Off Topic Messages

King Kong

Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:56 pm

I can't wait! Any news? I think this film is going to be the blockbuster of the year.

By the way, anybody remember the King Kong cartoon from the late 60's? The theme song went like this:
King Kong, you know the name of
King Kong, you know the fame of
King Kong, he's ten times as big as a man.

Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:05 pm

What news are you looking for??? http://www.kingkongmovie.com has everything you need to know. I remember the King Kong cartoon. It's out on DVD:

ImageImage

Tom

P.S. This film will be HUGE!!!!!

Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:52 pm

How did that little bunch of guys manage to get that huge chimp on board the ship, back in the original film ?

Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:56 pm

Shhhhhhhhhhh...movie magic.

Tom

Sat Nov 19, 2005 7:54 am

I'm looking forward to this new version also. Just so it isn't as drawn out and boring as Lord Of The Rings.
Also, can't wait for the original version next week on DVD.

jeff R

Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:26 am

I heard it's going to be 3 hours

Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:33 am

I can't WAIT for this movie!!!! I have the VHS of the original.......looking forward to the DVD!!!

Sat Nov 19, 2005 3:19 pm

There has been some clips on tv over hear,and what i have seen it looks great. 8)

Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:02 am

When the New York scenes were shot in Wellington and the local newspaper ran photographs - all the now antique cars were shown as right hand drives - which we are in NZ.

The jungle scenes were all man made and located around Wellington harbour.

The ship is real (an old tramp) - they had one bad day when filming near the coast in heavy seas and the engine broke down.

It opens here in about three weeks with the stars returning.

I guess you know that the next jackson project "HALO" (yes, the game) is already underway.

Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:29 am

The three hour thing is a bad omen. I really don't see how you can spread this story over three hours. Are we going to get all that led up to Anne Darrow stealing that piece of fruit? Carl Denham's previous movies? I guess you can't make a blockbuster these days under two and a half hours. Sometimes less can be more.

Sun Nov 20, 2005 4:16 pm

LTB -

Oh, they spend some time looking at what a difficult upbringing poor Kong had [his parents were normal-sized apes you know].

Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:55 pm

Three Hours :shock:

Then again, I liked the uncut versions of Lord Of The Rings. They were well told.

Jackson at this point....I trust. Hope that doesn't come back to bite me in the ass. :lol:

Thu Nov 24, 2005 3:32 am

Peter Jackson is personally paying to add 22 minutes to King Kong to bring it up to 3 hours.

The film was scheduled to be 2 hours and 38 minutes - which a cynic might suggest is designed for commecials when TV is considered.

Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:06 pm

Even 2 hours and 38 minutes is a darn long movie.

Kiwi- With the number of commercials on TV these days (about 13 minutes per hour) Jackson would have to lop another 15 minutes off his movie to fit in a three hour TV time slot.

Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:21 pm

The reason they expanded the film should be obvious to everyone: they had to accomodate Adrian Brody's schnozola! :)

Fri Nov 25, 2005 2:17 am

Once again, Wellington is going Peter Jackson crazy.

The city is closing numerous for the premiere on December 14.

I expect a huge Kong to be displayed soon.

The PC game is selling like crazy here.

Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:13 am

I suspect much of the length of the film will be during the Skull Island segment. Specifically I think there will be a number of Jurassic Park type of dinosaur menace sequences.

I watched the original King Kong today, and the print looks great given the age of the film!

Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:55 am

I saw the trailer for this for the first time during the Harry Potter movie and must admit I can't wait to see it. I agree with LTB and Geno though that a 3 hour movie is just too long! Just knowing that a movie is going to last that long puts me off going to see it. I never went to see Titanic for that reason alone, 3 hours in an uncomfortable chair surrounded by people grazing on popcorn! No thanks. :D

Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:15 am

I don't mind a three hour movie (although it does a require a huge time commitment) but it has to justify the length and relatively few stories do. King Kong is a very elemental type story and one of the great strengths of the original movie is the pace of the story.

I think in general movies today are too long. So, many times I watch a movie and I see what I think is the ending and has another or two three endings after that.

Sat Nov 26, 2005 8:35 am

Delboy wrote:I saw the trailer for this for the first time during the Harry Potter movie and must admit I can't wait to see it. I agree with LTB and Geno though that a 3 hour movie is just too long! Just knowing that a movie is going to last that long puts me off going to see it. I never went to see Titanic for that reason alone, 3 hours in an uncomfortable chair surrounded by people grazing on popcorn! No thanks. :D

Ahhhhhhhhh Del....you unfortunate boy you.

I relish the opportunity to sit for 3 hours in the theatre.

My children will be home.

My beautiful Latina wife will be cuddled close to my right side (I'm a righty.......can't go left. The Seinfeld lovers out there will understand :wink: )

Plush and comfortable stadium seating.

State of the art video and audio.

A menu of entrees, appetizers and desserts to enjoy while we view the show. I always get the Dolly Parton sandwich........described in the menu as "Two heaping mounds :shock: of honey ham served with provolone cheese on a toasted hoagie roll".

Ahhhhhhh yes.........did I mention that the kids would be at home??

Shangri-La, my friend :wink:

Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:44 am

Scatter wrote:Plush and comfortable stadium seating

You obviously haven't been to a UK cinema. :wink:

State of the art video and audio.

I'm warming up to the idea now.

A menu of entrees, appetizers and desserts to enjoy while we view the show. I always get the Dolly Parton sandwich........described in the menu as "Two heaping mounds :shock: of honey ham served with provolone cheese on a toasted hoagie roll".

You've convinced me! Is Titanic still on down your neck of the woods? I'm coming over! :D

Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:36 pm

Del........you're welcome at my home any time you care to visit. And when you come, I will show you what a real movie theatre should look like.

We had another theatre here a while back called the Cinema 'n' Drafthouse. Sold not only food (REAL food......not just candy) but liquor and beer. In frosted mugs.

Seating was exactly like a restaurant.........round tables with 4 chairs, or a bar where the patrons faced he screen.

Waitresses popped in and out to take orders and serve refills.

They did a great business........but closed inexplicably. Fortunately, we've had another open with the same perks.

Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:56 pm

Jesus Scatter, i love my food and drink, but i could`nt enjoy a film in those conditions!

By the way, did you ever try to cop a quick feel of the waitresses as they popped in and out in the dark ?

Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:59 am

Actually Ezzz, I would have said the same thing.........until I went. It's not exactly like a full-functioning restaurant. You order before and during the coming attractions. Most entrees are finger food, sandwiches, etc. Not a lot of silverware clattering.

The waitresses pop in and out without much obstructing the view because of the way the tables are situated. There really is no more noise or distraction than you would find in a regular theatre with its crinkling candy wrappers, whispering customers, people btiefly obstructing your view going to the restroom or candy counter, etc.

BTW........the waitresses are forced by necessity to bend over quite a bit. Temptation has reared (pun intended) its ugly head more than once :wink:

Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:27 pm

Folks I'm gonna make a prediction: King Kong is going to be the biggest box-office success since Titanic. I've just got a gut feeling this film is going to explode!
By the way have you seen the recent photos of Peter Jackson? He's lost a lot of weight!