Off Topic Messages

question about larry hagman

Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:17 pm

hello all

I d like to know how the man who played JR is seen in the US :?:

Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:20 pm

how he's seen? I don't get it.

He's a legendary TV actor - with 2 hit shows
his Mother was a famous Broadway actress.

Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:23 pm

I think he's had well documented problems with alcohol but his place in TV history is assured.

Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:40 pm

He's usually seen with our eyeballs....and he's pretty cool IMO. I thought he was great in "I Dream Of Jeannie." "Dallas" taught us it was okay to love to hate Larry. He's fine as an actor, even if he is a far-left loon.

Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:51 pm

And he's still around at 74.

re

Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:56 pm

in fact, my question is :
do americans look at him like a "living legend" or only a good tv actor :?:

Re: re

Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:27 am

tcb4 wrote:in fact, my question is :

with all due respect, your question is odd.

Is Hagman coming to France and so you want to know what level of pomp & circumstance to greet him with? Red carpet, or linoleum?

To treat him like one or the other?

If he is your guest, treat him like a real person, but a certified TV legend.
He personified a NASA astronaut in the 1960s, even tho just acting as one,
and in 1980, had the whole world holding its breath all summer long over the mystery to know who shot JR - not every actor achieves that level of worldwide attention and phenomena over a fictional character.

Re: re

Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:24 am

tcb4 wrote:in fact, my question is :

I look at him as an okay actor.
sue

Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:42 pm

personally, i'm a big fan of i dream of jeannie...not so much dallas, though i've heard a lot about it.

major nelson was awesome. along with bill daily as major healy.

and our very own elvis acted with jeannie herself, barbara eden.

::blink::

he's a left-wing nut, indeed. and he almost lives next door to my sister-in-law's mother in ojai, california. i almost got to meet him when i stayed at her house for a week (i brought a lot of movies--we're talking ojai hippie earth-muffin rather expensive nowheresville here), and in fact lola and john are very close to larry and his wife.

Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:43 pm

Larry is a great guy and a dear friend. He, Barbara, and Bill are just finishing up commentaries on the upcoming I Dream of Jeannie DVD set. His health is much, much better and his life is going great. He was recently asked to be in the new Dallas movie, but hasn't made up his mind yet. He did say that if Travolta takes the JR role, he'll do it, though.

Tom

Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:06 pm

Tom in North Carolina wrote:Larry is a great guy and a dear friend. He, Barbara, and Bill are just finishing up commentaries on the upcoming I Dream of Jeannie DVD set. His health is much, much better and his life is going great. He was recently asked to be in the new Dallas movie, but hasn't made up his mind yet. He did say that if Travolta takes the JR role, he'll do it, though.

Tom

Thanks for the Larry Hagman update, Tom.
In the eighties, Dallas was my favourite show. TVland has rerun the complete series, and I've watched the full run twice. The show holds up well, because it was based upon family, which never grows old.
Love him or hate him, JR Ewing was charismatic and captivating.

Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:28 pm

Can't wait to pick up I Dream of Jeannie Season One.
Last I heard is it is going to be released when the remake film hits theaters in Sept. 2006. I am hoping for a Spring / Summer release though, because I don't know if I care for SNL's Jimmy Fallon as Major Nelson.

Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:34 pm

Melanie wrote:Can't wait to pick up I Dream of Jeannie Season One.
Last I heard is it is going to be released when the remake film hits theaters in Sept. 2006. I am hoping for a Spring / Summer release though, because I don't know if I care for SNL's Jimmy Fallon as Major Nelson.

Don't hold your breath. Pre-production on the film has shut down, maybe for good. Larry told me that he was told that the DVD set will street in June or July.

Tom

Sat Nov 19, 2005 7:35 pm

Make that November where I live.

I just checked IMDb re: remake.
Nice comment there: This project has been "stuffed back into the bottle."

BTW according to reports LH recently bailed out a con in Germany. The guy had been organizing an UNESCO charity event. So LH went to the jail and put down $30,000 to get the manager out, just for that one evening.