Off Topic Messages

Hair loss

Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:50 pm

What determines whether you'll go bald or not?

My dad started losing his hair quite young, it never bothered him (he blamed it on the caps they used to wear on the steam trains!) but I'm sure it'd drive me crazy.

I've heard that you inherit your hair gene (or whatever) from your grandfather on your mother's side. I sure hope that one's true!

Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:11 pm

Dont worry about it mate.

If you have a problem then just buy a pair of electric clippers and have your hair really short then get down the gym and pump some iron.

If you are starting to go bald, build yourself up as big as a tank.
No one will notice your losing your hair and you will look like a right hard case. :wink:
Just dont put a silly wig on cause you will look like a right doughnut.

There are more things to worry about than losing your hair , as long as your healthy , what else matters.

Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:12 pm

It`s all in the genes. I have a mate with three brothers, and all three plus their father, have a great full head of hair (all in their 40`s dad in his 70`s).....but my mate is as bald as a coote.

So..........you got to look out for that rogue gene!

Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:34 pm

Ezzz wrote:but my mate is as bald as a coote.

A what????

Tom

Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:01 pm

Hair loss actually comes from your mothers genes, so if you mothers father has a good head of hair so will you.I have a few friends whose dads are losing their hair but have full heads of hair because of their grandfather on their mothers side. But if both your grandads have lost their hair (like me) then you'll just have to get used to it.

Check it out, it's a common misconception that the hair gene comes from the father.

Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:04 pm

Sean......shaving your head (steady Tom) and pumping yourself up like a tank, is a one way ticket to the Right Said Fred look. Very dodgy.

Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:26 pm

Andrew -

Male hair loss doesn't have the social stigma it once did.

Remember those awful comb-overs ?

No one feels the need to do that anymore !

When it starts to go, 'keep the hair short', seems to be the modern outlook.

Then just forget it !

Everyone else will !

Sat Nov 19, 2005 3:33 am

Thanks Colin... :cry:

Sat Nov 19, 2005 4:21 am

It is the genes......my daddy is bald only having hair in the sides. I still have hair :shock:

But after you are married no need to worry with this anymore.

Sat Nov 19, 2005 5:50 am

Renan wrote:It is the genes......my daddy is bald only having hair in the sides. I still have hair :shock:

Renan,
This is hilarious!! I love it! (Your wife won't mind if you lose your hair, but you won't get a girl friend if you don't have hair?) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
sue

I do think it is hereditary. My brother has almost no hair and my grandfather (mom's dad) didn't have hair. So it must come from your mother's side because my dad's side all had hair.

Sat Nov 19, 2005 6:08 am

ColinB wrote: Remember those awful comb-overs ?

You mean the Kev look??? :wink: :P

8)

Sat Nov 19, 2005 6:13 am

Male hair loss doesn't have the social stigma it once did.

Maybe not, but next time you're watching TV check out the commercials. Whenever they have someone playing the role of the beleaguered buffoon it's always a balding white male.

Sat Nov 19, 2005 3:52 pm

or you can go bruce willis and shave your head.

meh, go natural. i've seen some of those transplant commercials, and a lot of the hairlines look kinda unnatural strange--like the line is too even and straight across.

i'd insert a rogain joke here if i knew any.

oh remember the bunny of seville cartoon where elmer fudd grows flowers out of his head?

Sat Nov 19, 2005 5:14 pm

I've never worried about hair loss, as I've always worn my hair short. I'm a little thinner these days on top (41 years old), but not much than I was five years ago. I always figured that if it starts to go at an uncomfortable pace, I will have a stylist "grip it and rip it." Hair today, gone tomorrow. That wouldn't bother me much at all.

Sat Nov 19, 2005 5:27 pm

Promocollector wrote:Hair loss actually comes from your mothers genes, so if you mothers father has a good head of hair so will you.I

That's a myth. Hair loss is genetic, but the precise genes that cause it haven't been determined. It's thought to be a combination from both sides of the family. Having a maternal grandfather with a full head of hair is no guarantee that you will end up the same.

Sat Nov 19, 2005 5:42 pm

silver wrote:
Renan wrote:It is the genes......my daddy is bald only having hair in the sides. I still have hair :shock:

Renan,
This is hilarious!! I love it! (Your wife won't mind if you lose your hair, but you won't get a girl friend if you don't have hair?) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
sue

Yes, that´s the logic.. :lol: :lol:

Sat Nov 19, 2005 5:42 pm

There's something about the commercials for the hair restoration drugs that I find pretty funny. They all have that bit about the potential side effects - including impotency. But the main reason these guys take these drugs is so they can be more attractive to women and get some!
So it's self-defeating! :lol:
The moral of the story: Never risk the ability for the little head to rise for a little more hair to rise on the big head.

Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:03 pm

Lets face it, unless you look like Sean Connery, being a slap head just looks plain pitifull.

I wonder what Elvis would have looked like without so much hair? after all, towards the end his his hair was starting to thin.

Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:17 pm

Actually loosing hair does not seem to affect the succes with the opposite sex. I am 40 and have lost a lot of my hair on top. I keep it VERY short. I started loosing the hair before I met my wife and girls have never been a problem, hair or not.

One positive side effect with the hormone thing that leads to hair loss is that the little head works better on older men without hair than on the ones who still have their hair (according to medical research).

Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:56 pm

You could always get a wig like Garry Glitter :shock:

Sun Nov 20, 2005 3:42 pm

samses wrote:One positive side effect with the hormone thing that leads to hair loss is that the little head works better on older men without hair than on the ones who still have their hair (according to medical research).

Another myth I'm afraid. Sounds good when someone says it's supported by medical research, but the reality is that there is no proof of a link between baldness and virility. Some myths persist because a lot of people want them to be true - in this case bald men :)

Sun Nov 20, 2005 7:36 pm

sam wrote:
ColinB wrote: Remember those awful comb-overs ?

You mean the Kev look??? :wink: :P

8)

Don't know what KEV looks like !

Have I put my foot in it ?

Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:01 pm

samses wrote:Actually loosing hair does not seem to affect the succes with the opposite sex. I am 40 and have lost a lot of my hair on top. I keep it VERY short. I started loosing the hair before I met my wife and girls have never been a problem, hair or not.

One positive side effect with the hormone thing that leads to hair loss is that the little head works better on older men without hair than on the ones who still have their hair (according to medical research).

I am 58, butt-ugly and hairless. But I still have success with the opposite sex. In fact I have more success than when I was young as I also know better how to not make a fool of myself.
Especially women between 35 and 45 years old seem to like me. 8)

Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:42 pm

You got plenty of money Luuk ?

Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:18 am

Luuk wrote:I am 58, butt-ugly and hairless. But I still have success with the opposite sex. In fact I have more success than when I was young as I also know better how to not make a fool of myself.
Especially women between 35 and 45 years old seem to like me. 8)

Got any tips?? :wink: