Off Topic Messages

John Lennon - 25 years

Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:18 am

John Lennon was murdered 25 years ago today. For UK members there's a programme on Channel 4 tonight at 10 PM about that day, 'I killed John Lennon'.

To mark the 25th anniversary of John Lennon's death, this film exclusively tells the story of the legendary singer's assassination: in the words of his killer Mark David Chapman. I Killed John Lennon reveals a series of taped interviews that Chapman conducted with journalist Jack Jones in prison, while dramatically reconstructing key events from the day of the killing.

I Killed John Lennon also includes contributions from key witnesses and observers who have been close to the Chapman story over the past 25 years. Tracking the totally different yet parallel lives of Chapman and Lennon, while examining the killer's psychosis and obsession with his victim, this fascinating insight into the mind of a murderer also investigates Chapman's interest in JD Salinger's The Catcher in the Rye and Lennon's relationship with the Nixon administration and the FBI in the early 1970s.

Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:20 pm

Looks like an interesting programme - though from the trailors it also sounds a bit creepy!

Radio 2 have a John Lennon night as well - and Radio 6 are having a John Lennon day.

RIP John

Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:21 pm

I was driving to work about 3:30 in the morning when I first heard the news. "John Lennon has been shot to death."

Doesn't really seem that long ago.

http://music.msn.com/music/lennonessayone

Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:42 pm

I was a sophomore in high school when I heard the news. The clock/radio was set to wake me for school, and that was the lead news story.

I then ate a hearty breakfast of eggs and walrus.

Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:46 pm

I was watching the Tonight Show and they had the news flash scroll across the bottom of the screen... much like how I first heard when Elvis had died.

JEFF d
Elvis fan

Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:42 pm

R.I.P. John Winston Lennon

Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:02 pm

I was a junior in high school and teacher very distressed told us the news.

Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:03 pm

I wasn´t born in that time.

Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:05 pm

Renan wrote:I wasn´t born in that time.

Me too.. :P

Well, I don´t like John Lennon that much.. He could write very good lyrics, but a terrible singer! :x

Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:51 pm

It is indeed sad that this boy met such a tragic fate.

John at a cool phase -

It's a grim cautionary tale....
of what can happen when a rockstar wants to become an iconic leader
for drugged-up misguided fans and his own wanna-be's.

Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:04 pm

Why is there such a media frenzy about this? Has this also been the case with Elvis on his death anniversaries? ...just curious

Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:13 pm

Marco Aurelio wrote:

Well, I don´t like John Lennon that much.. He could write very good lyrics, but a terrible singer! :x

Oh shush!

:roll:

Jules

Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:36 pm

Well, I don´t like John Lennon that much.. He could write very good lyrics, but a terrible singer! - Marco Aurelio

I don't agree. John Lennon had a great voice for rock n' roll. He also sang some great ballads. He may not have had a great range but to say he was a terrible singer is way off.

I just got engaged the week before Lennon's murder. The news was really sad. It was, to me, more shocking than Elvis' death. Somehow I expected Elvis to die soon but not an icon like Lennon being murdered.

jeff R

Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:41 pm

familyjules wrote:
Marco Aurelio wrote:

Oh shush!

:roll:

Jules

We have to admit his voice was nothing superb. He was limited but still a good musician.

Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:44 pm

jeffreyjames wrote:I don't agree. John Lennon had a great voice for rock n' roll. He also sang some great ballads. He may not have had a great range but to say he was a terrible singer is way off.

Jules in agreeing with Jeffrey James shocker!! :lol:

Lennon had some REAL power in his voice and character too - both go a long way in my book.

Jules

Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:46 pm

Renan wrote:We have to admit his voice was nothing superb. He was limited but still a good musician.

Jules in disagreeing with Renan shocker! :wink:

Is that the "Royal 'we'" you're using there, Renan? Because I don't have to agree with anything of the sort - I thought his voice was absolutely superb!

He was John Lennon! He was The King Of England!

Miss him terribly. :cry:

Jules

Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:52 pm

Lennon is in the top 10 rock voices easily in my opinion.

Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:52 pm

I was watching "Monday Night Football" on television when Howard Cosell made the announcement. I had just rekindled my appreciation of the Beatles with the release of "Double Fantasy," so the news hit me kind of hard.

He was a unique character and very talented.

RIP, John.

Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:00 pm

It is very tragic that the media revert to giving the idiot that murdered John any media exposure. They should show John Lennon material instead.

Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:29 pm

familyjules wrote:
Renan wrote:We have to admit his voice was nothing superb. He was limited but still a good musician.

Jules in disagreeing with Renan shocker! :wink:

Is that the "Royal 'we'" you're using there, Renan? Because I don't have to agree with anything of the sort - I thought his voice was absolutely superb!

He was John Lennon! He was The King Of England!

Miss him terribly. :cry:

Jules

Renan agreeing with Jules shocker! :wink:

Yes I shouldn´t have used "we". But I say that because I compare with Elvis Presley, Freddie Mercury, Joe Cocker and others. Their voices are much stronger. Of course it is unfair IMO to compare any of them with Jonh Lennon.

But that´s IMO.

Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:01 pm

Jth wrote:Why is there such a media frenzy about this? Has this also been the case with Elvis on his death anniversaries? ...just curious

Yes.

Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:31 pm

jeffreyjames wrote:Well, I don´t like John Lennon that much.. He could write very good lyrics, but a terrible singer! - Marco Aurelio

I don't agree. John Lennon had a great voice for rock n' roll. He also sang some great ballads. He may not have had a great range but to say he was a terrible singer is way off.

I just got engaged the week before Lennon's murder. The news was really sad. It was, to me, more shocking than Elvis' death. Somehow I expected Elvis to die soon but not an icon like Lennon being murdered.

jeff R

I don´t know..... It´s a weak voice in my opinion... A good artist (no doubts), but with many limitations...

Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:57 pm

familyjules wrote:
Renan wrote:He was John Lennon! He was The King Of England!

Actually, he called it "Britain."

So he would be The King of Britain.

Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:50 pm

Graceland Gardener wrote:... when a rockstar wants to become an iconic leader for drugged-up misguided fans and his own wanna-be's.

Must you post your intellectually misguided, completely fallow comments on this day?

Of course you do.

Your tradition of negative John Lennon comments, along with your racist and homophobic diatribes, turns my stomach.

I'm sure most will agree: you are a cancer on this MB.

DJC

Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:18 am

drjohncrapenter wrote:[I'm sure most will agree: you are a cancer on this MB.

DJC

WRONG AGAIN DOC.
I'm a Taurus.

Chapman was a warped Lennon Wanna-Be.
He wore glasses like him and even married a Japanese woman to be LIKE HIS HERO JOHN.
A Cloned FOLLOWER OF HIS EXALTED LEADER.
Do your homework on the story - view the PBS documentary, prick.

by the way, Mr. Liberal Racial Sensitivity -

It was John Lennon who wrote, recorded, and released a song called:

"Woman Is The deleted - see guidelines #2 Of The World"

http://www.john-lennon.com/songlyrics/s ... _World.htm

Read and Learn!