Off Topic Messages

Any classic Van Halen ('78-'85) aboard?

Mon Jun 23, 2003 8:05 am

I am a HUGE, HUGE fan of the David Lee Roth version of VH and wuz wondering if anyone here shared this interest with me! i've had the opportunity to catch Diamond Dave twice in the last couple of years and I just got tickets to the Myrtle Beach show at the House of Blues, 9/20/03! can't wait I think he goes down in rock history as one of the great rock frontmen of all time!!! if your a VH fan and have a chance to pick up the Warner Remasters series of the original 6 cd's with Roth, they are awesome! the sonic quality is amazing compared to the old ones.

Mon Jun 23, 2003 7:55 pm

Count me in!!!!!! I saw the "classsic" linu up with Dave in '80 (Fair Warning) and In 1984 on well there "1984' tour! They were blistering bohemian rock and roll, balls to the wall!!! I will never forget it! I saw "Van Hagar" once and it was just not the same, as I have seen Dave a number of times solo as well, I think he was better than "Van Hagar" but put Dave and the guys back together!
I think they have the record now in Rock 'n Roll for the shortest re-union ever!
JEFF d
EPFAN!

Mon Jun 23, 2003 8:16 pm

I can't wait until they are inducted into the R & R Hall Of Fame. Talk about "drama" 8)

It will be very interesting.

Are they qualified to be inducted into the hall next year?

Rich

Mon Jun 23, 2003 8:44 pm

THey will probably get in a big fight,and pull out each others hair (or what they have left of it) :evil:
JEFF d
R&RFAN!

Mon Jun 23, 2003 8:56 pm

Sammy can kick Dave's ass

:twisted:

Mon Jun 23, 2003 9:55 pm

...only if he can catch him, Sammy has got almost as fat as Vince Neil!!! LOL :roll:
JEFF d
VHFAN &
EPFAN!

Mon Jun 23, 2003 10:22 pm

I was at first a "Van Hager" fan - I really didn't know the previous "Roth" era. I saw the new videos with Sammy and really liked all of the albums.

It wasn't until after Sammy left the band that I got into the "Roth" period.

I liked what both singers brought to the table - but I have to say that the early material with David is the sh*t. 8)

Rich

P.S. Ever hear Van Halen with Dave perform "Heartbreak Hotel"? They do a great job! Dave messes up the lyrics but it's still good :wink:

Mon Jun 23, 2003 10:51 pm

Sammy is a good singer, BUT I like him as a solo act better :D
When I saw VH in 1980 the whole concert went outside to see them get in there limos, and all they guys came out dressed very casuall, EXCEPT Diamond Dave he came out and was still all dressed up crazy like during the concert and was all prissy, and he had his own limo! No wonder those guys hate him! LOL I saw him on a club tour he did about 3 years ago and he only played VH songs, it was great!
JEFF d

Tue Jun 24, 2003 12:45 am

It is DAVE DAVE DAVE. That is the only Van Halen I love. When asked how Dave felt about Sammy Hagar being at the Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame induction he said something like this "well when(if?) Paul Newman gets a lifetime achievement award for his film work, there are bound to be some Newman's Salad dressing baloons floating around!"

Tue Jun 24, 2003 9:54 am

gene, that was the funniest **** post i've read from u!!! thanks guys for participating in this thread. I've seen the "Hagar" version of VH 4 times and even saw the "VH mach 3 Cherone" version in Raliegh,NC in'98! i don't know, but it's just sumthin' about Dave, whether it's the ego, the sarcasm, the screamin' of early VH and let's not forget...the TUNES! I caught the "Sam and Dave" tour last year and cannot express enuff how Dave BBBBLLLLEEEEEWWWW Sammy's ass off the stage! not just cuz i'm a fan, but the crowds reaction was INTENSE! it wuz NO BULLSHIT when Dave came out, just like someone said "balls to the wall" hard core ROCK! he came out in a blue platinum spandex outfit and i giggled my ass off, i thought, "that's right Dave, give it to 'em" and they (the crowd) responded. he only did 2 solo songs and the rest was a VH setlist and Sam came out and did 8 or 9 of his VH songs as well... the early VH was sumthin' that was VERY different from the next phase. one ex. was, my mom HATED Van Halen when Roth was in the band, that was '83,'84...one day we were driving to go somewhere and VH came on the radio and low and behold, she knew the words to "When It's Love"! now,I say, not a bad song, but for me, yeh that's right ...this is home...this is MEAN STREETS! I mean, c'mon...you can't beat "...got it bad sooooo bad....I'm HOT for Teach..A"!!!

Tue Jun 24, 2003 3:16 pm

Also, they always talk about how Eddie is such a Guitar Legend (which he is) - but being a drummer myself, Alex is one of the greatest rock drummers EVER! When I saw Alex do his drum solo on the VH Concert Video with Sammy, my jaw dropped. 8) He's just amazing.

Rich