Off Topic Messages

Marty Robbins

Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:38 pm

Marty Robbins died 23 years ago today.

Marty covered Elvis' That's All Right single in 1954.

Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:39 pm

......and wrote You Gave Me A Mountain.

Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:25 pm

...and was a fantastic singer!

Keith Richards, Jr.

Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:29 pm

...... forgot to mention he was just 57.................

Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:09 pm

I remember watching him on TV a few years after Elvis died and before singing YGMAM he said that Elvis did it great but that it was HIS song! In a joking and playful way.

Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:03 pm

I saw the same interview. I have several country music awards shows on DVD that he either accepted an award, performed, or both.

You just had to like that guy.

Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:04 pm

He was a very good singer... He also recorded the song "Padre", didnĀ“t he ?

BTW, "Padre" is one of my favourites songs that Elvis recorded! :D

Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:06 pm

He was a great singer. I was able to listen to many songs and I have to say he was a very talentous guy.

A song that I particular like is "Hanging Tree". Simple song but sung so nice!

Well remembered ColinB!

Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:14 am

On a CD I have he sings a short version of "My Woman, My Woman, My Wife", very good performance.

Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:34 am

I once had the 45 single, "Singing the Blues." Great singer!! I think it was another record that my brother threw out!! Gosh, Colin, I didn't realize that he died so young!! I wonder what it is about fame that takes you away so soon?? Or is that an over-generalization?
sue

P.S. I'm staying up extra late tonight because I'm taking the day off tomorrow!! Jury duty and letting a drug dealer go scot-free is very tiring!! Well, 11 others voted that way, too!! Why am I saying this on a Marty Robbins post?? Nobody knows.

Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:37 pm

"Big Iron" is a great Robbins recording.

DJC

Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:05 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:"Big Iron" is a great Robbins recording.

DJC

Yeah. I like all his cowboy songs, although they are not my favourite Marty Robbins recordings. Recently I came across an LP called "Adios Amiga" which has has a nice version of "My Happiness" on it. Yes, Marty Robbins was a very talanted guy and he had an amazing voice. It bugs me that so many of the great country singers from the past are totally ignored in music magazines these days. Magazines like Mojo and Uncut should be ashamed of themselves! :D

Keith Richards, Jr.

Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:05 pm

You cannot help but love this man's music.

From pop's " White Sport Coat", country's trail blazing "El Paso" which should've been too lengthy to chart, the blues with "Devil Woman", calypso with "Don't Worry", and gospel with "Padre", Marty did it all.

My personal favourite is his hauntingly beautiful "Among My Souveners". Very lush orchestration, with a subdued delivery.

Ralph Emery recollected that in the sixties, Robbins would often disguise his voice and call in to Ralph's radio show during the wee hours. His request was to "play something by that singing sensation, Marty Robbins"!

Even with a terrible heart condition, he kept up with his favourite pastime of racing cars semi professionsally.

He left us with a great musical legacy.

Marty

Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:06 am

I thought that he also sung Aloha-e :D