Off Topic Messages

Little Willie John

Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:10 pm

The original singer of 'Fever', Little Willie John would have been 68 today.

If, of course, he hadn't died of a heart attack aged just 30, while in prison [for manslaughter] in 1968.

ImageImage

Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:45 am

I liked some of his stuff.

Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:58 am

iamhekev wrote:I liked some of his stuff.

Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:49 pm

He was a terrific singer underrated and underused. He was one of the best there ever was at conveying heartbreak which, despite the sexual heat generated by "Fever", was his forte'. "I Need Your Love So Bad" is a big favorite of mine. I astounded to find out that he was mere teenager (a fact that should be evident by the picture shown in the previous posts)when he sang many of his greatest recordings including "Fever". He sounds like he's lived a lifetime on something like "Talk To Me".

Incidentally, John was such a huge influence on James Brown that Brown was moved to record an entire album of his stuff.

One thing that has often been written about John is incorrect. Peggy Lee did not steal "Fever" from him. His record came out in 1956 and Lee's came out in 1958. Further, Lee's record had different lyrics and a substantially different production. Her record was the one that originated the bass and drums deal.
Last edited by likethebike on Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:24 pm

LTB -

You wrote:
Peggy Lee did not steal "Fever" from him.
His record came out in 1956 and Lee's came out in 1958.
Further, Lee's record had different lyrics and a substantially production. Her record was the one that originated the bass and drums deal.

Elvis' version owed more to Peggy than John !

Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:10 pm

Only 68? I mean that. We were robbed of many good years by
his early and sad demise.

I'm the proud owner of this '90's Rhino set:

LTB, the definitive cover of his "I Need Love So Bad" is by the late
great "Little" Junior Parker which most here know for his original
"Mystery Train" on Sun.

Likewise, "Talk to Me" is another stone
classic by John that has also been covered nicely as I recall.