Survived............again (I hate hurricanes)

Off Topic Messages

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Scatter
Registered for: 19 years 10 months

Survived............again (I hate hurricanes)

Post by Scatter »

Well.......we made it through Wilma. It looks like a bomb went off in my town though. Widespread power outages........businesses, banks, gas stations either demolished, damaged, or closed due to lack of electricity.

3-4 hour waits for $20 maximum gasoline when you can find a gas station running a pump or two by generator.

Concrete light poles snapped in half 8-10 feet above pavement. Wooden telephone poles reduced to kindling, with a tangle of power lines strewn across the ground.

Pool screen rooms, roofs of homes, facades and walls of houses littering the roadside. We had another fatal car crash outside my community today due to the absence of traffic signals (and the ignorance and impatience of some who simply will not take due care, causing the senseless death of a young man).

I still have no power or telephone. I'm writing from my laptop at the office. My family is fine (Thank God), my house has now survived 4 hurricanes of Cat 3 or above in just 3 years..........so I'm happy with that.

My new pool and backyard fence are demolished. But it's much less than others have to contend with.

JEFF d
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by JEFF d »

I'm glad your OK, that would be a horrible thing to go through! You should move back to Tulsa, just tornados once and a while! lol :wink:

JEFF d
Elvis fan

JEFF d
EP fan

Elvis' Babe
Registered for: 20 years
Mood:

Post by Elvis' Babe »

move to so.cal and your house might only catch a dry season wildfire.

i'm glad you're ok.

geez...is mother nature trying to wipe out the south or what?

"Thank you very much. Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. Welcome to the big, freaky International Hotel. Those little weirdo dolls on the walls. And those little funky angels on the ceiling. Uh, this is my first live appearance in 9 years. H-uhh! Thank you. I've appeared dead a few times, but this is my first live appearance. Before the evening is up, I will have made a complete and total fool of myself, and I hope you get a kick out of watching it." --EP

Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Glad to hear everyone's okay Scatter.

Silver
R.I.P. February 10, 2006
Registered for: 19 years

Post by Silver »

Scatter - Elvis' Babe is right. Move to S. Calif. You are better off with the fires and earthquakes!! You and your family have been through an awful lot!! Glad you're okay, but it's really hard on you to have to put up with the fright so often!! Hope things go better for you and yours in the future!!
sue

You'll never, never know the one who loves you so. . .

R.I.P. 2-10-2006
In Memory Of A True Friend To All

The FECC Team

Luuk

Post by Luuk »

Scatter I'm glad you and your family are o.k.
The bad news is that more hurricanes are there to come. Alpha and Beta. Let's hope they transform to storms before hitting land.

Topic author
Scatter

Post by Scatter »

I missed you guys!!!! Thanks for all the good wishes........I appreciate them.

Sorry Babe........California is OUT!!!!!! Isn't Berkeley out there??? As long as it is, nature will get you too eventually because Nature abhors a vacuum......even intellectual vacuums :wink:

tupelo_boy

Post by tupelo_boy »

I shall stop complaining about the wet Manchester weather!

Glad you're ok, good luck and best wishes for the future.

Geoff

tupelo boy

If I could you know that I would fly away with you.

Head of The Harum Scarum Soundtrack Appreciation Society - Camp Classic Division

KHoots

Post by KHoots »

While we're tossing around new locations for Scatter, allow me to toss in beautiful upper Michigan! Plenty of room for everyone. We have never had a hurricane, earthquake or wildfire. We had one tornado five years ago, and I think only one prior to that in our history. You can also walk down the street at any time of day without fear of getting mugged.

It gets cold and snowy here, and you have to stomach obnoxious fans of the Green Bay Packers, but other than that, it's awesome! :D

Glad to hear you're hanging in there, Scatter...

Pete Dube

Post by Pete Dube »

Scatter -
Glad to hear that you and yours are ok.

MauriceinIreland

Post by MauriceinIreland »

Glad to hear everything is OK with you and yours.

How did Daytona beach area come out? I have a cousin and her family living there. We lost touch with them a few years ago.

EagleUSA

Post by EagleUSA »

Hey Scatter, glad to know you and the family are okay. Please know the thoughts & prayers of me and mine are with all of you.

Eagle

Melanie
Registered for: 19 years 6 months

Post by Melanie »

Glad to hear you made it through relatively unscattered.

jbgude
Registered for: 20 years 8 months

Post by jbgude »

Good luck Scatter...and all you other regularly in harms way:

I will never understand why the power companies in the southern states do not use underground electricity cabels insteas of wooden / concrete poles .....

sam

Post by sam »

Glad you survived again Scatter!!!

Everyone seems to be telling you where to go, so I'll throw my two bobs worth in. :D
If you're going to move make it a good move.
To Aussie land!!! Where the sun always shines and...
:wink:

8)

Rusty Martin*
Registered for: 20 years 1 month

Post by Rusty Martin* »

You cant keep a good Scatter down..thank goodness...glad to see you are still with us..you had us worried :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Topic author
Scatter

Post by Scatter »

KHoots wrote:While we're tossing around new locations for Scatter, allow me to toss in beautiful upper Michigan! Plenty of room for everyone. We have never had a hurricane, earthquake or wildfire. We had one tornado five years ago, and I think only one prior to that in our history. You can also walk down the street at any time of day without fear of getting mugged.

It gets cold and snowy here, and you have to stomach obnoxious fans of the Green Bay Packers, but other than that, it's awesome! :D

Glad to hear you're hanging in there, Scatter...
I must admit.........that sounds pretty good. And it seems you are in need of some representation for the Pittsburgh Steelers up there. Right up my alley!!!!! GO STEELERS!!!!!!

Topic author
Scatter

Post by Scatter »

MauriceinIreland wrote:Glad to hear everything is OK with you and yours.

Thanks Maurice.......I appreciate that.

How did Daytona beach area come out? I have a cousin and her family living there. We lost touch with them a few years ago.

Daytona didn't get hit too badly at all. My mom lives up in Fort Pierce (about an hour North of me) and she had just a little damage in the area. Daytona is about an hour North of Fort Pierce, so I imagine it was relatively spared.

Topic author
Scatter

Post by Scatter »

sam wrote:Glad you survived again Scatter!!!

Everyone seems to be telling you where to go, so I'll throw my two bobs worth in. :D
If you're going to move make it a good move.
To Aussie land!!! Where the sun always shines and...
:wink:

8)
I've always fancied that I'd fit right in "Down Under" SAM........after all, it was a penal colony, no??? :wink:

Topic author
Scatter

Post by Scatter »

jbgude wrote:Good luck Scatter...and all you other regularly in harms way:

I will never understand why the power companies in the southern states do not use underground electricity cabels insteas of wooden / concrete poles .....
They do for the newer developments jb.........my utilities are all underground, for example since the homes here are all less than 3 years old. The problem lies with the older neighborhoods who have always had the poles. Which connect to my underground utilities, unfortunately. :P

Florida Power and Light has always contended that to retrofit the older communities with underground utilities would be cost prohibitive. I wonder if their assessment has changed yet??? :lol:

Andy-M

Post by Andy-M »

Glad you survived again Scatter!
Hope all will be soon again better.
All the best to you and yours.

Topic author
Scatter

Post by Scatter »

Thanks again to all.......I didn't mean to sound so downbeat in my original post. The stress just gets wearying after a while.

But I have my family (whom I adore) and my home itself intact. I've always considered myself one of the most fortunate and Blessed people anywhere, and I still do. Spoiled rotten actually :lol: .

Still looking for a good place to move..........who's got a spare room??? With 3 beds(my 2 kids thrash about too much in their sleep to share a bed with anyone) :wink:

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Good to hear everyone is ok Scatter.