Off Topic Messages

Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:06 pm

there's too many people immigrating to the US
at least we don't have to worrry about Luuk being one of them

Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:06 pm

elvissessions.com wrote:
I got more news for you: I don't even want to be found dead in the USA!


Strange, though, that about 1.2 million people choose just that every year, deciding to immigrate to our nation -- with about 500,000 people a year choosing to become citizens as well as residents.

Even stranger: That number even includes a fair number of people from the Netherlands.

Just since 1840, more than 220 million people have applied to immigrate to the United States. That of course doesn't count the many millions who have entered illegally.

I realize numbers like that must be staggering to someone from a nation with fewer than 17 million people, but you have to understand there are places people actually want to move to -- not from.


In the meantime inhabitants of our 200x300 kilometers large country grew from 12.000.000 to 16.000.000 meaning 4.000.000 additional people wanted to live in this small corner of the world. Included are several Americans.

Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:58 pm

Eagle, you're chest-beating seems a bit unnecessary.
I agree with Colin's comment -and also think Luuk should
speak his mind. (And as one of many Americans who descend from
European stock originally, please do stay in Holland -
if only because I'd rather Holland not turn into "Eurabia"
which some fear is
already happening.
Between the murder of Theo Van Gogh by a Muslim zealot
and now that nice Muslim riot
in the Paris suburbs, we need you to stand tall for the West :!:

And besides, it's not like the USA doesn't effect Europe
economically. Our rather puny benefits for workers here
(GM's Delphi is about to demand a huge pay cut for autoworkers)
has European car makers prepared to do the same. The US
actually is putting pressure on hard-won benefits for most
working people. Time was, we led the way upward.

I say this as a "patriot" but let's not pretend our country is perfect.
Besides, criticism can be good for ya... :D

Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:27 pm

(Beats chest) :lol:

All I can say is... 20 Million Illegal Immigrants Can't Be Wrong.

Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:14 pm

Audifon Label wrote:No one here better start a fight with me over President Bush.
I love Bush.
Audifon


Hey look everyone, Geno's back. :roll:

Tom

PS
Luuk wrote:I got news for you...... since the USA occupied Iraq more people died than under Saddam Hussein's reign.


What an utterly ludicrous and uninformed statement.

Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:55 pm

Luuk wrote:
By the way, Rosa Parks died last week. It was only 50 years ago human rights in the USA were violated against Americans who have a dark skin!


And it was only around 15 years ago that the leaders in south Africa began to bring an end to apartheid - the white separatist movement by those of predominantly Dutch ancestry.

Luuk wrote:I got more news for you: I don't even want to be found dead in the USA!
(if we dislike something very much, we say we don't even want to be found dead there)


And I got some news for you: you should be genuinely concerned about being found dead in your own country, given the recent problems Holland, bastion of enlightened liberalism, has had with muslim extremists.

Sat Nov 05, 2005 5:54 am

Keep on talking, Luuk. Your comments are quite entertaining to the pile of friends I have over here tonight--in the good ole USA!

Re: Will Libby Get Our President In Trouble?

Sat Nov 05, 2005 8:13 am

Audifon Label wrote:I like President Bush, but the latest news makes me worry people will think he's another Nixon


Bush is not directly linked to this as Nixon was to Watergate. It is a totally different situation. However, even with Nixon resigning from office in 1974, he had a higher approval rating that Bush's current 37%.

I'm not a "Bush basher" by any means. I'd vote for him over John Kerry again any day (which is not saying much.) However, with three more years in office, how much lower could his approval rating possibly go? There have been Presidents that have been assassinated that have had much higher approval ratings and that fact concerns me every time I see Bush speaking in public.

It's time for George W. to start making some changes. Bringing our men and women home from Iraq would be a nice place to start.

Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:52 pm

silver wrote:
BTW, whatever happened to DJC? I miss him!!


Yeah........I miss him too. Hopefully my aim improves.

Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:38 pm

Pete Dube wrote:
Luuk wrote:
By the way, Rosa Parks died last week. It was only 50 years ago human rights in the USA were violated against Americans who have a dark skin!


And it was only around 15 years ago that the leaders in south Africa began to bring an end to apartheid - the white separatist movement by those of predominantly Dutch ancestry.

Luuk wrote:I got more news for you: I don't even want to be found dead in the USA!
(if we dislike something very much, we say we don't even want to be found dead there)


And I got some news for you: you should be genuinely concerned about being found dead in your own country, given the recent problems Holland, bastion of enlightened liberalism, has had with muslim extremists.


The Dutch secret service is quite good in getting the muslim extremists off the streets! I am more worried about Elvis fans that threaten people with whom they disagree! :roll: I got more threats from Elvis fans than muslim terrorists. :shock:
Even the kids here on the streets at night are not as dangerous as some Elvis fans!

As for the apartheid in South Africa because of many people originate from The Netherlands, all I can say is that when I was a kid, my father got offered a job there. The guy offering him the job said "you don't have to do much, the blacks (the man's words, not mine!) do all the work but do not pay them much as they get drunk whenever you givet hem money".
That was reason enough for my father to decline the offer for good money! He was rather poor than racist.
To avoid more misunderstandings and to avoid people twisting my words: I had a great childhood.

Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:41 pm

Graceland Gardener wrote:there's too many people immigrating to the US
at least we don't have to worrry about Luuk being one of them


I don't even go there for my holidays!
Now Great-Britain, that's another story. I go there whenever I can.

Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:51 pm

The Dutch secret service is quite good in getting the muslim extremists off the streets!


Is this the same Dutch secret service that admitted a year ago it had been infiltrated by an Islamic extremist linked to the killer of Theo van Gogh?

The same secret service that ended surveillance of that killer less than two weeks before van Gogh was stabbed to death on the street in 2002?

Now come on, who are you trying to kid? Us or yourself?

Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:59 pm

elvissessions.com wrote:
The Dutch secret service is quite good in getting the muslim extremists off the streets!


Is this the same Dutch secret service that admitted a year ago it had been infiltrated by an Islamic extremist linked to the killer of Theo van Gogh?

The same secret service that ended surveillance of that killer less than two weeks before van Gogh was stabbed to death on the street in 2002?

Now come on, who are you trying to kid? Us or yourself?


The same secret service that prevented several attacks.
The same secret service that got several terrorists off the streets who planned to shoot an El Al plane out of the air, kill some politicians and attack some buildings.
Did I ever say the secret service is perfect?
If secret service people knew everything that is going to happen, they would have prevented 9/11 or 3/11 in Spain or 7/7 in London.

Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:56 pm

Luuk -
If you're receiving threats via pm that's a matter you should bring to the attention of the FECC team.

The purpose of my post to you was to illustrate the double standard you hold by criticizing my country for things your own country is guilty of.

You say that you wouldn't want to be found dead in the U.S. We have a similar expression, that we 'wouldn't be caught dead.' It means the same thing. In any event I'm sorry you feel this way about the U.S. I'd love to visit Holland or the Netherlands or Never Land or whatever it is you call it. :wink:

Your views on the U.S. are probably based on what you've been spoon-fed from the left-leaning, liberal-to-a-fault Euro media. Like they say in the music business 'junk in, junk out!'

Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:19 pm

Pete, I do not receive threats here.
Usually it is on AEK, which is not moderated.

I think shows like Jerry Springer and Ricki Lake and several posters on AEK and the occasional one here on FECC give us Europeans a not too good image of Americans.
Don't tell anybody but I have friends who are American! And they are great guys and gals.

Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:01 pm

Luuk -
I recall reading here that you often catch a bad time over a AEK. Please don't judge all U.S. fans based on what some of the AEK tough guy wanna be's do. I've glanced at that site a few times, and I 'wouldn't be found dead there!' :lol:

But if you were to visit the U.S. I believe your opinion of it would change. If you like the U.K. then you would like us, especially since, unlike the U.K. we speak a form of English that continental Europeans can actually understand! :lol:

Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:46 pm

Pete Dube wrote:Luuk -
I recall reading here that you often catch a bad time over a AEK. Please don't judge all U.S. fans based on what some of the AEK tough guy wanna be's do. I've glanced at that site a few times, and I 'wouldn't be found dead there!' :lol:

But if you were to visit the U.S. I believe your opinion of it would change. If you like the U.K. then you would like us, especially since, unlike the U.K. we speak a form of English that continental Europeans can actually understand! :lol:


I try to stay away from AEK but they keep mentioning my name and I "have" to react. I know, I shouldn't. :shock:

This month 35 years ago I met a lovely lady at an Elvis convention in Versailles (near Paris) and we have been friends ever since. I have no problem understanding British people. I have been there so many times I can't recall how many times I have been there. In fact when in London I showed people from other cities in Great-Britain the sights!

Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:22 am

Pete Dube wrote:If you're receiving threats via pm that's a matter you should bring to the attention of the FECC team.


If anyone is receiving threats, you should copy and paste for all to see. I've only received one small threat here but I (and the person who made the threat) knew he was just a blowhard.

I don't feel too threatened by someone talking trash on the computer. If someone wants to see me bad enough, I'll gladly give you an address to where I can be found.

However, you might want to bring some friends with you because my two buddies named Smith and Wesson will be with me.

We'll make you feel right at home with our southern hospitality. However, before you make the journey, you might want to let your next of kin know that you probably won't be coming home anytime soon.

Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:06 pm

Pete Dube wrote:
Your views on the U.S. are probably based on what you've been spoon-fed from the left-leaning, liberal-to-a-fault Euro media. Like they say in the music business 'junk in, junk out!'


Pete, I've watched the "Beeb" (BBC) on PBS lately. Surely they put
the USA's puny world coverage to shame.

And couldn't you say the same about the US media? Lots of celebs,
and a very pro-corporate bias, if liberal on social issues (exclude
FOX on that latter caveat..) :?:

As of last night, that Natalee Holiday (?) case in Aruba in inching
back into the news. :roll:

Let's face it, our fellow Americans don't know much about the world,
starting with geography.... :oops:

Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:26 am

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:
Pete, I've watched the "Beeb" (BBC) on PBS lately. Surely they put
the USA's puny world coverage to shame.


The BBC on PBS? 2 wrongs don't make a right Greg! (Just kidding.)

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:

And couldn't you say the same about the US media? Lots of celebs,
and a very pro-corporate bias, if liberal on social issues (exclude
FOX on that latter caveat..) :?:


I could say worse since the U.S. tv news media is less concerned with reporting the news than it is with garnering ratings.

Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:02 pm

Like I said, that's the corporatization of the news. Without
some public subsidy, the only answer is to "get on the pole"
for the advertizers. PBS and NPR have all but completely sold-out
with some exceptions.

"Don't offend the advertiser" is the credo.

For example, ABC and WAL-Mart are recently documented as being
totally in bed together on stories. :smt057