The greatest British footballer ever!

R.I.P.

http://uk.sports.yahoo.com/051125/2/f56x.html

Fri Nov 25, 2005 5:06 pm

Yeah, this is sad news but I suppose we all saw it coming. :cry:

Sincerely MB280E

Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:58 pm

R.I.P. George Best.

George got the first 15 minutes of our main TV3 news. A sad story.

Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:49 am

George Best was the greatest footballer there's ever been. Remember him in his prime - not for what he became.

Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:40 am

Best was a genius, Pele was the greatest footballer that's ever been!

Sat Nov 26, 2005 2:13 am

George Best - even I'd heard of him.

R.I.P.

Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:07 pm

George Best was undoubtedly the greatest football player of his generation. He was also a man of good humour and great wit. My favourite Best quote was "I spent alot of money on booze, women and fast cars. The rest of it I just squandered." Never did a quote sum up a man's lifestyle and attitude to it as this. Those of us who regularly watch Sky Sports' Saturday afternoon football coverage, on which he was a regular pundit, will miss his personality terribly. A sad loss.

Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:40 pm

Rest in peace big man...you were the "BEST".

Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:21 pm

George Best..R.I.P.

Here in Germany we appreciate this great sports man very much.
We name him in one row with Franz Beckenbauer..

simply the best

Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:45 pm

Liverbobs Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:40 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Best was a genius, Pele was the greatest footballer that's ever been!

Liverbobs why does this comment not surprise me, your fans today couldn't even show him the respect he so greatly deserves, if he wore the red of Liverpool instead of United you would not make that statement

Pele himself said that George was the best, end of

R.I.P. George

Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:58 am

Tits McGhee wrote:Remember him in his prime

I've found that this is the way Best is being remembered by the media and the public, and it's fitting. The clips on TV are fascinating! We won't see his like again that's for sure.

Sun Nov 27, 2005 5:02 am

They did him proud today...fron John o groats to lands end...they mind on the footballer.

Going to be a big do in Belfast...thats for sure.

Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:39 pm

Its a pity the so-called fans of Manchester City could not show their respect yesterday :shock: :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:22 pm

As a kid, i saw George Best play, had his posters on my bedroom wall, and wore his signature football boots, as he was my fave player, and still is of all time.

But how can so many of us describe either Best or Pele as the best layer ever, even though most of us here never saw either player enough in the flesh to call that judgement ?

Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:07 pm

"Those requiring evidence of his incomparable technique need hear only one story from The Cliff, United's old training ground. Best so dominated the ball during practice matches that even gilded colleagues were turned into mere onlookers. Coach Matt Busby reacted by restricting players to two-touch or three-touch. No problem for Best, who simply controlled the ball, flicked it off an opponent's shin and carried merrily on his irresistible way towards goal."

The school I attended in Salford, St Thomas of Canterbury (Gone now)used The Cliff as it's sports ground. I played soccer there, and ran the 440 yards on Sports Day 1954 for St Bonifaces, another school I attended in Salford. (The real Cliff was a little further north of United's training ground)

Small world.

Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:20 pm

Ezzz wrote:As a kid, i saw George Best play, had his posters on my bedroom wall, and wore his signature football boots, as he was my fave player, and still is of all time.

But how can so many of us describe either Best or Pele as the best layer ever, even though most of us here never saw either player enough in the flesh to call that judgement ?

I never saw Elvis in the flesh, and for me he's the best singer of all time. Like Maradona is the best of football.

Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:26 pm

By the way Maurice, it`s football, not "soccer"...... :D

Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:21 pm

That's a yellow card for me then :oops: ?

Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:48 pm

Ezzz wrote:As a kid, i saw George Best play

In that case Errol, you're a lucky bloke! :D

I've found the weekend quite emotional. There's certainly never been such an outpouring of grief for a sportsman in the UK before. Being such a shy man I would have thought Best himself would have found it quite humbling. The tribute at West Ham today was particularly touching. Old Trafford on Wednesday will be incredible.

Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:26 pm

Another good Best anecdote from Harry Redknapp this afternoon...

When Best was playing for Bournemouth at the end of his career he asked Harry Redknapp if Salisbury racecourse was near Bournemouth. Harry says yes so Best asks if Harry could pick him and his current girlfriend Mary (Mary Stavin - MISS WORLD!) up and drop her off at the train station. Harry does and when they've dropped Mary off Best says " Thank God for that! She was getting on my nerves! We went to the cinema last night and she wouldn't leave me alone, kept kissing me and running her hand up my leg". Harry says "That's Miss World! 5 million blokes in Britain would give their right arm to be in your position". Best says "But I wanted to watch the film"!

Class! 8)

Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:34 pm

Ezzz wrote:But how can so many of us describe either Best or Pele as the best layer ever, even though most of us here never saw either player enough in the flesh to call that judgement ?

Pele may have difficulty in that area, judging by his last advertising deal..."I know I would" :wink:

Geoff

RIP Mr Best - One of my childhood heroes.

Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:10 pm

Well I don't wish he rests in peace.

Regardless of his soccer skills.

Here is a guy who wrecked his liver with booze.

Was fortunate and famous enough to be given a liver transplant.

So within a few years he wrecks the new liver with booze again.

I would feel sorry for someone who could have had that new liver, respected it and lived many productive years.

The momemt he stopped playing - there was nothing to admire about his life.

He could have given so much to the game after retirement instead of pissiin his life away!

Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:12 pm

Only saw him play the once Delboy, Derby v Man U early 70`s, watched the whole match from my dad`s shoulders. He looked really pissed off the whole match, and hardly broke into his stride at all, but he still managed to score. Derby won though, we were good in those days.

One of the things i liked about Bestie was he never felt sorry for himself, despite his many problems.

Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:35 pm

kiwi alan

you are a very sad man, as an elvis fan i would of thought that you would have a little more comapassion to the problems that superstardom brings, cause make no mistake George was as big in football as Elvis was in music , in fact one of the many anecdotes i read this weekend was that "George was described as the 5th Beatle, but in reality he was more Elvis than the Beatles" i thought that was very apt.

finally for you Kiwi listen to "walk a Mile in my shoes" and then re assess your comments.

Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:39 pm

KiwiAlan wrote:Well I don't wish he rests in peace.

Regardless of his soccer skills.

Here is a guy who wrecked his liver with booze.

Was fortunate and famous enough to be given a liver transplant.

So within a few years he wrecks the new liver with booze again.

I would feel sorry for someone who could have had that new liver, respected it and lived many productive years.

The momemt he stopped playing - there was nothing to admire about his life.

He could have given so much to the game after retirement instead of pissiin his life away!

Kiwi, You are such a compassionate guy.

Poor George Best was hit by the booze bug early in his life. Friends of our children died from heroin much earlier in life than George.

They really should have known better. They were really nice children. I remember them well. Their mother now looks after THEIR children. Her husband is a boozer too. Poor woman...if only she had met you, she could have been really miserable.