Off Topic Messages

Sun Oct 30, 2005 6:50 am

Say again, Sue? :oops:

jeff R

Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:04 am

Graceland Gardener wrote:How about Billy The Kid VS Dracula.

:wink:

anyone remember the name of the dinosaur movie (1950s/60s) in which a dinosaur and a caveman are unearthed. The caveman snoops around a kitchen at the dig site.

GG -
It's called Dinosaurus! There was a friendly brontosaurus, a T-rex, and a neanderthal man. At the end the hero fights the T-rex with some kind of heavy-duty construction machine. I loved that movie when I was a kid!

Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:57 am

That's it Pete. I haven't seen that in years.

there's a tv commercial running nowadays -
get 50 Horror Classics on a dvd set for $19.99

-- AMC is doing their scary marathon all week/wekend
but it's the same films repeated over and over and over!
Tremors about 5 times, Jason V twice tonight alone.

It Came From beneath The Sea was on at 4am the other day,
and a 1958 Jack The Ripper flick got the am slot.

The oldies they stick on in the wee hours

Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:42 am

Try to stay away from those 20-50 film boxed sets. Usually the quality of the prints is very poor and there is pixilation. Sometimes, there are some decent quality prints and a few movies like "White Zombie" are only available in the PD format at this time. So, navigate with care and make sure you don't spend too much money. Of course even a dollar is too expensive if the movies are unwatchable. "Horror Hotel", "Bucket of Blood" and "I Bury the Living" seem to be pretty solid when they pop up in PD packages.

Pete- You should watch "The Black Cat". It's a very powerful and existential movie that is as much a war protest as it is a horror movie. Both the Lugosi and Karloff characters have had their humanity killed by WWI. Lugosi is a man that lives solely for revenge. Karloff has allowed every strip of good to be pulled away and lives only for sensual pleasure. But pleasure is a strong word.

The whole movie takes place in castle built on the site of a WWI massacre. It's very rare in that Universal movie addresses the real world in this way.

The heroic leads are pedestrian but Karloff and Lugosi are in fine form with maybe the deepest relationship that they had with one another in any movie. It's worth watching multiple times also for the set design alone. It was ahead of its time in subject matter and in symbolism. In one scene Karloff and Lugosi play a game of chess for a girl's life.

Although I agree that the original "Mummy" is so slow but I think it's worth the effort as it's a very rewarding movie. Karloff plays one of his deepest characters. His Im Ho Tep is not an evil man. He is a man so consumed with his passion and the injustice heaped upon him that he is no longer burdened with any morality. Plus, he's a character dragged out of his time. He's simply had enough. It's a rich character. Then there's the romantic aspect of the story which is equally as compelling. The woman really is the reincarnation of Karloff's great love and even in the present day recognizes that fact.

There are many great elements and scenes. There is of course Karloff's awakening from the grave at the beginning of the film. But there's also the wonderful dreamlike scenes whenever Karloff whips up that hypnotic pool. To me the flashback scene where they are wrapping Karloff in the rags is genuinely chilling thanks to Karloff because there is real terror in his face. For all it's creakiness, it's worth the effort.

Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:05 am

MauriceinIreland wrote:One night in bed, I was reading Bram Stoker's "Dracula" to my younger brother I was about 13 years old. I had just reached a passage where the Vampire was approaching it's victim when there was a loud thud against the first floor bedroom window.

Two brave boys were under the bed clothes in a flash!

A little later I plucked up courage and looked out past the curtains and there was a large Moth fluttering on the window..............whew:-)

There is a Bram Stoker "Dracula" museum in Dublin here in Ireland. We really must go. Link to it Below.

http://www.visitdublin.com/museums/detail.asp?ID=1537

I went through something similar Maurice............a great book. I may have to try to find a copy and see if it still has the same effect on me. Fortunately..........if it does.........my wife won't kick me out of bed when I get scared the way my brother did :lol:

Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:10 am

Pete Dube wrote:GG-
The headpiece of my costume is made from the first mask in your post. I cut out below the brow ridge, around the ears, and at the sides of the nose. I also cut out the chin and the neck bolts. I've been gluing black hair to the headpiece in stages. Im going to add poly foam to the inside of the headpiece so it will hold it's shape. I've coated the headpiece with a product called Horror make-up which, when dry, has a wrinkled texture. I'll also apply this product to my face so everything will blend in.
This is going to be a great costume!

Pete..........you've GOT to post a pic here of you in the finished costume!!!!! PLEASE!!!!! I'm certain all we horror fanatics would love to see it!!!!!

BTW.......does anyone remember Hammer's "Theatre of Blood" with Vincent Price, or "Who Slew Auntie Roo" with Shelly Winters???

Great flicks!!!!! Price is magnetic in "Blood". I loved this film. And Winters' manic portrayal in "Roo" has to be one of her best roles.

I used to see all these movies by sneaking OUT of the yard at night (My brothers and I almost always slept outside in a tent or just in a sleeping bag in the yard during the summer) and sneaking INTO the Lakeside DriveIn. We had cut a hole in the chain link fence surrounding the drive-in lot where it bordered the woods we lived by.

We could squeeze through the hole unseen and stroll casually up to the playground which was situated below and directly in front of the big outdoor screen. We would then position ourselves (my cousin Kevin and I) either on the swingset or lying on the slide facing the screen and settle in for the movie (usually a double feature, though we seldom stayed for both in case our parents discovered we were gone).

The cars behind us were close enough so we could hear the dialogue from all the speakers mounted on the driver's side windows.

We saw a lot of schlocky, campy, and some downright SCARY films that way. And we never did get caught!!!!! Those are some of the best memories of my youth.........it's a shame the classic drive-in theaters are going the way of the dinosaur.

There's something vaguely mysterious and eerie about watching a great horror film blanketed by the stars, with a summer wind blowing across the lake. A shared popcorn and soda stuck into the sand beneath the swings.........shyly ogling the buxom starlets that were a staple of the Hammer films.......leaving the drive-in with my hands slightly imprinted by the chains of the swingset because I had been unconsciously gripping them so tightly during the scary parts.......sneaking back home undetected and slipping back into the sleeping bags, staying up for hours longer under the stars while we laughed and shivered over the film.........finally drifting off to sleep ( usually in mid-sentence), or if I was the last one awake, staring at the stars silently until sleep finally captured me as well.

THAT, my friends, was one HELL of a way to see a horror film........

Last edited by Scatter on Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:27 am

Jeff R, I don't know what part of my post you are questioning. It is SO clear, just like my mind!! I put the 3 movie set DVD away because my husband's birthday is in December. My mind is getting feeble and weak, probably because I come HERE so often!!!
sue

Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:34 pm

silver wrote:Jeff R, I don't know what part of my post you are questioning. It is SO clear, just like my mind!! I put the 3 movie set DVD away because my husband's birthday is in December. My mind is getting feeble and weak, probably because I come HERE so often!!!
sue

Sue, I think he is wondering what 3 disc set you are talking about... because The Raven has only been released on the 1 disc Lugosi collection.

JEFF d
Elvis fan

Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:09 pm

Scatter, "Dracula" by Irishman, Bram Stoker, is an excellent book, perhaps the ultimate horror story?

Your entertaining drive-in movie story is a reminder...

We snuck into cinemas too. We did not have drive-ins:-(

One day in the 50s I took the afternoon off work to see a horror movie.
The cinema was almost completely empty just a few OAPs and me.

When the lights dimmed an Exit door leading to the mens toilet opened and in came a group of small boys.

They settled down in the front row, no attendent saw them.

The movie began, the atmosphere was grim a car came rushing down a dark country road, drove up a long drive to a large house, a man obviously in a state of terror rushed towards the front door but a cloud was developing down the drive and slowly but surely a gruesome monster began to appear. I shrunk deeper in my seat.

The group of young boys rose to their feet and hurried out the Exit door.

"Night of the Demon", is a classic!!!

Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:34 am

I too have read Stoker and Shelley

and Dracula is an excellent exciting scary story;
better than Frankenstein
which I found quite dull

(being nearly a full century apart, may be a factor)

Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:30 am

Sue- That's ok. I thought it was multi-disc set two until I opened it as it priced and packaged as a two disc set. Your confusion is also understandable because there are so many movies. One thing you have to keep in mind though is that generally in the 1930s and 1940s going to the movies was kind of an all day experience and movies tended to be much shorter. Most horror movies came in about 70-79 minutes or so. "Murders in the Rue Morgue" and "The Raven" are only 61 minutes long and "The Black Cat" is only five minutes longer. Even a relative prestige movie like 1940s "Mark of Zorro" was only 95 minutes. Today a movie like that would top two hours. You have to leave time for a second feature, news and serial and even shorts. Many theaters even had live acts between shows. (Bing Crosby got some of his first breaks in a set up like this.) This was really except for live shows the only visual event available to audiences who only had the radio at home.

'Theatre of Blood" is a terrific movie Scatter. Screamingly funny and actually educational. My favorite line comes when a popular figures out that it has to be Price committing the crimes because he's the only person around with the gall to rewrite Shakespeare.

Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:56 am

Thanks, LTB!! I haven't opened it, so I didn't know how many disks were in it. All I knew was there were 3 movies (I think)!!
sue

GG, Maurice, & Scatter - When I read Dracula, it scared me to death!! And, I don't scare easily at all!!

Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:34 am

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009X770E/002-7817047-2730460?v=glance&n=130&n=507846&s=dvd&v=glance

Is this the disc you got Sue?

JEFF d
Elvis fan

Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:27 am

Jeff, It looks like that!! I'm not sure if that's exactly it because I didn't open it and I hid it away and my husband is sitting right here (isn't he always?). Anyway, I recognize the cover. If that's the only one that looks like that, then that's the one I got! Looking at it though, it says 5 movies. The one LTB told me about had 3. I'm not sure now. But the cover DID look exactly like that. I know! I'll go to amazon and check my account.
sue

Yes, I always think like this, especially since I came here to this site.

I went to my account and you are exactly right, Jeff. I wonder if I ordered the wrong thing, because LTB's only had 3 and this one definitely has 5.

Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:04 pm

Pete Dube wrote:
Every Halloween I dress up as some woman and pass out candy. I do my own make-up. This year I'm going as Paris Hilton. My main problem is getting the necessary height. I'm 5'5-1/2", but I'm constructing a pair of boots that will give me another 5" in height, and the hairpiece will add about another 2". This is basically what they did to bring Paris' height up to around 6'5". In my case I'll be 6' or 6'1" in the costume, but I'll also be standing inside the door when I pass out the candy so to a little kid the overall effect will be that I'm a giant! :)

Sorry Pete ! I just could'nt resist !

Good luck passing out that candy :oops:

Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:55 pm

My son just recently bought "The Monster Legacy DVD Collection" (Universal).
It contains all the 5 Dracula movies, 5 Frankenstein movies, 4 Wolfman movies + one extra dvd containing "Creatures from the black lagoon", "The invisible man", "Phantom of the opera" and "The mummy".
The picture quality is very good.

I was under the impression that young kids only want new, modern movies with alot of action and special effects. Im glad I was wrong...

Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:26 pm

silver wrote:Jeff, It looks like that!! I'm not sure if that's exactly it because I didn't open it and I hid it away and my husband is sitting right here (isn't he always?). Anyway, I recognize the cover. If that's the only one that looks like that, then that's the one I got! Looking at it though, it says 5 movies. The one LTB told me about had 3. I'm not sure now. But the cover DID look exactly like that. I know! I'll go to amazon and check my account.
sue

Yes, I always think like this, especially since I came here to this site.

I went to my account and you are exactly right, Jeff. I wonder if I ordered the wrong thing, because LTB's only had 3 and this one definitely has 5.

I just want to help you make shure you got the correct set! I think The Raven is only on this set... I could be wrong though. Unless it's on another Bela set that is unauthorised or something. There are quite a few Bela Lugosi sets on the market, but this one is the only official Universal set. Don't want you and your husband to be disappointed on Christmas day!

JEFF d
Elvis fan

Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:31 pm

Been holding off on this movie... gonna watch it tonight for the first time Murders In The Rue Morgue, also gonna screen The Black Cat, Taste The Blood Of Dracula & maybe Halloween!

JEFF d
Elvis fan

Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:28 pm

Sue- You ordered the right thing. The one with five is the one with "The Raven" - "I like torture". If I said three I misspoke. Maybe it was because I personall already had (from bootlegs) three of the five movies in the set. I am sorry for any confusion. If you have the one that Jeff linked you to you have the right one.

Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:40 am

Scatter wrote:
Pete..........you've GOT to post a pic here of you in the finished costume!!!!! PLEASE!!!!! I'm certain all we horror fanatics would love to see it!!!!!

I will Scatter, but it will be later this week. I have no clue how to upload photos, but my sister-in-law does so she's going to help me out.
The costume came out pretty good overall, but we didn't get a good turn out for Halloween. Seems there's a new trend towards organized Halloween parties, and that the ol' door to door trick or treating is on the wane.

Scatter wrote:I used to see all these movies by sneaking OUT of the yard at night (My brothers and I almost always slept outside in a tent or just in a sleeping bag in the yard during the summer) and sneaking INTO the Lakeside DriveIn. We had cut a hole in the chain link fence surrounding the drive-in lot where it bordered the woods we lived by.

We could squeeze through the hole unseen and stroll casually up to the playground which was situated below and directly in front of the big outdoor screen. We would then position ourselves (my cousin Kevin and I) either on the swingset or lying on the slide facing the screen and settle in for the movie (usually a double feature, though we seldom stayed for both in case our parents discovered we were gone).

The cars behind us were close enough so we could hear the dialogue from all the speakers mounted on the driver's side windows.

We saw a lot of schlocky, campy, and some downright SCARY films that way. And we never did get caught!!!!! Those are some of the best memories of my youth.........it's a shame the classic drive-in theaters are going the way of the dinosaur.

There's something vaguely mysterious and eerie about watching a great horror film blanketed by the stars, with a summer wind blowing across the lake. A shared popcorn and soda stuck into the sand beneath the swings.........shyly ogling the buxom starlets that were a staple of the Hammer films.......leaving the drive-in with my hands slightly imprinted by the chains of the swingset because I had been unconsciously gripping them so tightly during the scary parts.......sneaking back home undetected and slipping back into the sleeping bags, staying up for hours longer under the stars while we laughed and shivered over the film.........finally drifting off to sleep ( usually in mid-sentence), or if I was the last one awake, staring at the stars silently until sleep finally captured me as well.

THAT, my friends, was one HELL of a way to see a horror film........

In my hometown of Milford, Connecticut we had one of the first drive-ins (and one of the last to go). As a teen-ager it was a rite of passage to sneak in.

Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:58 pm

This post doesn't have anything to do with Universal horror films, but it does have to do with horror films so I figured I'd post it here. For those interested in the recently released collection of Val Lewton horror films you can pick it up new on Amazon for $41.00. I saw it last night in Best Buy for $58.00, so this is substantial savings.