Off Topic Messages

Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:43 am

TJ wrote:
MauriceinIreland wrote:Would you rather your daughter marry a black doctor or a white drug dealer.

Which makes the most cash??

Kidding :wink:

Kidding but this happens all the time :shock:

Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:00 am

TJ wrote:
MauriceinIreland wrote:Would you rather your daughter marry a black doctor or a white drug dealer.

Which makes the most cash??

Well, this would depend on several variables:

Would the doctor be a GP, or work in a hospital; would he be a junior or a consultant; a gynaecologist or a surgeon ?

As for the drug dealer, what sort of quantities of which sort of drug are we talking about; which area does he operate in ?

Without further detailed info, the question of comparative earnings cannot be resolved.

Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:37 am

Pete Dube wrote:Colin -
Absolutely nothing, and I didn't mean to suggest anything!

LOL! I know you didn't. Funny both of you. :)

Eileen

Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:47 am

TJ wrote:This is getting a little persecutory though Scatter. I'm sure most of us don't self-analyse to the degree you are expecting. Give the woman a break :wink:

TJ I sincerely appreciate your thoughtfulness. Really though, it isn't about feeling pushed towards self-analysis or anything of the sort, I'm not feeling at all put upon in that arena.

It's about Scatter sitting in front of me at a rock concert, turning and slopping beer in my lap and vomiting on my shoes, then expecting me to converse with him about how the lead singer kicks ass.

Eileen

Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:35 am

Eileen wrote:
Pete Dube wrote:Colin -
Absolutely nothing, and I didn't mean to suggest anything!

LOL! I know you didn't. Funny both of you. :)

Eileen

Thanks for being so understanding Eil ... err ... I mean, Ms. Eileen M'Lady. That Colin, he's a card ain't he, ha ha ha. Your humble servant will now take his leave from your presence .... err .... with your permission of course.

(Psssst, Colin. What were you thinking damn it! Your post could've caused her to get mad at me! I saw how she handled Scatter. I wanna stay on her good side.)

Oh, hi there again Ms. Eileen M'Lady. I-I-I was just telling Colin here of your gracious understanding and wonderful sense of humor of his little joke. Right Colin? .... Right Colin? .... RIGHT COLIN? (Colin if you know what's good for you you'll say right. I don't know if I can outrun her but I'm pretty sure I can outrun you!)

Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:12 am

I think that perhaps some of us are selling Eileen short. I think she is trying truly to be a just honest good human being, as are we all. I don't know about the prejudice bit. I mean, think about it: I accept Gen, Scatter, Scotch, GG as well as anyone else who chooses to post. I think Eileen does, too. Even if we sometimes disagree with an opinion, it doesn't really make us prejudiced, does it? Those that I named are pretty right winged and I am very liberal. That doesn't mean I'm prejudiced against the right-disposed opinion. Well, maybe I am prejudiced against anyone who has acted in a way that is harmful to others. But then that isn't prejudiced, because I didn't pre-judge; I judged after they did something harmful. Hmmmm. Well.... I need an Panexa.
sue

Well.......... I do get upset if someone disagrees with an opinion that I am sure of or if they are really meanly sarcastic about something I said. (I didn't think Scatter was being meanly sarcastic when I said I missed DJC, when he said he would try to aim more accurately the next time. I just thought it was funny.) But, I do think Scatter was kind of picking on Eileen in this post. (Have you noticed that Eileen has a wildly funny sense of humor?)

Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:21 am

Eileen wrote:
TJ wrote:This is getting a little persecutory though Scatter. I'm sure most of us don't self-analyse to the degree you are expecting. Give the woman a break :wink:

TJ I sincerely appreciate your thoughtfulness. Really though, it isn't about feeling pushed towards self-analysis or anything of the sort, I'm not feeling at all put upon in that arena.

It's about Scatter sitting in front of me at a rock concert, turning and slopping beer in my lap and vomiting on my shoes, then expecting me to converse with him about how the lead singer kicks ass.

Eileen

Really beneath you.

I merely posited a series of questions designed to illustrate the absurdity of your contention that you are without prejudice.

Your responses were the only ones to contain insults and childish mudslinging. It's an old tool......

You have still not replied to a single one of the questions posed. Evidently, that is because you dared not for fear of being shown in the wrong.

No matter. Your desperate attempts to deflect at all costs have illustrated that fact just as clearly as if you had actually answered the questions.

The fact that your means of deflection was to insult me like a petulant child speaks volumes as well.

This is a discussion board. If you prefer your assinine assetions go unchallenged, I suggest you start a blog.

The truth is, your contention that you alone in the world are devoid of any trace of prejudice is no more substantial than a wafting bubble.

I merely inserted a sharp pin into it.

Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:35 am

silver wrote:I think that perhaps some of us are selling Eileen short. I think she is trying truly to be a just honest good human being, as are we all. I don't know about the prejudice bit. I mean, think about it: I accept Gen, Scatter, Scotch, GG as well as anyone else who chooses to post. I think Eileen does, too. Even if we sometimes disagree with an opinion, it doesn't really make us prejudiced, does it? Those that I named are pretty right winged and I am very liberal. That doesn't mean I'm prejudiced against the right-disposed opinion. Well, maybe I am prejudiced against anyone who has acted in a way that is harmful to others. But then that isn't prejudiced, because I didn't pre-judge; I judged after they did something harmful. Hmmmm. Well.... I need an Panexa.
sue

Well.......... I do get upset if someone disagrees with an opinion that I am sure of or if they are really meanly sarcastic about something I said. (I didn't think Scatter was being meanly sarcastic when I said I missed DJC, when he said he would try to aim more accurately the next time. I just thought it was funny.) But, I do think Scatter was kind of picking on Eileen in this post. (Have you noticed that Eileen has a wildly funny sense of humor?)

Silver, to be honest, Eileen and I have never to my recollection clashed before. I hold no animosity towards her, and never have.

I only began to press the point hard when she started slinging insults once she realized she had no defensible answer.

And I agree that she is, as we all are, trying to be a good and honest person. However, If she chose not to address the points raised by her assertions she could have merely said so............"I don't want to get into all that", or some such thing.

No harm, no foul.

But instead she chose to stoop to ever more thinly veiled insult, culminating in her disgusting final post (which more accurately described her behavior, not mine).

So be it........it was illustrative none-the-less.

Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:47 am

MauriceinIreland wrote:Evilution at work.

Rising above primitive prejudices is part of our evolution.

Do I worry when passing a group of dark skinned students as much as I would passing a group of white thugs?

Would you rather your daughter marry a black doctor or a white drug dealer.

Do we recognise the savage within hiding beneath a superficial skin of learning?
Can I stop thinking of rabid Mormons converting us all.

Wow! I could go on and on, but I'll leave that to those who go on, and on, at the drop of a hat.

Do we recognise the savage within hiding beneath a superficial skin of learning?

Precisely Maurice.......as Shakespeare would say, "Ahhhhh......therein lies the rub."

The point isn't whether or not the savage is hiding within each of us. That is beyond dispute. The point is whether we recognise him beneath our own skin. Some do not. Or choose not to. That doesn't change the fact that he is there.

Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:17 am

Scatter,
You are RIGHT!!!! You've never clashed with Eileen before. It's too bad it went as far as it did!! You are BOTH reasonable people!! I can't figure it out.
sue

P.S. Have you noticed that Eileen has a wildly funny sense of humor?

Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:20 am

Pete -

You wrote:
Oh, hi there again Ms. Eileen M'Lady.
I-I-I was just telling Colin here of your gracious understanding and wonderful sense of humor of his little joke.
Right Colin? .... Right Colin? .... RIGHT COLIN?
(Colin if you know what's good for you you'll say right. I don't know if I can outrun her but I'm pretty sure I can outrun you!)

Err..... right ! right ! RIGHT !

I was just stirring [as usual] !

Eileen took it in good part [but you panicked].

Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:49 am

"The point isn't whether or not the savage is hiding within each of us. That is beyond dispute. The point is whether we recognise him beneath our own skin. Some do not. Or choose not to. That doesn't change the fact that he is there." Scatter."

I'm sure Eileen is not one of those, "Some".

Scatter, You know that, and you know that we know that, and Eileen knows that we know. you know that.

How does one choose not to know something that one definitely does know? Now that is a question:-)

Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:55 pm

Getting back to one of the original, more salient points, does
it make sense for other-wise fair-minded people to fully disarm
their "prejudice" as they walk the streets..or certain streets? In nature,
we'd find out the hard way. I think being mindful of the reality
of crime statistics, one would be foolish to be fully color-blind
in all situations.

This applies to whether a white person should walk the streets at night
in say, Roxbury in Boston, the South Side in Chicago, or Bedford-Stuyvesant in Brookyn, New York - or when we analyze just who is
tearing up the streets of the Paris suburbs.

We don't get anywhere close to a solution by pretending that race is
not a factor -and at the very least, an identifier. That solution may involve
addressing unemployment, education, or poverty - or, more punitively, getting tougher on crime, "throwing away the key," etc.

But color-blindness, while an ideal in some respects (hard-fought for in many arenas such as the right to vote freely, etc.) is also contradicted and reinforced on other planes as "the other" never really goes away.

Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:58 am

Agreed Greg........the reality is that while I may harbor no animus toward the man approaching me on a deserted dtreet at 3AM in a seedy neighborhood......it's a bit foolish to assume he harbors no animosity toward MY race.

The typical response to the above is usually some pablum like......

"Well, you are fostering an atmosphere of distrust when you view things that way. You are contributing to the problem", or some other such nonsense.

Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:36 pm

Full circle?

Coincidently, this morning on British Channel 4 TV Schools programmes there is a Rapper touring schools talking about race issues. He also visited a Slave Museum in Liverpool. The branding irons, shackles and other horrendous implements of slavery are exhibited.

He discussed the use of the N word which he uses in his act, and why white children still use it in the British school playgrounds to insult the
coloured children, most of whom were born and bred in England.

Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:09 pm

Eileen wrote:It's about Scatter sitting in front of me at a rock concert, turning and slopping beer in my lap and vomiting on my shoes, then expecting me to converse with him about how the lead singer kicks ass.
Eileen

Folks, I have it on good authority that the despicable, drunken slob, low-life reprobate described by Eileen is definitely not Scatter!

And I did offer to pay for the shoes.

Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:17 pm

Eileen really has got to stop going to see those
"Ratt" reunion concerts! :lol:

:smt035

Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:46 pm

so lets say theres a bank robbery done by 2 white guys & a mugging in parking lot by 2 black guys,both happen in same town,same day,now which is going to be the lead story on the news that night :?:

Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:05 am

Well, in some ways, black crime is "old news" unless it affects white viewers, especially in affluent suburbs. Then you have some "news."

If it happens in the black community, it's not always considered news, sadly.

This depends on what "TV market" you live in, as well. Some cities
seem to do it better than others, while others leave it all up to local
tabloids. They'd rather move on to sports and the happy weather forecast, capped off by a cute animal story before saying "good night."

Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:27 am

but i love the cute animal storys :oops: , makes me feel warm & fuzzy

Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:20 am

The bank robbery is going to make the lead every time in my neighborhood...perpetrated by black or white, doesn't matter. I say this because in the last week we've had bank robberies committed by a black individual and a white individual. Both were caught and each made the top of the news for a few evenings.

The typical muggings usually come on after the first commercial break, around 11:10 or so.