Off Topic Messages

Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:47 pm

Renan -

You wrote:
I mean people help each other a lot.
Hospitality, friendship....

Or solidary has any other meaning in english that I don´t know?? LOL

You mean there is a feeling of solidarity among your people ?

We don't actually have the word 'solidary'.

Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:17 pm

Spanish_Eyes wrote:For the ones whining: If the US treated so well the native americans, how is it possible that just 0,8% of the population has that origin?

The only one I see whining is you.

Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:11 am

news reports (11/14/05)
that French President Jacque (wimp) Chirac is FINALLY
going to do something about the rioting and destruction in his country.

He's [I quote] going to investigate the discrimination that caused the riots to begin with.

--- :roll:

he's not going to hold the arrested muslim rioters accountable for their criminal actions and violence...? ? ?

but pursue whoever allegedly offended them to begin with ?

-- the born and bred French citizens ?

:?:

Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:47 pm

Graceland Gardener wrote:news reports (11/14/05)

He's [I quote] going to investigate the discrimination that caused the riots to begin with.

he's not going to hold the arrested muslim rioters accountable for their criminal actions and violence...? ? ?

Do you think people are rioting because they are muslim or because they're poor? Are al rioters muslims?

Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:27 pm

Spanish_Eyes wrote:
Graceland Gardener wrote:news reports (11/14/05)

Do you think people are rioting because they are muslim or because they're poor? Are al rioters muslims?

Here in Rotterdam the past couple of days several cars were set on fire or damaged while the 12-14 year old's shouted the holy war had begun.
Do you think they were poor or muslims?
Believe me, in The Netherlands the welfare system is quite good so they surely are not poor!

Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:00 pm

Renan wrote:
ColinB wrote:Renan -

You wrote:
...people here are very solidary...

You'll have to explain that one.

I mean people help each other a lot. Hospitality, friendship....

Or solidary has any other meaning in english that I don´t know?? LOL

Just seeing this now, but I think Renan means "solidarity," Colin. That is, the people live in solidarity as a common people in spite of their differences. Sounds like a credo we used to at least aspire to, as opposed to today's often divisive
multi-culturalism.

Recent pieces in the New York Times about Germany's excessive
belief in liberal multiculturalism have been quite a turnaround:

http://www.iht.com/articles/2005/12/02/news/islam7.php

Spanish Eyes, you raise a fair point about Native Americans / American Indians, but you wrongly assume they were merely slaughtered or were even one uniform entity as opposed to opposing, often warring tribes.
Your critique here is simplistic, nevermind discounting of the sad clash of civilizations it truly was.

The record of Europeans in the "new world" (and that's what they were) is indeed shameful in terms of broken treaties, naked land grabs, etc. but it's been shown that their lack of immunities to European diseases acounting for a huge deal of their "disappearance."

This is more like it:
Europeans also brought diseases against which the Native Americans had no immunity. Chicken pox and measles, though common and rarely fatal among Europeans, often proved fatal to Native Americans, and more dangerous diseases such as smallpox were especially deadly to Native American populations. It is difficult to estimate the total percentage of the Native American population killed by these diseases. Epidemics often immediately followed European exploration, sometimes destroying entire villages. Some historians estimate that up to 80% of some Native populations may have died due to European diseases. For more information, see population history of American indigenous peoples.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_Ame ... ted_States

And yes, intermarriage, as Gardener and Pete points out (or even Elvis' blood line) is also to be accounted for. For decades, many "white" and "black" people in the U.S. hid their American Indian blood lines -and that goes for Elvis' family -and mine too.

Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:45 am

Yeah, I saw that in the news today and was quite surprised.

On second thought, I was not. Tribalism is not something we'll ever totally do away with. We can mitigate it and even "evolve" but those who think immigration and demographic change will have no bumps are way too romantic about the human condition in human history. I'm starting
to wonder about how we will ever integrate Arabs and Muslims into Western society. Is it all big bad white racism or is it a two-way street?
We certainly like the cheap labor - or some do anyway.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10430528/

Australian racial violence spills into 2nd night
Riot at Sydney beach leads to sporadic attacks in city’s suburbs

Tensions between youths of Arabic and Middle Eastern descent and white Australians have been rising in recent years, fueled by the Sept. 11 attacks in the United States and deadly bombings on Bali that killed 202 people, including 88 Australians.

Many Muslims also were angered over Howard’s decision to contribute troops to the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq in 2003.