Off Topic Messages

mini disc

Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:13 am

i was just wondering if theres anyone on this messageboard that does any mini disc recording? ive got an old home mini disc unit and a portable mini disc player. anyway ive had the home unit for about 12 years and i havent used it in a few years well i went ot put a mini disc in it and it keeps saying disc error, anyway if anyone knows if a mini disc lens cleaner would fix this problem please let me know thanks!

Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:17 am

well how is the quality of amini disc recorder? is it much better than a tape?

Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:22 am

to me its as good a cd but the format never really took off at least not here in the states it really is a small cd in a plastic case so you never ever touch the disc . i bought it back in 94 thinking it would be the next big thing lol i guess i was wrong. but if the lens cleaner doesnt fix it then to the trash itill go!

Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:37 am

I use a minidisc recorder sometimes for shows (rare anymore that I do that) and I record my studio outtakes with them.

The quality is a considerable drop from CD, but still very good.

No idea about the cleaner, though, I've never had reading trouble... sorry I can't help...

Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:54 pm

Mini disc players are becoming dinosaurs, Scott. We use them at our radio stations here, and I have experienced the "disc error" to which you refer many times. Frustrating as hell, because the whole disc gets wiped clean. Fortunately, it has never been a case of being a bad player, but a bad disc(s). Have you tried using other mini discs?

Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:20 pm

yes i have tried all my discs they all say disc error but they play just fine in my portable like i said ive had it since 1994. actually ive had both my portable and my home unit (home unit sony portable is a sharp brand)
since 94

Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:35 am

It never took off over here as well...i suppose it would be like looking for a head cleaner for a BETAMAX video player,very hard to find.