Off Topic Messages

What are you watching (TV)?

Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:16 pm

what are you watching this season, on reruns, tv on dvds, etc...???

on tv this season i'm hardcore w/:
Bones

i would like to watch:
Smallville

i happen to watch a lot of:
I Love The 70s / 80s (original, part deux, 3d) / 90s

casually:
I Dream Of Jeannie
Bewitched
I Love Lucy
etc...

tv on dvds--the only ones i have on dvd, and i'm definitely hardcore:
Angel: the Series
Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:37 pm

This year, I've been watching "Lost", "Six Feet Under" and "Nip/Tuck" on TV. They are all very good, altough I think "Lost" kind of lost it (hihi) after the first season. This second season is not as good as the first one. "Nip/Tuck", on the other hand, got much better with the second season which I'm watching now.

As for DVD's, I've bought "Miami Vice", "Cheers" and "Homicide" box-sets this year. I used to watch "Homicide" every week when it first aired a couple of years back and it's a pleasure to re-visit that one! Very underrated. I was too young for "Cheers" (this is the first season, from the early '80s). I bought it because people were talking so much about it. Pretty fun. And "Miami Vice" - well, what can I say? Sonny Crockett is the coolest cop ever. Gotta love those clothes!

Apart from this I've been watching football like a maniac. :oops:

Keith Richards, Jr.

Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:05 pm

I don't watch TV except for the news and baseball games.
The only TV shows I watch are on DVD. I buy many box sets and I rent many others. For me, I love watching a whole season of episodes over several days time. No commercials, I can get into the plots and characters easier and I can pause whenever I need to.
I stopped watching regular TV several years ago and I found this a much better way to do it. I hate commercials and I also hate waiting another week or two or three for another "new" episode.
The more recent shows that I've been watching on DVD are:

Smallville
CSI
Gilmore Girls
Law And Order
Everwood (where is season 2?)

I've also got in my Netflix queue "Lost" and "House M.D.".

I'm sure I'm missing some good ones but I try to do research for programs I would like. I like something with some depth, moral issues and good characters.

jeff R

Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:25 pm

Can't get enough of "Cheers" and "Frasier" complete season's DVD's !!!

Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:25 am

News, news, news. I am a news junkie. Local, regional, national, world. Doesn't matter...I need to know what's happening even if I can't do anything about it.

When I do have time for fun, though, I am catching -

24
Rome (fantastic)
Deadwood
2 1/2 Men
King Of Queens

Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:49 am

My three favourite shows right now are The West Wing, Medium and Lost. The West Wing is a perennial favourite.

Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:18 am

EagleUSA wrote:News, news, news. I am a news junkie. Local, regional, national, world. Doesn't matter...I need to know what's happening even if I can't do anything about it.


Same here. Usually Fox News or MSNBC. I occasionally enjoy programming on A&E, Discovery and The History Channel.

Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:25 am

Rob wrote: Same here. Usually Fox News or MSNBC. I occasionally enjoy programming on A&E, Discovery and The History Channel.


Same here, Hardball, O'Reilly, Countdown, Scarborough,
and documentaries on WWII, JFK, Old West, NASA history,
and BAND OF BROTHERS - great series
plus TV Land, those classic old shows never fail to entertain.
nyuk Three Stooges on Spike!

a recent History channel show about fast cars had - get this - Burt Reynolds in the driver seat of the original "Bandit" Trans Am. He and the host took a spin around a racetrack.

Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:05 am

I work alot, but when I do have time to enjoy TV and not the internet, I watch Larry David's Curb Your Enthusiasm...

I jus started to catch a few episodes of ROME, but I hear The Sopranos are coming back to HBO in January so that'll be a must for me... 8)


oh, and I watch a ton of the WEATHER CHANNEL... :shock:

Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:38 am

i have to say that my absolute favorite show is angel: the series. it's actually quite better than the mother show--imo. though the mother show (yes, buffy the vampire slayer--you have to be smart enough to get the joke--it's a parody of the kitsch horror genre that watches like a big fat depressing greek tragedy...the title was made that corny ON PURPOSE!).

the characters are extremely memorable--and contrary to probably popular opinion, buffy is far from the favorite character. from what i've seen, spike and angel probably get the most attention. spike is very much the fonz--and love's bitch. and angel is like odysseus. they are anti-heroes. some great father/son and redemption plots on ats with angel.

one thing about btvs and ats is they are best viewed on dvd, because the plots are frequently season long, and actually with ats in particular, i'd say the whole 5 seasons watch best in order all together or you miss a lot if you miss even one episode.

which is why i like it so much, because it takes some brainpower. it's pretty damn smartly written as well. one of the smartest written shows i've ever seen. the average person really won't get a lot of the referrences. heard a joke about lady hamilton's virtue lately? as i said--you will need google handy. there's a few oedipus jokes that are absolutely hysterical...especially when it's said by angelus playing mental games.

the wordplay in btvs and joss shows have had books written just on that.

"god! what's your childhood trauma?!"

"he said something about kissing toast, or maybe it was taquitos?" "kakistos?"

and then the ever-so-vague riddles of faith-- "little miss muffet counting down from 7-3-0" (actually foretells the coming of buffy's sister dawn 2 seasons before it happens--365+365=730) and the often said--"five by five".

this is the kind of stuff that made btvs famous.

and btw, it really isn't a teen show. and angel really is a show about life as a young adult with responsibilities...and well, a lot of past actions biting you in your "respective ass-i".


smallville is honestly slightly a LITE rip-off of btvs. still good though. but the plots and dialog of joss' shows are superior by far, and i've watched quite a bit of smallville. they focus on the creature of the week too much, whereas btvs quickly moved past that, and ats had even less stand-alone episodes.

speaking of smallville, james marsters (aka spike) is brainiac this season.

but yeah...i had to advertise it. ;)

when i was younger i religiously used to watch a show called are you afraid of the dark?...i watched the goosebumps series too. i didn't watch tales of the crypt because the crypt keeper dude scared the bejeezus out of me. still does. :oops:

memories. :wink:
Last edited by Elvis' Babe on Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:10 pm

I watch Startrek Enterprise, Stargate, C.S.I. and the news.
Otherwise I work behind the PC from which I only take a break to watch The nanny.

Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:58 pm

I forgot about Stargate SG-1. I bought all 8 seasons. I haven't watched season 8 yet but soon.

About Buffy and Angel. I have owned and watched every episode. I did enjoy it at once but I also got tired of it. It did have suspense, humor and some interesting characters. But it was also very immoral. One of the most immoral shows I've ever watched on TV. When I see that or feel that I quit watching. Those two shows always made me feel strange and uneasy after watching them. My wife quit earlier than I did. She felt the same way. We do miss some of the characters but if Whedon would have at least atmitted there was Christianity in the world and not just dismissing it, it could have had more fans. Plus he just couldn't keep away for all the lesbian stuff. He had to find ways to show them on TV and make it explicit. Have I mentioned that these shows are immoral?
After I finished watching Buffy and Angel I realised what a really sick show this was. I knew I'd never watch it again so all the money I spent buying the box sets and then turning around and selling them on Ebay. I got about a third of the money back and I did get to watch them all.

With so much TV, it's good that we do have a choice and I've made mine.

jeff R

Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:29 pm

CSI-Vegas
CS1-Miami

Law&Order- all of them, special victims unit being our favorite, (wife and I)
48 hours
Cold Case
City Confidential

Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:17 pm

I'm addicted to "Trailer Park Boys" on Paramount Comedy at the moment. There seems to be a DVD release for Canada and the US but no European plans at the moment.

If anyone hears of a region 2 release be sure to let me know!

Geoff

Sat Nov 05, 2005 4:41 am

jeffreyjames wrote:About Buffy and Angel. I have owned and watched every episode. I did enjoy it at once but I also got tired of it. It did have suspense, humor and some interesting characters. But it was also very immoral. One of the most immoral shows I've ever watched on TV. When I see that or feel that I quit watching. Those two shows always made me feel strange and uneasy after watching them. My wife quit earlier than I did. She felt the same way. We do miss some of the characters but if Whedon would have at least atmitted there was Christianity in the world and not just dismissing it, it could have had more fans. Plus he just couldn't keep away for all the lesbian stuff. He had to find ways to show them on TV and make it explicit. Have I mentioned that these shows are immoral?
After I finished watching Buffy and Angel I realised what a really sick show this was. I knew I'd never watch it again so all the money I spent buying the box sets and then turning around and selling them on Ebay. I got about a third of the money back and I did get to watch them all.


the redemption theme in angel verges on religious several times. same with spike's--in fact in beneath you he says "it's what *YOU* wanted right?" and looks up at the ceiling. also wesley's judas iscariot role--which lilah actually brings wes a copy of dante's inferno.

and later the judas reference is referenced with wesley again when he is about to regain his memories of his betrayal after angel had connor's existance mind-wiped because connor was psychotic. he says "is this your 30 pieces of silver?" when wes finds out that angel is hiding something--not knowing that bringing back the past brings back wesley's betrayal and may turn connor psychotic again after giving him a healthy life with a real family--yet another selfless sacrifice of angel's.

i think it speaks pretty heavily when a 400 year old whore/vampire/human again/vampire, is able to find redemption and sacrifices herself--the whole connor thing. it says that anybody can find redemption, but it involves sacrifices.

and the shanshu thing stands for the light at the end of the tunnel--yet you'll note it is never gotten in the series.

also note the heavy apocalyptic revelations-themed episode apocalypse, nowish used multiple heavy religious-themed things happening all over town--much like ghostbusters. and i can't help but think of the bible when the sun gets blocked out in season 4 ats.

the jossverse definition of apocalypse and the last of days type stuff is all very biblically-based. entropy and degradation. think back to holland manner's speech about humanity in reprise, and lindsey's similar reprisal of the basic elements of holland's speech in not fade away.

things are very gray in the jossverse. admittedly if you are looking for bad guy vs. good guy...you aren't going to find it, because you are going to end up here with essentially gray guy vs. gray guy. nobody knows if the POWERS THAT BE (this is the stand-in for god) are good or bad--especially with jasmine thrown in the mix--the one that offered world peace at the expense of a slave state of shiny happy people. and then you have wolfram & hart, who nobody quite yet knows what their deal is. it's very murky--but is life all black and white?

"no matter how much white you try to put back in, all you'll get is gray." --lilah

if you'll note how many times angel and spike make it very clear that no matter how much good they try to do to make up for the past, they are both going to hell. watch hellbound. it's all about that. in fact, the saddest part of the wesley/fred story is that illyria tells wesley that they are going to be together while he's dying, but fred's soul was destroyed resurrecting illyria and wesley may be going to hell for being the betrayer.

for a creator who is atheist--yes whedon is--there is a helluva lot of religious stuff in it, and some of the writers clearly must be religious. the dialog is strudled with religious quotes and comments about many religious views on morality. in fact, the show stands by many of them.

the show definitely uses more christian iconography than vampire mythologies like anne rice, for example. i think spike draping himself over a cross letting it burn him, or angel's fear of god, or angelus' use of christian mythology to spite god (a large part of his cruelty--think somnambulist and the making of drusilla), etc... show that the show is really based on christianity as a base, albeit the darker side.

so you are wrong that the show won't admit a god. for what is shown in the show, at least angel and spike seem to be concerned with it. in fact, it's almost like angel's struggle seems to be concerned with being worthy in the eyes of god--he doesn't want to be damned.

i think you are dwindling too long on the fact that the mythology has the demons on earth before the humans (star wars has it's own brand of origin mythology too!), and buffy's comment about saint's fingers being commonly found in reliquaries being "note: religion, creepy".

you don't whine about using magic=evil in harry potter, do you?...because those people really bug me. it's imagination.

and as far as killing, magic abuse by meddling with the natural order of things and messing with free-will, betrayal, revenge is wrong, ...etc... all that has consequences. in fact the consequences on the show are STEEP.

i don't get what you mean by ammoral, because of the fact that every action gets steep consequences. ammoral actions are NEVER glorified in the show.

as far as the lesbian thing...yeah. i'm not pro-gay rights by any stretch, and i could have done without it (i preferred oz, but tara was definitely not in your face). fact is, i can count on one hand how many times the willow/tara thing was pushed--you hardly saw them even kiss. it showed a lot less than every other relationship. now kennedy was the gay character i took offense to, but season 7 had a lot more things wrong with it--for example too many potentials and feminism. until then it really had it pushed back.

and angel, btw, is one of the most pro-masculine shows out there. the biggest theme was redemption followed by family, fathers and sons, etc... you'll note how many times they emphasize parent and children problems in all the characters (tavern drunk liam and his father, angel and connor, wesley and his vindictive dad, cordy's non-existant parents in jail for tax evasion, etc...). and to counter it, they have fred and her loving, supportive parents roger and trish burkle.

it doesn't make me feel uneasy but i must say--it is very very dark--it mirrors a greek tragedy (oh, like they weren't totally immoral either). the morals are upheld because there is always a consequence for every action. the show is pretty pessimistic actually and punishes everybody for everything. and they usually wait for the characters to find a happy moment for the ball to drop--which is the greek tragedy formula.

my parents watched it and truly enjoyed it. in fact, my uber-religious brother came in while we were all watching it, and he got hooked so we ended up watching 5 episodes that night (early ats season 5).

so the thing is--if there's people who whine about harry potter, i'm sure btvs and ats really aren't on their hit-parade. but if you like epic storytelling--it's awesome. and i'm far from the only person that thinks so. and i'm republican btw, and i have met actually a few conservatives, not even young ones, that appreciate it. so as far as high moral ground bashing--blah.

writing this just made me love it more.
Last edited by Elvis' Babe on Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Nov 05, 2005 5:48 am

Rob wrote:
EagleUSA wrote:News, news, news. I am a news junkie. Local, regional, national, world. Doesn't matter...I need to know what's happening even if I can't do anything about it.


Same here. Usually Fox News or MSNBC. I occasionally enjoy programming on A&E, Discovery and The History Channel.



Yeah, that's my speed, too. Toss in a few hundred episodes of M*A*S*H, and that covers my viewing habits pretty well!

Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:47 pm

My shows are:

Smallville
According to Jim
Extreme Makeover-Home Edition
Desparate Housewives
Soprano Repeats (I thought they were coming back in March, is it really January??)

Honorable mention - The Three Stooges - ON-DEMAND (what? I can watch the 3 Stooges, ANYTIME I want to? Must've died and gone to heaven :wink: )

QUESTION:

What the hell happened to FEAR FACTOR? I loved that show - where are the new episodes??

Rich

Sat Nov 05, 2005 7:17 pm

according to jim is a show i've watched occasionally. i was really excited when jim had dan aykroyd and laraine newman on the show that one time.

Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:59 am

Prison Break
Lost
Desparate Housewives
Smallville
CSI: Miami
Law & Order, especially SVU

also Special Report w/ Brit Hume

Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:34 am

Eagle, Rob, KHoots - I watch the same things, but not by choice. My husband controls the remote!!! I don't even know what the series are about (West Wing, Desperate Housewives, Lost... Well, I don't even know the names of them). Just news, news, news, documentaries, documentaries, documentaries, and some music specials (like the Beach Boys; the Guess Who; Tracy Chapman; Elvis? -sometimes)
sue

Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:04 am

Well, we were just watching football. Did you hear what Payton Manning just said about Elvis???
sue

But now he turned it to a war documentary!! Do you people jump around like this all over the channels???

Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:17 am

Hmmmm-mmmm, Carolyn...... Now that's an idea!! LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:
sue

Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:02 am

Guys - Take heed of what Carolyn is saying!! Don't make us do drastic things! :lol: :lol:
sue