Off Topic Messages

Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:24 pm

jeffreyjames wrote:I am not a religious zealot, bigot or expert. I'm just speaking my mind and what I've learned from God's word not from what today's society says. The Lord's word is everlasting. I believe that.

jeff R

Does your God say anything about tolerance? Or not judging less ye be judged?

Jules

Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:31 pm

Our God does say many things about tolerance. I'm trying to live by His words. We can be tolerant with other people but we don't have to agree with their choices as you don't have to agree with mine.
Right is right and wrong is wrong. We do have choices but we should do what is right. We are all guilty of making bad choices in life. But we are all forgiven if we believe that Jesus Christ, God's son died for our sins. Seems like a simple choice to me.

jeff R

Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:35 pm

jeffreyjames wrote:Right is right and wrong is wrong.

Yeah, but who gets to decide what is right and what is wrong?

We do have choices but we should do what is right.

I agree, but again I ask you, who gets to decide? Because I don't want judgemental Christian zealots deciding on my behalf.

But we are all forgiven if we believe that Jesus Christ, God's son died for our sins. Seems like a simple choice to me.

Seems like blinkered arrogance to me. So I can only be "forgiven" if I worship YOUR God, eh? That's no choice at all!

You were wrong earlier, son - you most definitely ARE a bigot.

:(

Jules

Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:13 pm

Jeff

We're living in a sick society.

I'm really disgusted by the intolerance shown by the likes of you.

Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:16 pm

All I want to know is, are they registered anywhere? I'm sending a gift.

Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:28 pm

I'm just saying what God says about homosexuality. I just happen to agree with it. So, by saying you are disgusted in my intolerance, are you saying that you are disgusted in God's intolerance?

Familyjules - God has decided what is right and wrong, not you or I.

FamilyJules - You were wrong earlier, son - you most definitely ARE a bigot.

"And why, again I ask, am I a bigot?"

jeff R

Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:31 pm

Jeff

No, I have no problem with "God's intolerance".

It does not exist, because "God" does not exist.

Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:42 pm

It's amazing that with all of us Elvis fans and Elvis being the Christian that he was and sang dozens of gospel songs, that there are so many athiests in is fandom!

jeff R

Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:44 pm

Jeff

Yeah, ain't he great!

Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:09 pm

Yes He is!

jeff R

Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:11 pm

:lol:

Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:26 pm

jeffreyjames wrote:It's amazing that with all of us Elvis fans and Elvis being the Christian that he was and sang dozens of gospel songs, that there are so many athiests in is fandom!

jeff R

It is ironic that there are athiest Elvis fans.
To them, his Gospel music is...what?
How do they qualify/dismiss what he's singing about?

Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:36 pm

I've often thought the same thing, GG.

jeff R

Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:43 pm

GG, Just the same as we listen to Beethoven's Mass "Missa Solemnis" It's not the words that matter but the sound.

Tchaikovsky said, "Music begins where words leave off" or something like that.

Do you hear the anti-semitism in Wagners music?

Curious people of the world know far more now.

BBC1 TV Programmes like Richard Attenbouroughs new series tracing the EVOLUTION of Insects is educating youngsters everywhere:-)

Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:27 pm

Whoa there folks, time out!
Jeff -
While the civil laws of western culture are derived ultimately from the bible, we cannot and should not have government in our bedrooms, nor is it the proper role of government to enforce biblical morality! We live in a democracy - not a theocracy. I'm an opponent of gay marriage not on biblical grounds but rather on the grounds that there is no constitutional 'right' to marriage. Marriage is a time-honored tradition that has been, for the most part, defined as between a man and woman. In a democracy it's the right of the people to define what constitutes a marriage.
As for the bible and homosexuality, one school of thought is that the passages that condemn same-sex relations may be referring to pagan cultic worship practices and/or pagan temple prostitution. Personally, I'm not sold that the bible's condemnation of homosexual practices is only referring to this form, but I mention it as 1 possible interpretation (and I'm open-minded to the possibility that this could be the case).
TJ -
Your use of the bible's bit about putting to death homosexuals is a disingenous straw man. There are other sexual 'crimes' listed in those passages (adultary, incest, bestiality) for which the punishmnet is death, yet while we don't put to death those who engage in these things, neither do we approve of them as a society.
What's more, there is a passage in another section (I can't remember where) that states not to 'ransom' the life of a murderer. Many biblical scholars (both liberal and conservative) take this to imply that the other death penalty crimes could be 'ransomed.'

Re: Elton John to be married

Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:53 pm

:?
Last edited by elvissessions on Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:01 am

I have my problems as do you and everyone else. Because I believe in the Bible and God's word does not make me any better or any worse than you.

jeffreyjames wrote:
Immorality is rampant!!

Anyone who doesn't believe or realise the statement above that I made earlier is true, are totally blind to what is going on in the world. The USA is fast becoming the most immoral country of all along with Great Britain. Is it any wonder why most countries hate us?

jeff R

Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:07 am

Last edited by elvissessions on Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:34 am

And what does this have to do with Elton John getting married to another man?

And when have I been trying to get into everyone's personal lives?

If you are going to quote things from the Old Testament don't bother. When Jesus Christ was raised from the dead, we no longer had to follow many of the laws and customs of the Old Testament.

Instead of quoting from the Bible, maybe you should read it from beginning to end. It's a great read and you will learn everything there is about living a Godly and good life. You will also understand where I'm coming from.

jeff R

Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:46 am

Last edited by elvissessions on Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:54 am

jeffreyjames wrote:

Anyone who doesn't believe or realise the statement above that I made earlier is true, are totally blind to what is going on in the world. The USA is fast becoming the most immoral country of all along with Great Britain. Is it any wonder why most countries hate us?

jeff R

If they hate your country is not because of that. most likely will be becuase of people like you that put their nose where they shouldn't !

Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:58 am

jeffreyjames wrote:It's amazing that with all of us Elvis fans and Elvis being the Christian that he was and sang dozens of gospel songs, that there are so many athiests in is fandom!

jeff R

And being Elvis a cheater , and sleeping with every girl he could ... It's amazing that you are a fan !! :roll: You only see what you want !

Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:59 am

Will little dumpy Reg the chocolate packer be buying a new rug for the event? And which of the two will wear the bridal outfit? Both of them?

Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:45 am

ColinB wrote:My position on gays is one of 'live & let live'.

It isn't 'wrong' from a moral viewpoint.

But it isn't 'normal' behaviour either !

The 'normal' or 'natural' thing is for a relationship between a man & a woman.

Same sex relationships are not natural in that sense.

Doesn't mean the participants are sinful or evil, or lesser humans.

Just a little different from the rest of us.

And we are all different in one way or another.

Colin -

I tend to pretty much agree with you on this - with one exception, and I'd like to use your post to ask a question of you and everyone else: How do you gauge whether or not something is wrong or immoral? Let me narrow the focus a bit: how do we decide what is sexually immoral or wrong?

Regardless of what religious views - or lack thereof - we might hold, most of us recognize that adultary, incest, child molestation, and bestiality are wrong. And I believe most of us who are parents will try to discourage our teen-age/high school age children from engaging in sexual relations, so at least in that sense we're not in favor of pre-marital sex.

So folks, how do we arrive at the notion that these things are wrong?

Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:55 am

Tits McGhee wrote:Will little dumpy Reg the chocolate packer be buying a new rug for the event? And which of the two will wear the bridal outfit? Both of them?

Nobody knows.