P.S. I Love You
In My Life
Oh! Darling
Martha My Dear
The Long and Winding Road
Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/The End

--- each worth a listen, if you haven't heard them already

Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:48 am

GG, I'm curious as to why you jus didn't post the whole thread title as BEST OF...THE BEATLES :?: :wink:

I can also see your a big fan of the early Beatles...

Great list, by the way...

Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:02 am

minkahed,

I compiled a list simply due to the songs that I find enjoyable to listen to,
good examples of songwriting (or a cover tune in some cases)
I do like the early stuff.
I've been listening to the BBC recordings lately and they were alot of fun. Carl Perkins was announced as being on one of the programs with them.

Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:23 am

Excellent list GG. Throw in We Can Work It Out and Girl, and most of my favourites are covered. Actually, that has the makings of a cool double CD.

Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:25 am

Girl almost made my list too.

It's so breezy.

Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:41 am

For the early compilations do you use mono or stereo. I ask because some Beatles purists even like SGT Pepper better in mono. :? They state the mono mix was more elaborate in sound effects etc.

Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:00 am

JLGB wrote:For the early compilations do you use mono or stereo. I ask because some Beatles purists even like SGT Pepper better in mono. :? They state the mono mix was more elaborate in sound effects etc.

Really :?:

I've never heard that coming from Beatle fans be4...

I thought the whole idea in creating all those sound effects on "SGT PEPPER" were to use the advantage of "stereo" to the fullest in the first place :?:

Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:34 am

I read that more hours and effort was done for the mono mix.

Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:19 am

JLGB wrote:I read that more hours and effort was done for the mono mix.

where did u read this stuff :?:

still, with mono being phased out by '67, why would George Martin work so hard for a "Mono" mix, when "Stereo" was the in thing at that time.

again, The Beatles were totally interested in new sounds and technique to be heard on their new record and take full advantage of Stereo seperation... :roll:

Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:55 am

minkahed wrote:
JLGB wrote:I read that more hours and effort was done for the mono mix.

where did u read this stuff :?:

still, with mono being phased out by '67, why would George Martin work so hard for a "Mono" mix, when "Stereo" was the in thing at that time.

again, The Beatles were totally interested in new sounds and technique to be heard on their new record and take full advantage of Stereo seperation... :roll:
I found this so far...not what I read but close.

by Josh Grossberg
Oct 13, 2004, 11:30 AM PT

It wasn't until 1967's Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band that the Beatles insisted on the same tracks appearing on both sides of the Atlantic.

Slater says that Capitol decision to release the U.S. albums, which the band considered to be bastardized versions of the original British LPs, was to appease baby boomers who wanted to hear, for better or worse, the albums in the same format they grew up with.

Chris Carter, the deejay who hosts the popular Breakfast with the Beatles radio show on Los Angeles' 97.1 KLSX-FM, said the Capitol cuts will certainly satisfy collectors who did not yet have the stereo versions from their youth. But for purists, mono has always been where it's at.

"Obviously [the Capitol set is] interesting for people who grew up with those records," Carter tells E! Online. "For Beatles guys like myself, though,…the American albums to me always seemed a bit confusing. The whole purpose originally was to make them friendly for American buyers, thus the duophonic stereo sound."

Carter notes that the reason John, Paul, George and Ringo stuck to mono was because it sounded better than stereo, which was still a nascent technology.

"Once we got past the early days of the Beatles, when we got into more studio production...albums like Revolver, Sgt. Pepper and especially The White Album, the Beatles, when they mixed these albums, mixed them in mono, that was the way they wanted you to hear them," Carter says. "When [Capitol's engineers] did the stereo mixes, the Beatles weren't even around."

Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:41 am

(friktech.com)

Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
MAS-2653 (mono)

A Day in the Life
mix: same as the UK mono mix of February 22, 1967.
Mal Evans' counting across the orchestral sections is more audible here than in the stereo mix. Some percussion also appears to be louder.
Notes: Just like the British release? Almost. This album lacks the "dog cut" and "inner groove" at the end. Otherwise, even its gatefold cover and insert roughly resemble the UK issue.
The mono record is sought-after because the Beatles themselves participated in the mixing of the LP.

Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:09 pm

JLGB wrote:For the early compilations do you use mono or stereo. I ask because some Beatles purists even like SGT Pepper better in mono. :? They state the mono mix was more elaborate in sound effects etc.

I've heard for years that the Beatles preferred Mono !

As I understand it, the Abbey Road booth playbacks they heard and approved of...were in mono, not stereo

In fact I once bought a mono Pepper lp just to have what they intended for the listeners to experience.

In 1987 (when I went thru a total Beatlefreak phase) I was disappointed by the stereo Pepper Cd via headphones. Too much spatial separation of instruments with "nothing" in the middle/center.

--- I do enjoy the stereo Help with 007-style intro

Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:12 pm

Thanks.

Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:22 pm

By the time of the White Album, the stereo mixes were finally arguably superior to the mono mixes.

Interestingly on the mono mix of the White Album, the mix of Helter Skelter is much shorter than the stereo mix, and you don't get to hear Ringo's infamous cry of "I've got blisters on me fingers!!".

I have bootleg copies of the mono mixes of Help!, Rubber Soul, Sgt Pepper, Magical Mystery Tour and the Yellow Submarine soundtrack - all have contemporaneous bonus tracks and I would argue that all are superior to the official stereo mix CDs.

Jules