Off Topic Messages

I got Stung on Ebay

Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:54 pm

I was a seller of various DVD-r's (and listed them as such)..selling them to basically cover ebay costs, dvdr cost, paypal costs and sometimes included shipping. Another seller of the same stuff who is making super duper cover's, etc. was selling for quintuple what I was and said the DVD is free, you are buying my artwork.. they complained about me and I got booted!

Trying to spread the love at a profit of about $1 per order and got dinged..damn..I guess I will stick to trading.

Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:27 am

When I had my own shop, I got 10 copies of an Elvis LP-title with a free 20 or 24-page photobook inside the sleeve. It did not sell. So I offered the photobook for sale (for the price of the LP) and mentioned people would get a free LP with Elvis film songs when purchasing the photobook. All copies were sold within days!
People are weird!

Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:32 pm

Hi Jon,

If you lived outside the USA you could sell anything on Ebay. It's the laws in this country that keeps us from selling those items.
Just check all the auctions for illegal bootleg cds and dvds and they are all from outside the USA. If not, they will be stopped soon.
You can maybe be allowed to sell them if you don't say DVD-r or CDR and not use the words "bootleg" or "promo" in the listing and description. Of course if you do not put these words in the description, people will think they are getting an original and you'll end up being kicked off or getting bad feedback. It's a no-win situation on Ebay if you live in the USA.

jeff R

Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:32 am

I changed the way I list things now
my ebay name is
elvisfanindiana

Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:45 am

I've considered how to promote the DVD's of the CBS set when I've finished.

To step into a gray area I thought I would sell a second hand already written to DVD-R and say that any content found on the DVD-R is free and that the buyer has to accpet the content being on there and that they are only pay for the physical property of the DVD-R.

Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:01 am

That is cool. Doesn't the DVD (hyphen) R through a big "hey look at me" to the Ebay Police?

Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:11 am

Steve_M wrote:I've considered how to promote the DVD's of the CBS set when I've finished.

To step into a gray area I thought I would sell a second hand already written to DVD-R and say that any content found on the DVD-R is free and that the buyer has to accpet the content being on there and that they are only pay for the physical property of the DVD-R.

That'a kinda like the guy, not being allowed to sell fuel on a Sunday, offering £20 bags of crisps with the fuel thrown in 'free'.

Didn't work for him, either !

Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:06 am

I'm sure anything that says DVD-R or DVD+R or CDR will call the police. Same goes for Promo, bootleg, pirate copy.
I know it is illegal to sell these items but there are a lot of people that will buy them. I've bought a lot of these items but they have all been outside the USA. It's okay for them...but not for us USA people.
Very strange laws in different countries.

jeff R

Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:45 am

Steve_M wrote:I've considered how to promote the DVD's of the CBS set when I've finished.

I think that would be flagged up immediately Steve. The thing is, anyone buying a CBS set is going to know it's DVD-R as almost all Elvis import DVDs are. If anyone has a problem with there being CBS content, it would be closed whether you say you are selling the content or not. If you put DVD-R it's just far more likely to be closed because ebay scan listings searching for bootleg terms - at least that's what I've heard. And hey, most of us will probably be keen to buy it, so keep it subtle :)

Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:43 am

TJ is right. We would all be in line to buy Steve's DVD. I think it would be harder with Elvis because he's so well known and they have hundreds of items by him. However, I recently bought a Gene Vincent DVD, and when I got it, I found it was a DVD-R. But then, I didn't complain because it was what I wanted. I don't know how strictly ebay or amazon scrutinizes the products offered. There must be some way to do it though.

Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:22 pm

TJ wrote:The thing is, anyone buying a CBS set is going to know it's DVD-R as almost all Elvis import DVDs are.

Have to disagree, many casual fans just decide they want a particular item - they have no idea what is official and what isn't. I went on a Janis Joplin spree recently and hadn't a clue about her releases... retail, oop, import, boot, audio, video, didn't know squat, and I think that's the norm.

Eileen

Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:22 pm

Eileen wrote:
TJ wrote:The thing is, anyone buying a CBS set is going to know it's DVD-R as almost all Elvis import DVDs are.

Have to disagree, many casual fans just decide they want a particular item - they have no idea what is official and what isn't. I went on a Janis Joplin spree recently and hadn't a clue about her releases... retail, oop, import, boot, audio, video, didn't know squat, and I think that's the norm.

Eileen

I'm not sure about the norm in relation to EIC, but yes I take your point. There will be some buying who don't realise.

Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:23 pm

JonRomanovich wrote:I changed the way I list things now
my ebay name is
elvisfanindiana

Cool. You're back in the game!

Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:31 pm

Change of plan, I'm going to avoid the interweb police by not having a DVD-R at all but a genuine manufactured pressed DVD.

Not any more legal at all, but it avoids the interweb police and will give fans a better product.

Of course if they are watching this post from the interweb satelite then I am only kidding and making this all up which I have a legal right to do if I so wish. :lol:

Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:38 pm

TJ wrote:I'm not sure about the norm in relation to EIC, but yes I take your point. There will be some buying who don't realise.

Pre-2002 I would have agreed with your assessment on EIC, however it's since received so much more exposure via the 25th anniversary coverage, Elvis Lives and EBTP that I think the buying pool is broader now, much more likely to include Jane 'Average' Doe than before.

Eileen

Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:46 pm

[quote="Steve_M"]Change of plan, I'm going to avoid the interweb police by not having a DVD-R at all but a genuine manufactured pressed DVD.

Not any more legal at all, but it avoids the interweb police and will give fans a better product.[quote]

And I want to be one of those fans!! Bring it on, Steve!

The stuff on Crawler blows me away. We need that stuff on DVD!

Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:55 am

Steve, reserve one copy for me, please...

Rich