Off Topic Messages

Shadows Drummer Dies

Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:45 pm

Tony Meehan, 62, a founder member and drummer with the group The Shadows has died from head injuries sustained in a fall.

Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:06 pm

Along with Jet Harris together they had their own instrumental hits after the Shadows, but although the tunes spring to mind the nameof them doesn't.

As with many artists it is a sad loss and another line being drawn across time.

Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:26 pm

Song of Mexico....but for the life of me I cant bring it to mind.... :oops: :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:11 pm

OK - here goes...........

Besame Mucho - No.22 in 1962.

Main Title Theme [from The Man With The Golden Arm] - No.12 in 1962.

Diamonds - No.1 in 1963.

Scarlett O'Harra - No.2 in 1963

Applejack - No.4 in 1963.

Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:25 pm

Those early 60`s Shadows recordings were superb, and Tony Meehan was a big part of that sound. Tony and Jet made a few decent recordings after they left The Shadows, but they never sounded as good again.

Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:32 pm

Diamonds! Thanks Colin, that was the one.

Am i right in thinking that also assisted in a chart querk ? Something about the only time and instrumental replaced an instrumental at number one via the Shadows. Don't know who replaced who.

Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:05 pm

Steve -

What happened was that Sir Precipice Dick was replaced at No.1 by an instrumental by his own backing group, who were in turn replaced at No.1 by an instrumental by a break-away duo of ex-members !

Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:07 pm

That's it Colin, i remember.

I also think the Sir PrecDick / Shadows thing was something I used as the answer to one of your original and best quizzes. Wrong though my answer was and always is.