Off Topic Messages

Technical Query with DVD's.

Sun Oct 30, 2005 1:26 pm

You know you get these 'enhanced' singles these days.

Two or three audio tracks plus a video track.

Trouble is, when you put them in the CD player [or even the DVD player] you only get access to the audio bits !

To see the video, you have to play the disc in a computer drive.

Well, my daughter visited her grandparents the other day.

They are in their eighties.

To keep the kids amused Grandma popped the Peter Kay/Tony Christie 'Amarillo' disc in the DVD player, and up popped a menu, she selected the video and played it through the tv !

As soon as my daughter got home, she rushed to play her version, but no, only playable on the computer !

What gives ?

I'm at a loss !

Sun Oct 30, 2005 2:34 pm

Colin

Secretly exchange the DVD players.

As the grandparents are over 60 they won't notice the difference.

Sun Oct 30, 2005 2:57 pm

Torben, yes they will...I would:-)

Sun Oct 30, 2005 3:03 pm

Torben -

I'm trying to be serious for once !

I know there are DVD players which can handle MP3 audio, but I didn't know there were ones which could handle these 'CD-ROM' video files too !

And the chances of a couple in their eighties having one are even less !

Sun Oct 30, 2005 3:13 pm

Colin

you wrote:I'm trying to be serious for once !

Sorry, I didn't expect that.

I've never come across a DVD player that plays video files. This is absolutely new to me. Mine definitely don't.

Do you know the file type of the video on the disc? I'm just curious.

Sun Oct 30, 2005 3:29 pm

Torben -

Well, it's just that 'Amarillo' hit, thousands of people own it !

I don't know what type of file it is.

Sun Oct 30, 2005 3:45 pm

WINDOWS: Double click on the "My Computer" icon. Double click your CD-ROM drive. Double click on the the correct program. Note: Usually, with Enhanced CD's the correct program will be called "StartPC.exe" or just "Start.exe". If you have trouble, double click on the "ReadMe.txt" file for instructions specific to your specific CD.

Can't read the CD?

Give it time. Some CD-ROMs take some time to mount. You may need the right CD-ROM driver to read multi-session discs. You may need to contact your manufacturer and see if there are any updates for your drive.

To view videos, you may need Quicktime 4.0 or higher (usually included on disc)

Any computer using OS/2, Unix, Amiga, or Windows NT won't be able to view content of an enhanced CD.

Sun Oct 30, 2005 3:47 pm

Hi Colin

There's no real mystery here, the Amarillo single came in two versions.

One is a DVD which plays on DVD players and the other is an enhanced CD which has a "Quicktime" PC playable video track which isn't recognised by DVD players.

I only know this 'cause I had to buy the damn thing twice! (Well it was for charity)

Hope this clears things up.

Best wishes

Geoff

Sun Oct 30, 2005 4:26 pm

Geoff -

Thanks !

That's what I needed to know !

So why don't they make all 'enhanced' singles playable in DVD players ?

That's where most people play them !

I mean, computers don't enter into it, do they ?

[or shouldn't]

Sun Oct 30, 2005 5:46 pm

Colin,

It depends on what you enhance the disc with. As you know, videos come in a variety of formats, and newer players are capable of playing a greater variety of file-types than older DVD players. If an enhanced disc has a video in MPEG format, for example, you'll definitely be able to play the disc on a computer, as well as any DVD player that can play such files. Far fewer DVD players (that I know of) can play Quicktime (.mov) files, so that explains your particular example. Remember the "America the Beautiful" single for charity from 2001? It contains the "If I Can Dream" video in MPEG format, so it might be compatible with (all or some of) your family's DVD players. Give it a shot!

Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:20 pm

Peter -

I think Geoff has answered it.

But I did try to play the Elvis charity single in my DVD player but audio only !

One day we'll all have an integrated system.

HDTV - Video - DVD - CD - Computer - Come-what-may !

Perhaps even in my lifetime !

On a connected note, I see those on BT Broadband with 2 MBS are to be upped to 8 MBS.

This means it's capable of streamed live tv !

Just think, no need for cable, freeview boxes, satellite dishes or even aerials !

Perfect, digital tv progs down the phone line !

And everybody has a phone line, don't they ?

Don't know how you subscribe to it, but it sounds OK to me !

Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:46 am

Torben wrote:Colin

Secretly exchange the DVD players.

As the grandparents are over 60 they won't notice the difference.

:lol: good one!

Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:59 am

Colin,

This 8mbps is a bit old fashioned compared to some other parts of Europe who have been enjoying 20mbps for a little while now.(As usual the UK is the dumping ground for the older unwanted Broadband 2mbps modems)

Streaming TV will be a media advertisers dream with cookies swapping info on what adverts your PC has played and what products you paused or captured info on, in order that you can be "targetted" more aptly with future product info.

When 20mbps becomes the norm being able to download a complete DVD in 4 minutes will be a further step to never having to leave your house, then again you won't need to dopwnload it, just watch it from a remote server whenever you choose.

Another excuse for "pay-2-view" is what it will turn into :lol:

Anyway, don't worry about swapping DVD recorders, take their DVD player and give them a toaster in place of it. Then post on here when they manage to get that to play the video file! :lol:

Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:49 am

Steve -

You wrote:
Anyway, don't worry about swapping DVD recorders, take their DVD player and give them a toaster in place of it. Then post on here when they manage to get that to play the video file!

Seems it was the disc anyway, not the player !

Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:09 am

Colin

you wrote:Seems it was the disc anyway, not the player !

You know what to do then, don't you?

Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:44 pm

Torben wrote:Colin

you wrote:Seems it was the disc anyway, not the player !

You know what to do then, don't you?

Even though they are my ex-mother-&-father-in-law, I wouldn't want to be that sneaky !