP B
England
Paraguay
Trinidad & Tobago
Sweden

GROUP C
Argentina
Ivory Coast
Serbia & Montenegro
Holland

GROUP D
Mexico
Iran
Angola
Portugal

GROUP E
Italy
Ghana
USA
Czech Republic

GROUP F
Brazil
Croatia
Australia
Japan

GROUP G
France
Switzerland
South Korea
Togo

GROUP H
Spain
Ukraine
Tunisia
Saudi Arabia

Hosts Germany appear to have a fairly easy draw and England can't complain! Spain and France should win their groups while groups C & E look very close for the second qualifying place. The 'Socceroos' seemed delighted to be drawn in Brazil's group and I think they have a great chance of going through. It will be tough for the USA as the Czechs are a good side.

As for England, we will be looking to have the group wrapped up by the final match as we won't want to come 2nd and face Germany in Munich in the 2nd round. Poland would be a better draw.

Roll on June it will be a great tournament. :D

Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:27 am

GROUP F
Brazil
Croatia
Australia
Japan

This group will not be so easy. As my grandfather said: Australia is a good team and created lots of problems for Uruguay.

Croatia was a big surprise in 1998 and we never know. Japan is not so strong but I donĀ“t know what happens everytime Brazil plays with Japan. Always a hard game!

But I will make sure to watch Argentina x Holland. This must be the best game of the first round.

Win the best!

Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:08 am

Exactly if they are not 1st or 2nd on their group, they go home early.

Re: The World Cup draw

Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:20 am

Delboy wrote:Hosts Germany appear to have a fairly easy draw and England can't complain!

I'm from Sweden and my thoughts are: Trinidad-Tobago should be a fairly easy game, Paraguay will be a much more diffucult one, and England... well, we never lose against England and I can't see why we would start now! At first glance it seems to me that this is a pretty nice group for us to be in. However, there are no easy matches in the World Cup. Like you said Group A seems to be the weakest group.

I'm glad we didn't have to face Brazil, Argentina, Croatia or South Korea.

Now, bring it on! I swear I'll watch every single minute of this tournament!

Keith Richards, Jr.

Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:12 pm

Being a flag waving Scot, married to an Irishman, with children born in England..yes I know... :roll: I will of course be hopefully, cheering England on, but as I know so many FECCers from around the world, if your team is playing I`ll be there..if only in spirit...lol

There are now so many good teams, nothing should be dismissed as "EASY" .... I always enjoy watching Holland, I really do hope they do well this time :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:18 pm

For the U.S., the World Cup is sort of the opposite of the World Series. The world is actually involved, but we don't give a flip about the results.

Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:28 pm

Of course Germany has the most easiest group. As usual, LUCKY!!!. Holland has a heavy draw. But remember 1998.

Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:43 pm

All this baloney about "there`s no such thing as an easy game in the world cup", is crap.

There are several teams that are only there to make up the numbers, Saudi, Togo, Tunisia, Japan, USA, Ghana, Iran, Ivory Coast, Trinidad and Tobago. Any team worth their salt should break little sweat beating these teams, saying anything else is just an excuse.

As usual, despite have many good players,and indeed a few world class players, it will once again go pear-shaped for England. To be the best, you got to beat the best, and we never manage to that in competition.

Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:38 am

Ezzz wrote:As usual, despite have many good players,and indeed a few world class players, it will once again go pear-shaped for England. To be the best, you got to beat the best, and we never manage to that in competition.

To be fair, last time we were knocked out by the eventual winners, Brazil, and it was a close game. Depends what you mean by pear shaped I suppose. If you mean we won't win the tournament, that's probably true. With all players fit, we should put in a good showing though.
I see us winning the first two and drawing the Sweden game. We don't tend to beat the Swedes, but I can't see us losing against them either.

Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:21 pm

Agreed TJ. We have a mid field to die for, infact we have a team to die for. Its just getting them all to play as a team thats seems to be the problem.

I`m really looking forward to next summer.

Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:53 pm

The key to England's potential success is that they stay injury free. That cost them the game against Brazil. Beckham, Owen, Gerrard and Neville were all injured in Japan. The first goal was conceded because Beckham wasn't fit and wouldn't go into the tackle and Seaman was on his way down as a keeper. In Euro 2004 Ferdinand and Campbell were injured then we lost Rooney! If all players stay fit and they play to the top of their game we have a great chance.

Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:04 pm

I hope Ferdinand gets injured again Dellboy, dodgy concentration, despite his talent.

Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:58 pm

Errol,

I agree. In Euro 2004 Ferdinand was a key player though Terry is the main man in the centre of defence now. It's a toss up between Ferdinand and Campbell for the 2nd spot. When it comes to centre backs and centre midfield we're flooded with talent. If England are going to win the world cup it's this one.

Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:21 pm

Althought Owen played the full 90mins at Newcastle, he`s got a long way to go to be match fit :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:26 pm

Being a Birmingham City supported I am used to watching quality players and quality performances :oops:. World Cup should be just a like an home game for me.

Roll on next June.