Off Topic Messages

MOJO Jan '06 => Bruce and Chuck!

Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:34 am

With all the Chuck D and Bruce topics on the MB recently, the upcoming MOJO offers relevant articles for your enjoyment:

BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN
So what do you want to know? At the end of a remarkable 2005, in an exclusive interview of unprecedented access, the man they call The Boss opens up to MOJO on all the big issues: life, death, religion, America and exactly who the hell Bruce Springsteen thinks he is. Interview by Phil Sutcliffe.

CHUCK D
He's the powerhouse political proselytizer behind the greatest rap group of all time. After 20 years at the front line of hip hop craziness, Mistah Chuck talks turkey (and drugs and politics and Zionism) with Angus Batey.

Should be good!

DJC

Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:41 am

That's great news. Mojo is a class magazine.

I'm more looking forward to February though when they do a piece on Dion a major figure who very seldom gets written about.

Re: MOJO Jan '06 => Bruce and Chuck!

Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:47 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:With all the Chuck D and Bruce topics on the MB recently, the upcoming MOJO offers relevant articles for your enjoyment:

BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN
So what do you want to know? At the end of a remarkable 2005, in an exclusive interview of unprecedented access, the man they call The Boss opens up to MOJO on all the big issues: life, death, religion, America and exactly who the hell Bruce Springsteen thinks he is. Interview by Phil Sutcliffe.

Should be good!

DJC

Excellent Doc and Thank You for letting me know... :D

It definetely wuz a great year for us Springsteen fanz :!:

Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:32 pm

likethebike wrote:I'm more looking forward to February though when they do a piece on Dion a major figure ...

I'm unsure if Dion was a major figure in rock, but he certainly cut a number of great records through the years, in a variety of genres. My personal favorite is the dramatic, yet thrilling "I Was Born To Cry."

DJC

Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:10 pm

Within the field of white doo wop and group harmony he was a major figure. Dion and the Belmonts were essentially the first or at least the first to achieve any kind of major success. They were also the first white act (Buddy Holly Story be damned) to play the Apollo. All the white Italian rockers and there was a movement in that regard in the late '50s and early '60s including- the Four Seasons, the Rascals, the Passions, the Mystics all took their cues from Dion and the Belmonts. Beach Boy Dennis Wilson took a lot of his singing style, attitude and stage presence from Dion. Dion may have been the primary rock and roll influence on Lou Reed (he took a lot of inspiration from outside the music field including poetry and avant garde art). Also, Paul Simon, Dylan, Springsteen, and Billy Joel have also listed Dion as at least one influence. More importantly Dion was the first great white rocker who did not emerge from the American South providing an example for almost everyone from the Beach Boys to the Beatles.

There is some evidence that suggests that Dion may have influenced Dylan's decision to go electric in the mid-60s. The two were labelmates at Columbia Records and Dion in records like "Kicking Child" was formulating an electric folk/blues influenced sound that was very similar to what Dylan was doing around the same time. Now, Dylan was always a closet rocker hugely galvanized by the then recent massive rock success of the Beatles. So, the evidence is hardly definitive. However, they were labelmates, Dylan was a fan and the sound is similar. It's possible. Even if Dylan just liked what he heard and recognized a kindred spirit, that's an important spur.

I also feel that he Dion created a very deep and diverse body of work. In addition to his early classics on his own and with the Belmonts, he broke important ground for group harmony and self-conscious attitude but later on he did good work with Phil Spector (albeit on a love it or hate it album) and in the folk vein. Later on he was the only '50s rocker to make a record that approximated the sounds that were coming out of Seattle in the early 1990s.

Even with all this, when I say major I don't mean at the super elite level of Elvis, Berry, Dylan, Prince. However, I do feel he sits comfortably at the next level down. Time/Life had him as one of the 100 greatest rockers of all-time and that's major enough for me.

Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:45 am

And Runaround Sue still sounds as cool today as the day it was written :)