Off Topic Messages

Night Stalker is Cancelled

Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:28 pm

ABC has pulled the plug on its low-rated Night Stalker update. Exec producer Frank Spotnitz confirmed the news on his personal website. "It is with regret that I confirm Night Stalker has been canceled," he said. "While I’m disappointed the series has come to an end, I am enormously grateful for the experience and the opportunity given me by the network and Touchstone Television."

Tom

Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:13 pm

Despite misgivings, I gave this show another chance after watching the wretched series opener. Wish I hadn't. It died a quicker death than many of Kolchak's monsters.

Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:17 pm

I never watched the show, but a reviewer friend of mine said he "knew by the first commercial break of the very first episode that the show was doomed".

Tom

Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:37 am

The original series worked because it didn't take itself too seriously.
Darren McGavin had an irrascible charm ... a vampire stalker who had little patience for the undead, and would rather run than fight.
Without McGavin, it just wasn't the Night Stalker to me.

Sat Nov 19, 2005 6:10 pm

I liked the show for what it was (X-Files re-hashed), but I'm not surprised it didn't make it. I hung with it for 5 episodes, and I thought it improved as it went along, but this type of show doesn't do well on network tv. It might have done better on Sci-Fi or WB.

The original series only lasted for 20 episodes. The main problem was the inconsistent quality. Only on rare occasions did the series approach the excellence of the two t.v. movies (particularly the first). But having to suspend disbelief week after week was also a factor. The series did gain a cult following when shown on late night t.v. in the late 70's.

Darren McGavin was excellent in the role.

There is a show on WB called Supernatural which is surprisingly good for this genre.