Off Topic Messages

I Love Australia!!!!!!!

Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:53 am

I'm a big fan of clarity, so my new hero is Peter Costello, the treasurer of Australia:

If you are somebody who wants to live in an Islamic state governed by sharia law you are not going to be happy in Australia, because Australia is not an Islamic state, will never be an Islamic state and will never be governed by sharia law.
We are a secular state under our constitution, our law is made by parliament elected in democratic elections.

We do not derive our laws from religious instruction.

There are Islamic states around the world that practise sharia law and if that’s your object you may well be much more at home in such a country than trying to turn Australia into one of those countries, because it’s not going to happen.

Via Tim Blair, who suggests that Costello's words "be displayed in the arrivals areas of Australian airports."

Now........if only the PC cowards in Washington, Downing Street, Paris, etc would grow the 'nads to say it as well.

Sun Nov 13, 2005 3:09 pm

This would fit equally well and should be applied with the same clarity to the Creationist/Intelligent Design thread, debate.

Thanks for the post Scatter, indeed, a rare moment of clarity in the "Off Topic" section.

Geoff

Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:53 am

tupelo_boy wrote:This would fit equally well and should be applied with the same clarity to the Creationist/Intelligent Design thread, debate.

Thanks for the post Scatter, indeed, a rare moment of clarity in the "Off Topic" section.

Geoff

Tupe -
I feel I should mention to you that Scatter is even more of an I.D. advocate than I am.

As for clarity creationism and I.D. are two different concepts. Creationism in it's 'properly understood' sense is the concept that the Earth is 6000 years old (or thereabouts), Adam & Eve were the first human beings, ect. Advocates of this school of thought take the genesis creation account literally, and want to have it taught as science in public schools in competition with evolution.
Intelligent Design is a theory put forward by legitimate scientists, mainly working in the fields of bio-chemistry, molecular biology, that certain systems in living organisms display what is known as irreducible complexity. These scientists aren't necessarily anti-evolution per se, they just believe that these systems that exhibit irreducible complexity could not have arisen by Darwinian gradualism. This irreducible complexity is also highly specific, leading these researchers to conclude that these systems were the result of design by an intelligent 'agent.' I.D. advocates make no claims regarding the identity of the designing agent. I.D. advocates for the most part do not seek to have I.D. taught in public schools, they merely seek to have evolution taught in an honest pro & con manner (something that has not been the case here in the U.S.). They also seek to have evidence for design/irreducible complexity get a fair hearing from the biological science community, particularly from zoologists and evolutionary biologists.

Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:10 am

Thanks Pete.........just found this.

I.D. is indeed science. It has fewer suppositions than proponents of macro-evolution. Irreducible complexity makes Darwinist evolution scratch its collective head. But no worries........there will be another unfalsifiable, untestable, nonsensical theory along soon :lol:

No one here wants religion taught in schools Geoff..........we just want the theory of evolution explored for all its faults and strengths.

I.D. has NOTHING to do with religion.The observable phenomena leave holes and questions to be answred by evolutionists. Observable phenomena............not Scripture.

Why are the evolutionists so afraid of honest inquiry??? It makes one wonder how confident they are........

Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:03 pm

Duly noted guys, thanks for the clarification.

The original sentiment re the clarity of thought still applies.

Best wishes

Geoff