Off Topic Messages

Kate Bush. "A Work of Genius".

Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:52 pm

Ireland's "The Hot Press" magazine gives Kate's Album 10/10 "A Work of Genius" it proclaims on it's cover.

This morning I bought the single, "King of the Mountain", a compassionate song about Elvis.

HMV had quite a large stack of them prominently displayed!

See and hear it for yourself on http://www.katebush.com

Every one is singing about Elvis.
Bono, Robbie Williams and Kate Bush,
All fitting tributes to Presley
Because he set off a new Gold Rush.

Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:36 am

Maurice,

You forgot to mention,Neil young's new song "He Was The King" on his latest album "Prairie Wind"

Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:49 am

Hello Dan_T, I hadn't really forgot Neil's song but I was in a hurry with the little verse:-)
I have not heard Neil's song yet..is it good enough to buy "Prairie Wind" to get it?

232 songs about or mentioning Elvis now..WOW!

Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:00 am

Get that album, Maurice. "He Was The King" is not exactly a masterpiece but there are a couple of great, great songs on "Prairie Wind", like "It's a Dream" and "When God Made Me".

Have you heard "Hey Mr. Presley" by what's-his-name? Now, THAT is a good song about Elvis! "Hey Mr. Presley, where you gonna ROOOOCK tonight!!!" It never fails to put a smile on my face.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:21 am

Maurice,

Give it a listen online,just click on "He Was The King"

http://www.neilyoung.com/prairiewind.html

Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:31 am

Keith Richards, Jr., Thanks Keith, but one at a time please my CD collection is outgrowing our living room:-) Not heard "Hey Mr Presley" is it genuine?

Dan_T, Great song loved the lyrics! Enjoyed listening to it and will post it on the Kate Bush forum!

You are not THE Dan mentioned are you by any chance?

Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:50 pm

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:Get that album, Maurice. "He Was The King" is not exactly a masterpiece but there are a couple of great, great songs on "Prairie Wind", like "It's a Dream" and "When God Made Me".

I'd also add The Painter to that list. It's a patchy album, but the good songs are beautifully done.

Jules

Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:38 pm

Looked at the Neil Young CD today in HMV..22 Euros.

That's OK, but Maureen has demanded we go see The Russian Ballet perform Tchaikovsky's "Swan Lake" 113 Euros and I have just booked for a Ludwig Van Beethoven Concerto at our National Concert Hall. Violin Concerto, and the lovely Triple Concerto. 60 Euros.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v498/ ... ven001.jpg

Last time we saw and heard that Orchestra was Beethoven's Ninth in Carnegie Hall New York 2001. In the morning we had been on the Twin Towers!

Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:14 pm

UPDATE, Do not read if not interested.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v498/ ... BUSH12.jpg

Kate Bush is all over the press The Guardian and Irish Times today, and the Greek edition of Vogue, Record Collectors next issue, and MOJO does a 16! Page interview with Kate!

Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:49 pm

My favortie Elvis-tribute song is the Bryan Adams rocker, "Hey Elvis"! It was done better by the mullet king himself, Billy Ray Cyrus. :oops:

Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:54 pm

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v498/ ... 92_1_b.jpg

Thanks TINML, I had to look up the song and lyrics:-)

The massive amount of publicity Kate is receiving is very heartening indeed. She pulls no punches in replying to the nonsense printed about her:-)

See her on the German edition of "Rolling Stone" mag on the link above.

Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:56 pm

Latest:

The Kate Bush single, King of the Mountain, has made its debut in the UK chart at No.4 !

Just for the record, the last time Kate had top 5 single was in 1985 when Running Up That Hill reached No.3.

Good on yer, Kate !

Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:42 am

Yeah,that's good going,Colin,But I thought it would do better than that.

Can't believe "Westlife" outsold her.

Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:51 am

Dan_T wrote:Yeah,that's good going,Colin,But I thought it would do better than that.

Can't believe "Westlife" outsold her.

You've got to remember the demographic of single-buyers today !

Westlife are right up their street !

Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:53 am

That's true !

Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:17 pm

Dan_T, ColinB,

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainmen ... 379778.stm The publicity continues:-)

It was lovely to see the "King of the Mountain" video on TV...maybe..just maybe, the single will rise higher in the chart or at least remain in the top ten a little longer.

The LA Times called the song Kate's, "Ode to Elvis".

Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:30 pm

not my kind of music. :/ her type of music just doesn't impress me.

i'd have to say that "dear 331..." song, while not particularly good, was pretty nifty.

and of course walking in memphis. i'm personally fond of cher's cover.

Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:55 pm

Elvis' Babe, That's OK. There's room for all tastes in music.

Kate is an aquired taste. like Beethoven's sublime late Quartets we have to work at understanding where the composer is coming from:-)

http://news.ft.com/cms/s/04a9a682-49b3- ... e2340.html

From the "Financial Times"
Main page content:
Kate Bush, Aerial (EMI)
By Ludovic Hunter-Tilney
Published: October 31 2005 02:00 | Last updated: October 31 2005 02:00

Kate Bush's new album, her first since 1993's The Red Shoes, does her reputation as one of pop's great eccentrics no harm. On one song she recites pi to the 114th decimal place. Another track hinges on her repeatedly singing the words "washing machine". Elsewhere she duets with birds, communes with Joan of Arc and invents a spell for invisibility. Oh, and Rolf Harris performs a guest turn as an artist whose painting is ruined by rain.

This is indeed a strange brew. But we do Bush's music a disservice if we simply revel in its unusualness. Ever since she imprinted herself on the public mind as a leotard- wearing teenager singing "Wuthering Heights", it has been easy to exoticise her as otherworldly and enigmatic: a child-woman with an uncanny voice and curious aversion to celebrity. Her reclusive nature (she rarely gives interviews and gave up playing live after her first tour in 1979) and the long hiatus since her last album encourage us to imagine her as an obsessive, lonely genius, as does the mystique surrounding Aerial, whose appearance has been the subject of much hearsay and anticipation.

The true circumstances of its making appear more mundane. Bush's retirement from music after The Red Shoes was partly due to motherhood: her new songs are enraptured with themes of domesticity and family life. Also, The Red Shoes wasn't terribly good: for the first time in her career Bush sounded dated, like someone stranded in the 1980s. Perhaps she needed time to rediscover her talent for making music that was ambitious, literary, sensual and deeply singular. Or was that talent irrevocably lost, as so many pop stars discover in middle age?

Thankfully Aerial proves otherwise. At first listen - which was all I was allowed as pre-release exposure to the album has been strictly rationed - it comes across as richly satisfying and brilliantly conceived.

Split into two sections, the first, "A Sea of Honey", opens with a song cautioning against the cult of celebrity, "King of the Mountain", in which Bush sings about Elvis Presley. "How To Be Invisible", the closest the album gets to straightforward rock, makes explicit her distaste for fame, though a desire for privacy hasn't inhibited her from writing songs about her personal life. "Bertie" is a faux-Elizabethan ditty in praise of her son: a curio, but touching. "A Coral Room" refers to her mother's death.

The centrepiece of Aerial's first section is "Mrs Bartolozzi", a song about washing clothes whose lyrics move with astonishing deftness between domesticity, intimacy and eroticism. Piano-led, it pushes to the fore the 47-year-old's voice, which sounds as fluidly distinctive as ever. Her vocals may have lost some of their old wildness (and with it the air of melodrama that used to hover over her music), but they have also become fuller, more mature. The music, too, is contemplative: piano and vivid string arrangements predominate.

"A Sky of Honey", the album's second suite of songs, opens with dawn birdsong and young Bertie piping up to tell his parents that the birds sound like they're speaking. The following tracks develop this theme of nature and culture (this is when Rolf, the painter with the rainy canvas, appears), set within the context of the passing of a day. The music ebbs and flows; the mood of the lyrics is celebratory.

Having begun with her son speaking, it ends with a track welcoming sunrise. Thumping beats, hazy guitars and joyous singing, including peals of laughter, make this Aerial's most upbeat song. It is an album about renewal: the daily renewal of the sun and her own renewal by her son.

'Aerial' will be released on November 7

Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:07 pm

They've been playing many of Kate's past hits a video's all afternoon on VH1.it struck me (again) how unique she is.

Fantastic.

And to think that she is quoted as saying that she doesn't consider herself as a dancer,or a singer!!!

She feels they were just things that came about due to her song writing.

Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:42 am

Dan_T, December issue of the British "Record Collector" magazine devotes it's cover and 8 pages to Kate Bush!

Yes her dancing and singing is so mesmerising...and she does not realise that!

Her seven year old son, Bertie, does Elvis impressions so she said in "Q" Magazine, 2001. Early starter huh:-)