Off Topic Messages

Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:15 am

Steve_M, "I meant that it did none of those things to me that you said it did."

I said it did exactly what to you? Am I missing something here?

The degrees of Elvis fanaticism are well documented, a case in point would be the guy at, "Graceland too" in Holly Springs Mississippi. He named his son Elvis and let his wife go because of his obsession. He has appeared in TV Documentaries. See his essay in the book, "In Search of Elvis", Edited by Vernon Chadwick. Vernon kindly took us to meet him in September 1999. Quite an experience:-)

I have spent far more time listening to classical music than I have to Elvis. I have never been treated or described as a, "Beethoven Fanatic", although I could well be:-)

Many Elvis fans would be embarrased to be described as a Fanatic nowadays because of the pejoritive nature of the word in common usage.

I am far to much my own guy to be classified by anyone else.
I mean, I know me better than anybody:-)

Do I miss out on other things too? Yes of course...we all do. I should be reading some classic books I've missed, painting landscapes I love, watching the movie on tv behind me, but Elvisology is just such an attraction and challenge.

For the time being anyway.

Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:17 am

You mean the perception of "Fanatic" ? Hmm...i guess, but the meaning of "fan" and "Fanatic" are almost the same as if the word "fan" derived fully from "fanatic" and many wouldn't hesitate to call thmeselves fans.

That guy you mentioned, that's not a fanatic purely, he may be a fanatic in the true sense but he seems to be an obsessive fanatic who has lost control over his subject.

I have thought more on this and I'm convinced I am a fanatic, not that I would openly describe myself as such simply because it is not a word I use. But I don't see it as being a derrogatory term in any way. Passionate to a high degree could be another way of putting it.

As for your comments about what Beethovens Seventh symphony did to me, well it didn't bring tears to my eyes or make me dance a jig or whatever else you said it did to me. I think that may have done that to you but I wasn't there so I couldn't say. I have no appreciation of his work, I regard myself as missing something as I relaise I am in a minority on this and maybe i might find whatever it is i am missing one day and begin to appreciate his work. But it doesn't move me at all except to turn it off.

Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:30 am

Steve_M wrote:As for your comments about what Beethovens Seventh symphony did to me, well it didn't bring tears to my eyes or make me dance a jig or whatever else you said it did to me. I think that may have done that to you but I wasn't there so I couldn't say. I have no appreciation of his work, I regard myself as missing something as I relaise I am in a minority on this and maybe i might find whatever it is i am missing one day and begin to appreciate his work. But it doesn't move me at all except to turn it off.

Read his comments again Steve. He's describing the impact the music has on him, not you.

I think the word "fanatic" does have negative connotations, simply because it's used mainly in a derogatory way and to describe very obsessive people. I'd prefer to be called a fan instead, as that suggests I'm still viewed as mentally stable :)

Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:48 am

MauriceinIreland wrote:I am far to much my own guy to be classified by anyone else.
I mean, I know me better than anybody:-)

That's more information than we really need to know Maurice. :shock:

Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:14 am

TJ wrote:Read his comments again Steve. He's describing the impact the music has on him, not you.

And here they are:

It just grips your emotions, has you in tears, then happily dancing the wildest jig imaginable.

If you're right TJ, and I think you could be, then he should have said:

It just grips my emotions, has me in tears, then happily dancing the wildest jig imaginable.

I can't be responsible for others not choosing to say what they mean and then not mean what they say. :wink:

As for fan or fanatic, well I'm still out on that. Even coming here and posting on this site might raise questions about my mental stability, not that the answers would be negative, but that some may raise questions never-the-less.

When does a hobby stop becoming a natural past time and turn into an obsession? Is there a criteria to define it or is it open to interpretation via opinion?

Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:35 am

Steve -

You wrote:
I can't be responsible for others not choosing to say what they mean and then not mean what they say

But as long as they mean what they meant they meant to mean it should be OK, for them, I mean [if you get my meaning].

Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:49 am

Only if what they meant to say had enough meaning for it to be meant the way it was meant not for it to have meant something they didn't mean. I mean that the way I meant it, not to mean anything other than what I meant.

I think thats what I mean.

Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:58 am

Steve_M, I agree with TJ here the word fan and Fanatic are different. TJ is right about the Seventh too.

The word Fan to me means a mild form of admiration, whereas Fanatic can carry the weight of obsession. The media like to use the latter when describing Elvis fans.

"The difference between Beethoven and all other musicians before him-aside from things like genius and unparralled force-was that Beethoven looked upon himself as an artist, and he stood up for his rights as an artist. Where Mozart moved in the periphery of the aristocratic world, anxiously knocking but never really admitted, Beethoven, who was only fourteen years Mozart's junior, kicked open the doors, stormed in and made himself at home."

From "Lives of the Great Composers" by Harold C Schonberg.

That description of Beethoven kicking open the doors kinda reminds us of Elvis:-)

I too turned Beethoven off till I came to his wonderful music via Chopin's piano music and Tchaikovsky's beautiful orchestral music which is easier on the ear. But I was already 22 at the time! Cornel Wilde as Chopin in a movie which I saw in 1964, set our classical music ball rolling.

Our children grew up playing classical music in junior, intermediate and youth orchestras, so we grew up together. Piano and violin music in our home every night for years and years.

Peter Dube, Heal thy self :-)

Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:02 pm

Steve -

But did you mean [Deleted - see Guideline 12a].

[That's enough of this and we mean it - The Management]

Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:28 pm

No Colin, I didn't mean [Deleted - see Guideline 12a], I meant [Deleted - see Guideline 12b] although in hindsight many may have interpretted that to have meant [Deleted - see Guideline 12c]

And yes Maurice I can see at a glance that the two words are different, but their official meaning (not my opinion nor the perception of the meaning by others) has little difference.

If someone uses the word in its truest form to suggest we are fanatics, should we automatically assume that they are being derrogatory because they must be using the word in its untrue form ?

When you originally said about the guy at the radio station, did he actualy say you were a fanatic, or did you take it that he meant as much but then applied the wrong meaning of the word to descibe what you thought he was suggesting ?

Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:51 pm

Steve_M, The guy at the radio was out to poke fun at us. As soon as he introduced the radio show on-air I knew his true intention.
The use of the word, FANATIC, depends on the context, and sometimes the tone of voice.

If you visited our home and saw no sign of Elvis would you think us Elvis fanatics?

If you then returned and saw our living room full of Elvis pictures and memorabilia wall to ceiling? (For the benifit of TV and newspapers:-)

This week we are planning to have a wall to wall Kate Bush theme to surprise the hell out of our grandchildren who think we are Elvis fanatics:-)

In a moment I am going out to get "Mojo" magazine because Kate Bush is on the cover. We will have fun framing all the recent newspaper reports about her, and hanging them up. A change is as good as a rest:-)

Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:23 pm

I wouldn't think of you as a fanatic in either case, because as I've said before it is not a word I use to describe people.

I wouldn't have a problem with someone decorating their room floor to ceiling with Elvis or Bush (unless it was President Bush)

Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:24 pm

i have a lot of postery...

i'm seriously thinking about getting david boreanaz and james marsters postery to add to the elvis, harrison ford, aykroyd, belushi, lotr, star wars, indy...i won't go there. :lol:

let's just say my room is infamous when people come over. my mom gets kind of embarrassed when unsuspecting visitors see my room, because its, um... a little wall-to-wall covered.

i think a lot of people put a negative connotation to...excessive fanmanship, which i technically am in massive scale...i mean, i don't have spock brows or anything, but i'm definitely not quiet.

most girls talk about themselves, i just don't quite as much, and that glazed over look is pretty common for anybody talking to an asperger's person. :cry:

i like it. and if makes me a hardcore pop-culture fanatic. so be it.

and for the record--yes, the middle of the wall, special place of honor goes to an elvis poster--1 of 2, plus a lot of other little pics here and there. :D
Last edited by Elvis' Babe on Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:27 pm

I got the "Mojo" mag with Kate Bush on the cover.

I also bought the "Hot Press" an Irish rock music mag and there is a letter of mine in it about Elvis, and Kate Bush's song about him:-)

The road to our Elvis and Kate Bush fanaticism has been resurfaced.

Steve_M, Everyone knows what I meant, I meant to tell you.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions:-)

See the letter here.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v498/ ... ISKate.jpg

Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:58 pm

MauriceinIreland wrote:Steve_M, Everyone knows what I meant, I meant to tell you.

Guess I can take it that that means you deem me not good enough to be considered as a part of everyone.

Or did you not mean that but meant something else instead. ? Guess I can go and ask everyone.

Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:05 pm

[Deleted - see Guideline 12a].

Kidding, folks, I put that in there myself. :lol:

I look forward to others weighing back in on the original
subject (see page 1) of "The Death of Rock"!

Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:17 pm

Steve_M, You enjoy these little word games, don't you?

I know for certain you know exactly what I meant regarding use and abuse of the word, Fanatic:-)

Everyone, is inclusive. Consider yourself in:-) The End.

Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:34 pm

Oh that! I thought you meant about me doing a jig.

I was totally serious and sincere about all comments made in here.

Your initial mention of the word "fanatic" was when you said the radio man had put you into that bracket. It wasn't until you told me the context with which he had said it that I thought there was anything wrong with being a fanatic. I still maintain I am one myself.

Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:34 pm

EagleUSA wrote:One cannot spell crap without including the letters RAP.

Ten Things That Every Rap song MUST have:

Jewelery aka Bling
Guns
Women
Women’s Breasts
Women’s Legs
Women’s asses
Sex with women
Drinking alcohol
Smoking grass
Violence

Fo shizzle, YO!!!

I don't like rap at all, but comments like this make you seem stupid, racist or both. In fact, change "rap" to "rock" and you sound like your parents, or grandparents. Can't imagine this was your goal.

-----

Audifon

Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:32 pm

Rap sucks. Period.
No matter what color the rap "artist" is.

Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:00 pm

Eagle I think you might have goofed big time.

Your list starts with the first two things reminding me of Elvis then further down the alcohol and grass reminds me of drugs - erm, who's that guy who got associated with that ?

Womens legs ? Long Legged Girl With The Short Dress On springs to mind

Violence ? what did he try and promote towards Mike Stone ?

As for "Rap," well what is "rap" ? same as what is "rock 'n' roll" ?

I'm am continually stunned by the work of eminem, whether he is a "rap" artist or not, my kids buy it and I borrow it. :wink:

Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:37 pm

Graceland Gardener wrote:Rap sucks. Period.
No matter what color the rap "artist" is.

It sucks why? Because you don't like it? Sound reasoning there....

:roll:

Jules

Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:58 pm

Steve_M, "I'm am continually stunned by the work of eminem, whether he is a "rap" artist or not, my kids buy it and I borrow it."

And you turn off Ludwig Van Beethoven. Depriving your children of the greatest music ever composed?

Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:13 pm

Audifon Label wrote:I don't like rap at all, but comments like this make you seem stupid, racist or both. In fact, change "rap" to "rock" and you sound like your parents, or grandparents. Can't imagine this was your goal.

-----

Audifon

I hear this charge often as a way to stop the conversation in its tracks.
I realize there's some truth to it, but is it also a given that
everything new is "progress" or "worthy of praise" or "to be left
alone because, well, we were teenagers once..."?

Part of being an artist (or at least a celebrity) is taking your critical
lumps. Why rappers are given the kid gloves treatment is partly
a hangover of guilty liberalism.

People tie themselves in knots in trying not to offend or give
their opinion that some music is just junk. :D

Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:40 pm

MauriceinIreland wrote:Steve_M, "I'm am continually stunned by the work of eminem, whether he is a "rap" artist or not, my kids buy it and I borrow it."

And you turn off Ludwig Van Beethoven. Depriving your children of the greatest music ever composed?

Maurice, read it again. I don't try and influence my kids to what they should listen to, I'll let them find their own way in life with things like that, I'll let the marketing people at record companies and music media do their best to influence them.

My kids have influenced what I listen to, not the ohter way around.

If you can back up your facts as you state them I would be interested to hear it, but I think that Beethovens compositions being the best music ever composed is merely your opinion and one shared by others.

Facts are verifiable, that's what makes them facts.

Also, I turned off Beethoven as i said before, but that means I was prepared to listen to him, to have him turned on in the first place in order that I could turn him off. So i did try and see if that was for me. It wasn't. If my kids want to play Beethoven they can, I won't stop them, I'll let them choose. So far it's not a choice they've exercised.

Some people try and force things like this onto their kids thinking that their kids must want to like what they like. That ain't for me.