Off Topic Messages

Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:27 am

likethebike wrote:Still those early records especially "I Should Have Known Better" can really take me where I want to go. I'm sad that he died so young and so tragically, but I'm glad that he lived.

Amen to that Brotha :!:

Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:34 am

I never claimed Lennon was a dope addict at the time of his death/1980.

Do not misconstrue me.
The decrepid decayed far-out freak-out weird narcotic-induced Lennon (which is not to be admired --- nor worshipped)
is the way he was of the 1969/Beatles break-up well into 197? whatever until he finally got his sh*t together.

Mourn the loss of this guy...
not that Yoko-this Yoko-that Cold Turkey Christ-wanna-be bag crap Lennon
what was he thinking ???!?!??

JOHN LENNON 1940 - 1980

"He was all about peace and love, but he never sent any of it home."
- Julian Lennon
Last edited by Graceland Gardener on Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:21 pm

Graceland Gardener wrote:Doc sees a righteous infallible music hero.....

...I see a junkie in need of detox, delousing and deodorant.

to stay on topic ----

I cannot recall where I was or doing on 12-8-80. I did notice at a K-Mart a few weeks(?) later that they were selling tribute t-shirts with his name, likeness and obit dates. $$$.

The early '62-65 John stuff is good music.
The 1980-81 singles are good songs. Yes!
But the hippie phase is a turn-off.

Good lord, this picture. I knew the both of them were ugly, but didnt know that ugly. Looks like the freak-show. I was old enough to realize what happened around me when Elvis died, even when i didnt know who Elvis was. The world really stood still for a second. This was definintly not the case when jl died. Its truly amazing how someone like jl, who has no charisma at all and wrote average songs (solo/beatles), is liked by people who really think he was great. While he's not.

Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:40 pm

Before John went insane....

here he is vacationing with his beautiful wife Cynthia (Julian's mum)

Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:43 pm

3577 wrote:Its truly amazing how someone like jl, who has no charisma at all and wrote average songs (solo/beatles), is liked by people who really think he was great. While he's not.

Everyone, please welcome the truly amazing Albert Einstein.

DJC

Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:39 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
3577 wrote:Its truly amazing how someone like jl, who has no charisma at all and wrote average songs (solo/beatles), is liked by people who really think he was great. While he's not.

Everyone, please welcome the truly amazing Albert Einstein.

DJC

Dear God , here we go again. The ''lawyer of JL on a Elvis :roll: MB'' is of course defending his client. Its just pathetic that this ''lawyer'' thinks he knows everything about music. So when someone's else opinion doesnt fit his, he starts to be sarcastic (as usual).

My regards,

A. Einstein

Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:33 pm

GG's intellectually-restricted, emotionally-stunted and petty-minded attempts to link Lennon with racism by virtue of the song "Woman is the deleted - see guidelines #2 of the World", has got to be the most ridiculous proposition on this message board, since someone made the warped conclusion that the Elvis song "Night Rider", was indeed a kind of musical "tip-of-the-hat" by the King to the Ku Klux Klan!!!! And who offered this conclusion? Why GG of course!
Just thought I'd let you all know what sort of mentality we're dealing with here- as if you didnt know already.

BTW, I'd like to ask the admin on this board how long they intend to allow this character to continually flout the guidelines? Surely he must be banned?

Graceland Gardener wrote:WRONG AGAIN DOC.
I'm a Taurus.

Gee! That'll explain why you're so full o' bull.

Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:37 pm

surfcat...... Doc's other log-in name? :roll:

Reach 200 at least on the post # and I'll dignify your comments with a real response.

Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:40 pm

Yet another example of your small-mindedness and inherent elitism. Dignity, I fear, is completely alien to your nature- regardless of post count. Take a day off Mr Bull.

Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:53 pm

Mr. Bull --- I like it.

Sorry buddy - I got teflon and thick-skinned enough to take you on.

I shall address your comment:

1. I didn't say Lennon was racist. (tho he was callously cruel in making fun of retarded people)
But the WITNOTW post was asking Doc (yes me ask him - he know all answers) why Lennon used the word 'deleted - see guidelines #2' at all!

2. Night Rider - an early 60s song with that title sure as hell wasn't inspired by David Hasselhoff's talking car!

Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:12 pm

Graceland Gardener wrote:2. Night Rider - an early 60s song with that title sure as hell wasn't inspired by David Hasselhoff's talking car!

Fine. What was it inspired by then?

Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:28 pm

surfcat wrote:
Graceland Gardener wrote:2. Night Rider - an early 60s song with that title sure as hell wasn't inspired by David Hasselhoff's talking car!

Fine. What was it inspired by then?

I suggest you ask the *^%$#@ SONGWRITER

Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:30 pm

Have you asked him? Just so that you know, it wont be possible for me as he died in 1991- a Jewish New Yorker who sang the Blues. Yeah definitely a Klan fan :? :roll:

Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:50 pm

surfcat wrote:a Jewish New Yorker who sang the Blues. Yeah definitely a Klan fan :? :roll:

Your assertions - not mine.

Are you so g**damn dense?

For a term like 'night rider' to be bandied about in 1960-63 era,
it's most likely due to its KKK origin.

Simple as that.

Or maybe the song title was inspired by Santa Claus - he rides at night.

Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:58 pm

What a strange, insulting and preposterous thread this has become. The post was started to remember Lennon 25 years fater his murder and it has turned into a slugfest by people who don't know anything about anything.
People are criticising Lennon for what he did as a very young person. Who of us has done something just as bad or worse? Does that me us worthless twenty years later when we straighten our lives out? Does this make us worthless even after death?
The guy made some mistakes and had some sidesteps to his life. Who hasn't?
Like I've mentioned in other threads:
I've participated in an abortion
I stole things
I used all kinds of drugs
I've abused alcohol
I smoked for 35 years
I had sex outside of marriage

I've done all kinds of things that I'm not happy about. They are done. I can't take them back. I'm forgiven.

Surely John Lennon can be forgiven for the things he did.
Let it be. He wasn't a saint. Was Elvis? We are all fans of Elvis. We don't have to all be fans of Lennon. But we don't have to abuse his choices. We don't know where his heart was. Only God knows that.

By the way.........I miss you John Lennon!

jeff R

Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:39 am

ahh Jeff, you didn't let me down. I was reading ur post slowly all the way down, and I knew u just couldn't leave Elvis out of it, could ya? thats the problem i have with those kinda posts u and ur characters such as the Doc, etc.. you can't just defend for intelligence sake, u gotta get back at the big E, dont ya? :wink:

Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:02 am

Who wants a saint anyway? Most people can relate to a real human being much better.

By the way, Jeff in no way insulted Elvis.

Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:10 am

his snide comment was bringing down Elvis. Defend Lennon, leave Elvis out of it!

Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:12 am

Kylan wrote:his snide comment was bringing down Elvis. Defend Lennon, leave Elvis out of it!

I dont' think he was trying to be snide.... he was saying do you mourn the lose of the '56 Elvis more than the lose of the '77 Elvis.... hoping one would understand the analogy since we are Elvis fans.... meaning that Lennon fans still miss him even with all his faults and such. It's not that hard to grasp.... come on!

JEFF d
Elvis fan

Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:28 am

JeffreyJames didn't do these things he regrets...
on the world's stage
with 70 million fans taking their p&q's from the way he lives and conducts himself and being influenced by what he indulges in or how he behaves.

Big difference!

Stan Lee said: "With great power comes great responsibility"

and given a great power, Lennon was often irresponsible with it.

Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:55 am

Graceland Gardener wrote:

Good Lord... you do realise that we are talking about real people here and not friggin SPIDERMAN!!! Dont you?????? Sheeezzzzzz!!

JEFF d
Elvis fan

Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:46 am

I wasn't slamming Elvis. I was just saying that Lennon did stupid things, Elvis did stupid things, I did stupid things. We all have done stupid things.
It's life. No one's perfect and we make mistakes. Lennon straighten his life out pretty much towards the end. He was, after all, only 40 or so when he was murdered. He gave up his music career for 5 years to raise his son. He was at the top of his game and quit to raise his kid. He may have had faults but that is something to respect him for.

We may not have liked the things he did in the late sixties - early 70's but it was a different time and he was young. I lived through that period and it was really something. It was cool to do drugs and grow your hair. I had hair down to my butt at that time. Why should that mean that we are still what we were 30-35 years ago? People change. Some for the better and some for the worse but we do change.

Lennon changed and I have nothing but respect for his changes. In case anyone wonders, I did not care for many of the things he did during his "strange" period. Past antics by people who do grow and change only make us stronger human beings and we should feel good about that.

jeff R

Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:47 pm

JEFF d wrote:

Good Lord... you do realise that we are talking about real people here and not friggin SPIDERMAN!!! Dont you?????? Sheeezzzzzz!!

JEFF d
Elvis fan

:?:

Did The Beatles change the world?

Yes or No question.

If the answer is "yes" -----

then that's one hell of a Great Power.

Compound that by millions of people wanting to be like you...do like you....dress like you....wear their hair like you...behave like you....mirror you.....etc.

Stan Lee's maxim applies to real life.
Real people get real power, and will either be responsible with that power, or irresponsible.

Rarely has any rock star/celeb felt responsible for power. F** it and do whatever. Who cares about the influence on impressionable fans.

John Lennon can't even go thru a divorce and new marriage with subtlety or dignity - he made it into a ridiculous headline-grabbing carnival freaky far-out bed-in gimmick with naked cover LP

EMI didn't even have the backbone and intestinal fortitude to say 'no' but released whatever gibberish avant garde junk John wanted
---- his power at the label y'know.

As JJ pointed out, by 1980, John had gotten his sh*t together, and was cleaned up, and writing good catchy songs again - that's great.
And that's what makes it all the more sad and tragic he was killed.
The Senseless Timing.

Had he been murdered in 1970, for example, people would've thought that was par for the course. Crazy Lennon - crazy fan - saw it coming. And I doubt very much the world would mourn the loss...as much.

No matter how you look at it, it is sad that Fred & Julia's little boy met such a violent demise.

Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:26 pm

surfcat wrote:a Jewish New Yorker who sang the Blues. Yeah definitely a Klan fan :? :roll:

Your assertions - not mine.

Wrong again- these arent my assertions. That's a matter of fact, buddy.
Which part of my post do you consider "g**damn dense"?
BTW, spare me the ridiculous PM's. Re: your comment "And while we're on the subject, Elvis did not like hippies or draftdodgers." It didn't seem to affect his respect for Muhammed Ali- who was also black, in case you haven't noticed.
Good luck with the Spiderman philosophy class- glad you've made it up a level :wink:

Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:41 am

Graceland Gardener wrote:Your assertions - not mine.

For a term like 'night rider' to be bandied about in 1960-63 era,
it's most likely due to its KKK origin.

How low can you go? It's obvious who is dense, bigoted, racist, homophobic and more.

On the other hand, Surfcat knows what he's talking about.

"Night Rider" was specially written for Elvis in tribute to his love of riding his Harleys around LA at night. They knew he'd find the subject irresistable for recording. Anyone with knowledge of the man and his music knows this fact.

DJC