Off Topic Messages

Walk The Line

Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:49 pm

I just saw "Walk The Line," the Johnny Cash bio, and wondered what opinions are out there regarding this film. I thought it was well-done (as opposed to rare), and I thoroughly enjoyed the story.

I am not sure how much creative license the filmmakers took on the story, although I read where one of Cash's daughters said the "dyed in the wool fans would object" to it. The daughter, Cathy Cash, reportedly walked out of a family screening five times due to things she objected to, particularly the portrayal of her mother, Vivian, who was Cash's first wife.

I thought Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon did a fantastic job in the lead roles of Johnny and June Carter, and they even did a passing job on the vocal work, which they did entirely themselves.

The role of Elvis went to Tyler Hilton, I think. He wasn't shown much. The first time you see him is in Sun Studio with the band. The second time, he is backstage (in a balcony) at a show around 1956, sitting alone watching "June" perform when "Cash" walks up. Elvis says, "Hey, Cash, nice show tonight," or words to that effect. He then asks Cash, "You want some chili fries?" That illicited a chuckle from the crowd, and I rolled my eyes. I thought, "Wonderful, an Elvis eating-reference." They may as well have had him in a jumpsuit and asked Johnny if he wanted a jelly doughnut. They also, if I remember correctly, showed Elvis dropping a handful of pills outside a venue in 1956 along with Cash, Jerry Lee and a bunch of other band members and tour personnel. So, they were not as forgiving to the Elvis legend as they might have been.

They did show "Elvis" on stage in his "Teddy Bear"-type outfit singing "That's Alright, Mama," which was done pretty well; in fact, they used much of the song. They did not shoot on location at Sun Studio, and I was surprised by that. Perhaps logistics got in the way during the filming schedule or something, I don't know. But using the actual studio would have been nice. As it was, Sun was not a huge part of the movie, so the setup they used worked OK.

Overall, I thought it was a good film, and one worth seeing. It could just as easily been titled "Ring of Fire," as the content focuses heavily on Cash's alcohol and pill dependency in the 60's. In fact, the movie starts and ends with his performance in 1968 at Folsom Prison.

Afterward, it got me to the computer to look up some info on Johnny Cash, so in that respect the filmmakers did their job.

Sun Nov 27, 2005 5:55 pm

I saw the film yesterday and liked it, but the Elvis bits rubbed me the wrong way. I heard chuckles both for the chili fries comment and when Cash is offered pills and told "Elvis takes them".

I always thought Elvis' pill-popping started in the Army, is this not true?

Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:49 pm

I agree, scotch. It seems they played off of a few stereotypes, and made them retroactive...

Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:26 pm

A movie about a man leaving his wife for another woman! IMMORALITY IS RUNNING RAMPANT!!! 8)

JEFF d
Elvis fan

Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:43 pm

yeah i heard about the pill thing and i decided then i wasn't going to see the film.

1956?! he didn't even allow people to drink beer around him in the 50s, much less pills. the pills didn't start until the army, where they were for keeping him up, and he certainly wasn't the only one taking them in the army.

i'm ashamed that they would attempt to show elvis without doing ANY homework. you'd think tyler, being a proclaimed elvis fan, would have read a book to ready himself for the role. because if he had, he would have known to contact the script writers about their massive errors. hell, had the script writers had brains, they would have read a book on every person they were trying to portray.

i think last train to memphis would have helped them out with memphis, sun studios, sam phillips, elvis...all of that.

Re: Walk The Line

Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:39 am

KHoots wrote:I just saw "Walk The Line," the Johnny Cash bio, and wondered what opinions are out there regarding this film.

I've not made up my mind on whether or not to see it. I've heard it said that it is a must see for all Cash fans. I am definitely a Cash fan and that is the very reason that I've not seen it yet.

If I do go see it and hear people snickering about the Elvis comments, you may read about me or see me on CNN News.

Man Shoves Popcorn Box Up The Ass Of Laughing Theater Patron. Film At Eleven.

Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:37 am

Go get 'em, Rob. Just like the "Startin' Tonight" line,

"Don't you worry if you land in jail, we'll forward your mail if you can't make bail."

:lol:

Walk the Line

Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:32 pm

... This surely means oil on the fire... and thats not my intention, this time. Popping pills and sipping cough syrup [ it gives a modest high] were an every day thing with both black and white [ C&W] performers while on the road, back in the 40s and 50s. Elvis wasnt an exeption. Photos of him,backstage in Florida, in the summer of 55, show him sipping cough syrup from a small bottle. So popping "Bennies" now and then wasnt new to Elvis when entering the army in 58... Whats the big deal?...How many of you never smoked a joint in your life, raise your hands... ! George W had his fair share as a youngster, didnt he? Not to mention his heavy drinking problems... Sorry, couldnt resist poking fun at your wonderful President...

Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:47 pm

Most of the singers who did the sun tours etc were on,eh,some stuff to keep them awake etc.

Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:35 pm

*raises hand* lol

That is a good point though, Ger. Would be interesting to hear some accounts to back that up so it sticks, though.

Btw, I picked up "The Hottest Thing That's Cool" in Memphis last week, awesome book, man, just wanted to tell you. :)

Re: Walk the Line

Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:24 pm

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:...! George W had his fair share as a youngster, didnt he? Not to mention his heavy drinking problems... Sorry, couldnt resist poking fun at your wonderful President...

Why must you turn an interesting thread in to ANOTHER bash President Bush thread? It's obvious you are either obsessed or envious of the man, eh? I mean I have some issues with the guy too, but constantly making personal attacks on someone never improves anything!

Since this is a thread related to Johnny Cash, I ad a little of Johnny's touch to this one, "life ain't easy for a boy named Ger" :shock:

Walk the Line

Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:22 pm

... AAAHH, Big Boss Man, This was only the first time. If it helps, you and all others can take a poke at our queen Beatrix. But outside the Dutch nobody knows her... ! By the way, a fellow Countryman of yours suggested, we Europeans dislike Americans in general. Bull!! Most of us think highly of you, yanks. Rock n Roll, Comicbooks, homemade cheeseburgers, Steven Spielburg, Fred Astaire, and lots and lots of other Great things that brought a zillion thrills to our lives in the last 75 years! Thank you, America.

Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:25 pm

Think nothing of it.

Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:32 pm

KHoots wrote:The daughter, Cathy Cash, reportedly walked out of a family screening five times due to things she objected to, particularly the portrayal of her mother, Vivian, who was Cash's first wife.

Rumor has it that her constant walking out was also a publicity stunt, though I'm not sure for who. I mean who walks out of a movie 5 times??

Tom

Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:01 pm

Tom in North Carolina wrote:
KHoots wrote:The daughter, Cathy Cash, reportedly walked out of a family screening five times due to things she objected to, particularly the portrayal of her mother, Vivian, who was Cash's first wife.

Rumor has it that her constant walking out was also a publicity stunt, though I'm not sure for who. I mean who walks out of a movie 5 times??

Tom

Someone with a bladder problem :D

Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:20 pm

Tom in North Carolina wrote:I mean who walks out of a movie 5 times??
Tom

Someone who eats 5 servings of stale popcorn with double butter. :lol:
Last edited by Big Boss Man on Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:28 pm

scotch wrote:I saw the film yesterday and liked it, but the Elvis bits rubbed me the wrong way. I heard chuckles both for the chili fries comment and when Cash is offered pills and told "Elvis takes them".

I always thought Elvis' pill-popping started in the Army, is this not true?

In that Alanah Nash book, Billy Smith and Marty lacker make claims that Elvis was pill-popping during the Sun era; Billy says they were Gladys' diet pills; no-doz, caffeine, whatever.

"pill" wasn't a dirty uh-oh word until a decade or two later, so in the 1950s maybe usage of them was simply unnoticed. No red flags about them.
Just science and medicine over the counter.

Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:41 pm

Popping Pills & gettin high on cough syryp!!! IMMORALITY IS RUNNING RAMPANT TODAY!!!! 8)

JEFF d
Elvis fan

Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:59 am

What's amazing is once again, we have a film about a famous entertainer where the film shows only the "early-mid" portion of his career and totally ignores the later part (sound familiar?) It seams the powers that be think that both Elvis and Johnny Cash's careers only lasted until 1968!

I mean just like Elvis, Johnny Cash had some fine moments during the later part of his career, plus some interesting issues such as his tv show, the many tv appearances on other shows, his being released from Colombia records and his battle with the Nashville establishment, and his late 90's comeback, including his grammy award winning albums and videos.

Like Elvis, I hope Johnny's latter years make it's way to film someday, but it probably won't.

Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:13 am

We need to notify Mtv that Elvis was getting krunk on tussin back in the 50's, they will play his videos all of the time if they know.

Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:44 am

They did the same with the film "Ray". As soon as Ray Charles started getting straight...the film was over. There was no more dirt so the film ended. That's waht hollywood does is dish out the dirt. They don't think anyone would be interested in a good, clean person. I was very disappointed in "Ray". Although it was well filmed and well acted, to end when it did was not a good idea in my opinion.

jeff R

Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:21 am

Walk The Line was good imo. I enjoyed the singing too.

It's a real-life love story and ended when it should.
The long-awaited proposal on stage and finally saying yes.

That's not just Hollywood - that was Johnny & June's reality portrayed.

Sad this is, Elvis' life story has no true love pairing. He moves Prisiclla into Graceland and yawn, he messes around with Ann-Margert and then it's pathetic the way Priscilla leaves and then what, cut-to the next girlfriend; enter Linda.

(they already did a film about Linda & Elvis)

Elvis needed a June Carter, a woman of destiny and wedded wife to the very end, and he sadly never had one.

I for one don't intend to sit thru yet another Elvis biopic dealing with that Cilla/Ann-Marget soap opera crap.

Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:33 am

KHoots wrote: They did not shoot on location at Sun Studio, and I was surprised by that. Perhaps logistics got in the way during the filming schedule or something, I don't know. But using the actual studio would have been nice. As it was, Sun was not a huge part of the movie, so the setup they used worked OK.

When i was in Sun Studio in Oct 2004, the tour guide said that they had filmed scenes for the movie there only a few weeks before, i wonder if they were cut in the editing room or was he just bull sh#ting us.

Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:15 pm

Promocollector wrote:When i was in Sun Studio in Oct 2004, the tour guide said that they had filmed scenes for the movie there only a few weeks before, i wonder if they were cut in the editing room or was he just bull sh#ting us.

Hmmm. That's interesting, Promocollector. I have no idea why the tour guide would say that if it wasn't true, but no question, that was not Sun Studio in the movie.