Off Topic Messages

Rick Nelson & Fats Domino fans

Tue Jun 24, 2003 6:16 am

I read somewhere that in July there is suppose to be a DVD of Rick Nelson and Fats Domino live at Universal Studios..
Just thought I'd share that info with any of the Ricky fans out there such as myself..

Tue Jun 24, 2003 9:18 am

thanks for the info. :D

8)

Tue Jun 24, 2003 11:45 pm

There was a VHS out, if I remember correctly, of the two in concert. I have not seen it in UK on DVD.

I will keep a look out, I am a big fan of both artists.

Bear Family in Germany put out a fantastic 6 CD box set of "Ricky Nelson" a bit back, it's superb. Well worth getting hold of....
They also put one out on "Fats Domino", which is also excellent, but I ain't got hold of that one yet.

KEEP ON ROCKIN'

Wed Jun 25, 2003 7:24 pm

Fats is a legend.
I happened to be in the audience the infamous night Rick Nelson played Madison Square Garden which inspired his nostalgia hit "Garden Party"

CK

Wed Jun 25, 2003 7:40 pm

Clark,

What was the atmosphere like there, according to plan and the words of the song "Garden Party" he didn't go down too good.

Is it the only time you saw him live and have you ever seen "The Fat Man" live, or what about "Elvis". Did you ever see him live, I know a guy who saw Elvis, 66 times in concert.

Wed Jun 25, 2003 8:04 pm

Joe,

Nelson was wearing denim, long haired so to speak, and was playing folk/country material he worked up with the Stone Canyon Band. Well, the crowd and promoters of this charity event expected 1950s music being performed and Rick didn't do much of his 50s stuff - he did a controversial cover of the Stones' recent hit "Honky Tonk Women" The crowd for the most part booed because they wanted the Nifty Fifties.

It was the dawn of the Great 50s Nostalgia Phenomena that spawned interest in and success of "Happy Days" and "Grease"...it can all be traced back to October 1971 when Rick went to a garden party to reminisce with my old friends....

(BTW, if you get a chance, see Rick's "Hello Mary Lou" as performed on Saturday Night Live in Feb. 1979. It is an excellent live rendition)

re: Elvis...3 concerts.
1) MSG 72 Sunday matinee with a presspass provided by WABC
2) Nassau Cty Coliseum, June 22, 1973 (Elvis lived in Uniondale, NY for 3 days in '73)
3) Nassau Cty Coliseum, July ?, 1975 (can't find that stub)

I know a guy who saw Elvis, 66 times in concert.

Sixty-six times is most impressive. That is dedication to being in presence of The King as often as possible. :D

CK

Wed Jun 25, 2003 9:15 pm

Now you are making me jealous, Clark.

Jesus... I wish I could have seen him live, it must have been something else.

Wed Jun 25, 2003 9:41 pm

I am at the moment just watching a concert on video recorded at the Nassau Coliseum featuring The Highwaymen - Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, Kris Kristofferson and Johnny Cash, filmed in March 1990.
I don't suppose you saw them, did you Clark.

Thu Jun 26, 2003 1:58 am

The story I heard about Ricks MSG Concert was that there was a fight in the crowd and that's what the rest of the crowd were booing and Rick thought they were booing him when they weren't.
But that's just the version I read. Who Knows???

8)