Off Topic Messages

Add your own Party Killer

Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:16 am

An ode to a true classic. Ahhh Rhino how we love thee....

Rhino Presents: 70s Party Killers

You're at home and your rager party is spiraling out of control before your very eyes. It's 3 a.m. and a strange cast of characters occupies your living room. You think to yourself, "Who are these people and how did they end up breakdancing on my coffee table?" It's way past your bedtime, and you gotta break this sucker up FAST. You grab that new Rhino CD off your shelf, and voila -- problem solved. '70s Party Killers, our new collection of the all-time "classic" pop singles that inexplicably were huge Top 5 hits. Eight of them got to #1! These cheesy standards by the Superstars of Schlock are guaranteed to clear the room in a hurry.

: Tie A Yellow Ribbon Round The Ole Oak Tree - Tony Orlando & Dawn
: The Night Chicago Died - Paper Lace
: Billy, Don't Be A Hero - Bo Donaldson & The Heywoods
: (You're) Having My Baby - Paul Anka with Odia Coates
: Playground In My Mind - Clint Holmes
: Feelings - Morris Albert
: Sometimes When We Touch - Dan Hill
: The Candy Man - Sammy Davis, Jr.
: Afternoon Delight - Starland Vocal Band
: Torn Between Two Lovers - Mary MacGregor
: Escape (The Pina Colada Song) - Rupert Holmes
: Muskrat Love - Captain & Tennille

Eileen's addition:
Seasons In The Sun - Terry Jacks

Eileen hereby disavows the aged home cassette containing her 17 badly warbled renditions of the above-mentioned song

Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:03 pm

"Don't Give Up On Us" David Soul
"I've Never Been To Me" Charlene

Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:26 am

Brand New Key - Melanie

I hate that damned song!!!!!

Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:16 am

Eileen.........this is the funniest thing I've seen all day :lol:

Let's see........

Honey/Bobby Goldsboro
Copacabana/Barry Manilow
Muskrat Love/Captain and Tenille

Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:55 am

(not decade specific)

wang chung
achey breaky heart
mambo #5
the last batch of gwen stephani tracks

i'd put the macarena here, except for the fact i kinda almost marginally like it. then again i like barry manilow's mandy.

you know what the ultimate party killers are?

mariachi or polka. really. fruity jazz probably as well. i have nothing against the mexican hat dance or the chicken dance polka, but i doubt they are popular with a party. ok...scratch that, kids like doing the chicken dance.

and if you want to run me out of the party, put the beatles, some kind of hippie folk, hip-hop/rap, jazz, or heavy metal. those are my mood killers.

Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:30 am

Are Rhino actually expecting to sell this album!

Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:30 am

KiwiAlan wrote:Are Rhino actually expecting to sell this album!

They've been selling it since 1998. Even Amazon lists it as still in print so it's selling enough. Apparently more than the Elvis cds that BMG keeps deleting :?

I've been inspired by the great additions here to remember, painfully:

Eileen's addition #2
Lovin You - Minnie Riperton

Did you know she also recorded "Light My Fire"? :shock:

Eileen

Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:06 am

'Old Shep' - Elvis Presley

Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:23 pm

How Deep Is Your Love ? Bee Gees.

Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:29 pm

JLGB wrote:How Deep Is Your Love ? Bee Gees.

But classic lyrics, now how does it go?

"You eat your rice in the morning sun...and you come to me on a submarine, keep warm in your love and you softly leave, etc."

Geoff :P

Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:03 am

"Cat's In The Cradle"/Harry Chapin

Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:02 am

Mine may be relatively obscure, but they're undoubtedly two of the worst pop songs of the '70s.

The Last Game of the Season (A Blind Man In the Bleachers) by David Geddes will make even sentimental idiots retch on its maudlin sap.

Telephone Man by Meri Wilson is so freaking dumb it's hard to tell whether it's trying to be a novelty song or whether it's just one of the worst pop tunes ever written. Actually, come to think of it, it's pretty tuneless, so it may be THE worst.

As it happens, both of these songs are available on other Rhino compilations if you're bound and determined to suffer.
Last edited by elvissessions on Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:20 am

Scatter wrote:"Cat's In The Cradle"/Harry Chapin

As Charlene Darling always says......

Don't play that'un. That'un makes me cry.

Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:14 am

elvissessions.com wrote:Mine may be relatively obscure, but they're undoubtedly two of the worst pop songs of the '70s.

The Last Game of the Season (A Blind Man In the Bleachers) by David Geddes will make even sentimental idiots retch.

Telephone Man by Meri Wilson is so freaking dumb it's hard to tell whether it's deliberately trying to be a novelty song or whether it's just one of the worst pop tunes ever written. Actually, come to think of it, it's pretty tuneless, so it may be THE worst.

As it happens, both of these songs are available on other Rhino compilations if you're bound and determined to suffer.

"Hey baby I'm the telephone man
You just show me where you want it and I'll put it where I can"

ES........how can you disparage the vivid imagery and subtle double-entendre of this classic??? :lol:

Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:11 pm

"How Deep Is Your Love"? No no no! :smt018 That WAS played at many parties and consistently drew the couples and wannabe's to slow dance. Definitely NOT a party killer, I so testify.

elvissessions.com wrote:The Last Game of the Season (A Blind Man In the Bleachers) by David Geddes.....Telephone Man by Meri Wilson.....

Perhaps Rhino needs an entirely new series for such items: "Recordings containing some words and also some instrument sounds".

Scatter wrote:"Hey baby I'm the telephone man
You just show me where you want it and I'll put it where I can"

ES........how can you disparage the vivid imagery and subtle double-entendre of this classic??? :lol:

I think the disparagement began with "do lolly, lolly, shicky do, shicky do".....

Eileen

Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:30 am

Point taken Eileen :lol: