Off Topic Messages

Jerry Lee Lewis up to his old tricks again

Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:17 am

Just days before his UK tour with the TCB Band and Percy Sledge was due to begin, it seems that the entire tour has been cancelled at the last minute. Not for the first time, Lewis has landed promoters with a major headache. Also typical of Lewis, no reason has been given, although some cynics are claiming poor ticket sales. I had thought of going to see him, but tickets for Hammersmith Apollo on November 24 were £35 each, which is a bit steep considering Lewis would not have been on stage for more than 20-30 minutes anyway. Bloody good job I didn't.

Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:23 am

Although Jerry Lee is definitely one of a kind and had a few country hits back in the late 60's that I really like, I wouldn't go see him today if someone gave me free tickets.

I think it's time 'ol Jerry Lee was put out to pasture.

Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:12 pm

Jerry Lee Lewis is one of the true cornerstones when it comes to Rock'n Roll, and he also had a significant impact on Country Music later on in his career.

But his major problem has always seemed to be his attitude.
His ego and self-picture is second to only maybe Little Richard!

Jerry Lee's reputation compared to the humbleness of artists like Elvis, Carl Perkins, Roy Orbison and several other Rock'n Roll legends makes a very big CONTRAST, to say the least!

Then again - it ain't called Rock'n Roll for nothing... :wink:

Br
Kristian

Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:17 pm

When I was at Sun Studios last year, I sat down and played the rather strange looking piano there. It is alleged that this piano is the one on which Lewis recorded Great Balls of Fire, Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On and his other Sun hits. That was quite a good feeling, I have to say.

But it seems that Lewis will not be playing any piano on tour this November. Why does he do this? It is not the first tour he has cancelled at the last minute, and it is no wonder that ticket sales were poor (if indeed that is the reason) since he has this reputation. It is a vicious cycle.

Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:37 pm

Where's Tits McGhee when you need him? He's a huge Jerry Lee fan and must have an explanation as to why Ole Killer is once again a no-show.

Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:40 pm

Rob wrote:Although Jerry Lee is definitely one of a kind and had a few country hits back in the late 60's that I really like, I wouldn't go see him today if someone gave me free tickets.

I think it's time 'ol Jerry Lee was put out to pasture.

I won a pair of tickets to a Blues fest in Tulsa a couple of years back with JLL headlining (also Ike Turner was gonna be there :roll: ) I was like F**K IT I don't want to see either of these guys even for free! lol :lol: I never liked JLL anymore since I read about him trying to gate crash the music gates at Graceland in '76... he's got some good songs that I like, but I don't like his(or Ikes') personalities.

JEFF d
Elvis fan

Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:31 pm

Rob wrote:I wouldn't go see him today if someone gave me free tickets.

He wouldn't show, anyway, Rob. I tried to see him a few years ago in Green Bay, WI, and he pulled the same crap. The only difference being that we (the audience) were told he wouldn't be appearing at 9pm, which was show time. :evil:

Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:52 pm

I know I'm going to get shot for saying this, but I've never much cared for "The Killer".

I do like some of the songs he sang on, but as for him - not too fond of, because for one thing, his live performances seamed "annoying" to me, because he always puts his "name" in every song and occasionally changes lyrics.

I managed to see him once at a nightclub near Atlanta, and I just wasn't impressed; he behaved as if he was intoxicated!

Maybe I just caught a bad show, I hope so.

Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:23 am

EagleUSA wrote:Where's Tits McGhee when you need him? He's a huge Jerry Lee fan and must have an explanation as to why Ole Killer is once again a no-show.

Here I am, Mr. Eagle! I've been away scuba diving in deepest Market Deeping. I came back for the JLL tour, for which I had tickets to four shows. Yes, of course I was disappointed to hear it was cancelled. But I made some calls and found out that the promoter had not paid The Killer his deposit money.
Sorry to disappoint some of the "oooh, I don't like Jerry Lee Lewis - that naughty man who tried to crash the Graceland gates" brigade, but poor ticket sales were not to blame. Ticket sales were good, with virtually all of the higher priced tickets sold out at most of the venues. But if the promoter doesn't stick to his word and come up with the front money, what is JLL supposed to do?
I realise I'd probably be better off talking to the back end of a donkey, but as someone who has seen The Killer on stage more than 40 times (the most recent being last year), let me tell you that there is NOBODY on this planet - yes, that's NOBODY - who can out-rock and out-roll him. Nobody else comes even close. Well, apart from Busted, of course. And maybe Celion Dion.

Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:28 am

Celine Dion? Who could she possibly "out rock"?

jeff R

Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:04 am

"out frock" by elton john. :oops:

The worse one for not turning up or making daft demands etc,is C.BERRY.

Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:41 am

I have no doubt Jerry Lee puts on a great show, when he shows up. Perhaps it was the promoter, perhaps he was ill, perhaps the planets didn't line up quite right, whatever. The point is, it is too often the case.

Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:21 am

Tits -
If I ever get my hands on free tickets, they're all yours.

Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:32 am

KHoots wrote:I have no doubt Jerry Lee puts on a great show, when he shows up.

...and IF he's not drunk.... maybe.... personally I can't stand him. Makes you wonder what Gods grand scheme of things is when this a** still walks the earth and Elvis is almost gone now for almost 30 years.

JEFF d
Elvis fan

Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:53 pm

I was all set to see the first show of the tour tomorrow night in Blackpool, and have a nice hotel room booked along with a resturant table booked!

I`m not even a fan of the old codger, it was the TCB Band i rally wanted to see.........again.

The Killer ?.............The Pisser more like ! (though it does sound like it was`nt his fault for having to blow out the tour).

Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:13 pm

...and IF he's not drunk.... maybe.... personally I can't stand him. Makes you wonder what Gods grand scheme of things is when this a** still walks the earth and Elvis is almost gone now for almost 30 years.

I've seen him drunk and sober. Sometimes the drunken shows are the best. He still walks the earth because he's a survivor. As Big E sang, "Only the strong survive". The Killer is still hanging in there - still out-rocking everybody else. God bless him, and may God have mercy on the dicks who don't understand his genius. The proof is in the rocking - and the longevity.

Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:16 pm

I`m not even a fan of the old codger, it was the TCB Band i rally wanted to see.........again.

The Killer ?.............The Pisser more like ! (though it does sound like it was`nt his fault for having to blow out the tour).
[/quote]
And all that money you spent on getting your jumpsuit cleaned for the gig...dear me. Hope the cleaner will give you a refund. Me? I'm off to get pissed. That's what I rally want to do.

Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:55 pm

Hey saggy tits, you still running that Showaddywaddy fan club ?

Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:43 pm

Nah. The Rubettes were always much better. And I'll have you know that there's nothing saggy about yours truly. Why do people insist on taking the piss out of my name? What's wrong with it? My mate is called Droop E. Penis and he never has any trouble with that. Some people are just so damn childish.

Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:18 am

Jerry Lee married his cousin...........

Sat Nov 12, 2005 2:12 am

So did I. Ya got a problem with that?

Sat Nov 12, 2005 2:25 am

Well... I think I do.

Sat Nov 12, 2005 2:27 am

It's perfectly legal to marry a cousin and [in parts of the US] even one as young as Myra.

Trouble was, Jerry was still married to a previous wife at the time...............

Sat Nov 12, 2005 2:30 am

Well, it's legal here too, but nobody does it.

Sat Nov 12, 2005 2:45 am

Hell, the bloke next door to me comes from Mississippi and he's his own dad's father.