War of the Worlds-2-Disc LE
The Andy Griffith Show-Season 4
Seinfeld-Seasons 5 and 6
Ran-Criterion

Tom

Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:11 pm

Starsky & Hutch - Season 3
Starsky & Hutch - Season 4

First ever complete TV series (1-4) that's part of my collection.
Was watching the episode called "Moonshine" today. Colonel Parker does get mentioned in a throw away line. Anyway looking forward to pick up I Spy - Season 1 in December.

Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:14 pm

Melanie wrote:[b]Anyway looking forward to pick up I Spy - Season 1 in December.

First I've heard of this. May just be a Region 2 thing??

Tom

Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:38 pm

Yes. I just checked. One of the rare occasions where R2 is first.
Doesn't HBO have plans to release R1? Or was that Get Smart?

Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:42 pm

HBO is releasing Get Smart-Season 1 in mid 2006. All the I Spy we currently have is 2 "Best of" DVD's.

Tom

Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:58 pm

The three box sets by Image Entertainment featuring random episodes?

It's called "Tennis, Rackets & Guns" in Germany. How is that for a title? Thank God for original audio tracks and film. When I was checking the release dates, I kept looking for I Spy. Never seen it, only heard good things about it. And saw the remake film on TV called - I Spy! Anyway so I only found out about the upcoming release this week, when it finally dawned on me that it might be a diffrent title.

Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:45 pm

You can buy "I Spy" in individual volumes. I have nearly all of them. It would drive me crazy if they came out with full seasons at this point. The Image packaging is ok. There's some excellent audio comments by Robert Culp on two discs and a hidden scene commentary on a third. Many fans have complained about the quality of the prints used and they range from excellent to only ok. There may be some trouble with the originals I don't know.

It was a great, albeit at times uneven show, with great locations, lots of wit and great acting from Cosby and Culp. You'll never see two actors with such chemistry. It generally tried to be a lot more down to Earth than other spy shows.

Thanks for the info on "Streetcar" Tom. It's good to know it is coming at least sometime.

Thanks also for the Lumet films info. I'm pleased to hear that. He's getting on in years and it's great they didn't dilly dally so long as to miss his participation in a first class DVD release of his films.

Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:55 am

Wanted Dead Or Alive

Starsky & Hutch - Season 4 must also be a region 2 thing,because I've never seen or heard anything about it.

Thu Nov 24, 2005 4:18 pm

Thanks for the info on "I Spy".

The quality of the Starsky & Hutch prints range from excellent to dismal.
For the most part, the transfer is great. There is a bit of shimmering and a few artifacts. Of course, we're talking about nearly 80 hours of material. One episode is even a 16mm source. Probably could not locate a 35mm print. Anyway I have seen older shows that are overall of better quality. But for once I am not complaining, because at least they are uncut episodes.

Regarding Season 4. R2 got released by Sony about a month ago, so it might appear on the R1 schedule sooner or later. Then again Sony seems to be especially bad with leaving its old shows hanging.