Off Topic Messages

Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:54 am

Yes. It was just a friendly suggestion.

Thanks Delboy. Appreciated.

Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:37 am

MauriceinIreland wrote:I am an atheist but using abortion as contraception is repulsive.

Atheist or not your thinking on this is laudable Maurice.

Re: The Other spectacle.

Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:34 am

[quote="MauriceinIreland"]From the "Irish Examiner" newspaper.

Anti abortionist should not have been prosecuted

THE Supreme Court yesterday upheld an appeal by a Youth Defence activist against part of a High Court order arising from a picket of an Irish Family Planning Association clinic (IFPA) in Dublin. The three judge court also awarded costs to spectacle against the IFPA.
The hearing arose following a Youth Defence picket, supported by a number of Americans, of the IFPA clinic at Cathal Brugha Street, Dublin, in March 1999.
On March 8, 1999, the High Court granted the IFPA an order restraining Youth Defence and three named persons, including Mr colgate™, from picketing the headquarters and clinics of the IFPA.
Later proceedings were issued alleging breach of the order restraining picketing. At a hearing in August 1999, counsel for Youth Defence and other parties undertook to abide by the terms of the March order and proceedings were struck out against other persons.
Mr colgate™, of Elmesborough Crescent, Tallaght, Dublin, appealed against part of the High Court order of Mr Justice O’Donovan of August 18, 1999. He appealed against the judge’s failure to dismiss the motion against him and also the failure to award him costs against the IFPA, claiming the judge erred in law and in fact.
Yesterday the Chief Justice, Mr Justice Keane, said the court had read the papers in the matter and it appeared Mr colgate™ should never have been before the court at all. The trial judge had noted Mr colgate™ was not named or identified in affidavits on behalf of the IFPA as being in breach of the March High Court order and had accepted Mr colgate™’s assertion he did not commit any act which could be construed as a breach of that order. The Chief Justice said the central issue in the appeal appeared to be costs.
The Chief Justice told Mr colgate™ the court would make an order allowing his appeal and awarding him costs against the IFPA. Mr colgate™ said he wished to raise matters and handed a document to the judge.
The Chief Justice told Mr colgate™ he had got the orders he had sought and the court could not address matters which were not properly before it. When Mr colgate™ persisted, the Chief Justice and other judges rose to leave. Mr colgate™ asked were they refusing to hear him and Mr Justice Keane replied: “Yes.’’

The above spectacle was a member of the Roman Catholic Youth Defense against Abortion.

I am another Maurice altogether.

Some here tried to imply I was a defendent in a recent court case.

Their search for dirt backfired!!! There are quite a few Maurice Colgans in this world.

No comment is required. Those involved in the recent controversy about lies being posted about me will now understand the Administrators have had enough!!![/quote]

Thanks Pete. My cousin P J Molloy is heavily involved in trying to get something done about the disgraceful amount of abortions being carried out on tens of thousand of Irish women who travel to London for the service. Most of them middle-class!!! What IS wrong with sex education in developed countries?

Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:40 pm

Pete Dube wrote:
MauriceinIreland wrote:I am an atheist but using abortion as contraception is repulsive.

Atheist or not your thinking on this is laudable Maurice.

There speaks one man to another :roll: :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:58 pm

MauriceinIreland wrote:
MauriceinIreland wrote:From the "Irish Examiner" newspaper.

Thanks Pete. My cousin P J Molloy is heavily involved in trying to get something done about the disgraceful amount of abortions being carried out on tens of thousand of Irish women who travel to London for the service. Most of them middle-class!!! What IS wrong with sex education in developed countries?

What is wrong is people who think it's something to be proud of that women have been denied adequate education and adequate contraceptive services and then finding themselve in a terrible situation are hounded by moralist do-gooders who would rather bring shame, poverty and yet another unwanted, unloved child into the world and punish the woman in the process.

I believe you are better than that Maurice. This is not a crusade you should be proud of.

Geoff

Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:04 pm

tupelo_boy wrote:I believe you are better than that Maurice.

Not much better.

Tom

Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:51 pm

tupelo_boy, Don't misunderstand me. I am in favour of women having the opportunity to avail of the services.

BUT it is now being used as contraception! I don't think you would agree with that!

Family planning services have all the safe sex products for woman and girls to use free in most cases.

20,30,40,000 Abortions in a small country like Ireland would be an absolute disgrace.

University educated young women instead of using the birth control facilities rely on Abortion in the UK! Very expensive too.

We are not talking about pregnant schoolgirls. Although they are becoming quite a problem these days...especially in the UK.

I do not condone religious fanatics either.

That's the end of my time on that subject.

This thread is being ignored by some who should be thinking why it was posted................................ and why it remains. It has caused quite a few deletions in recent days. I'm sure you know why.

Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:06 pm

No misunderstanding Maurice, you know I work in Salford, an area you are familiar with.

Unwanted pregnancies, abortion rates, etc are always a symptom of an underlying social problem. I think we can both agree that the problem is what needs to be tackled, not the symptom.

Best wishes

Geoff

Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:28 pm

tupelo_boy, Salford has changed so much since I lived and worked there:-(

We were there earlier this year and did not recognise the place, especially Lower Broughton where we had lived for many years.

Yes you are quite right the problems stemming from poor education and social conditions breed a generational ignorance.

Cheers. Maurice.

I

Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:54 am

I think that one of the problems is that far more young women (especially in the UK and Ireland) are now going out with the intention of getting as drunk as possible and hooking up with a guy. It's now part of our culture. Women are drinking as much as men and reckless decisions are made when drunk, which lead to unwanted pregnancies. In many cases, sex education is irrelevant. The girls are fully aware of the potential end result of unprotected sex, but are too drunk to care.

Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:18 am

TJ, Many of these young girls do have babies here and in the UK..somtimes 3 or four to different fathers. They think they are living it up.

The future holds a lot of heartache for them.

I know some women who had abortions as teenagers and DEEPLY regret having done so.

It's a really difficult subject.

TJ,"The girls are fully aware of the potential end result of unprotected sex, but are too drunk to care." Exactly. Not in control. Many of us have been there:-(

Sat Oct 29, 2005 2:28 pm

Does anyone else get nauseated listening to unwanted pregnancies blamed on "lack of education"??

What a crock..........those of us on the cutting edge of scientific research have recently discovered the cause of all unwanted, unforced pregnancies. Stupidity, immorality, and irresponsibility.

I knew where babies came from by the time I was 8 or so (I guess). I dare say these "poor, uneducated, innocents" have a damn fair idea as well. Keep your knickers above your knees girls........or a lot worse than the dismembering of an innocent may await you, since 1 in 5 over the age of 19 are purported to be carrying some sort of venereal disease as a result of their "lack of education" :roll: .

Sat Oct 29, 2005 2:41 pm

Scatter, it's not the knowledge base, it's the lack of skills or power to be be able to put that knowledge into practice.

Whether the power differential is caused by economic or social difference, or the need to feel loved and unable to negotiate the sort of sexual transaction that might be safer/satisfying whatever it's rarely down to morals, or lack thereof.

That's the problem with knowledge - the fool who said knowldge is power was wrong. Knowledge is knowledge, power is the ability to act upon that knowledge. It is a fortunate person who possesses that power, we should save our criticism for those who chose to exploit the power differential and the system that created it.

Just my humble viewpoint.

Geoff

Sat Oct 29, 2005 2:53 pm

Tupelo.........that's an absolute copout. Knowledge IS power, because it gives you choices. According to all the "Experts" I should be a raving alcoholic with deep emotional issues since my whole family before me was. My dad abandoned us for booze, drugs, and women when I was 11. He was physically and emotionally abusive for years before that.

That was all the "Education" I needed to make certain my life didn't go down that road.

Enablers and facilitators..........the true titles for the bleeding hearts on this issue. A little personal responsibility goes a looooong way. We don't make anyone pay for their mistakes anymore. We just pat them on the head and tell them it's not their fault. So it goes and increases.

As I said............nauseating.

Sat Oct 29, 2005 3:52 pm

tupelo_boy, Exactly!

But don't get me started on social issues.

Compassion for others is always important many are not as strong, or clever at working out their problems, as we lucky ones.

Do not ask for whom the bell tolls...............

Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:14 am

Tupelo.........I just re-read my post and was realized that it came off as an attack upon you rather than the philosophy.

Please accept my apologies.........that was not my intention. I like and respect you and enjoy your posts.......just goes to show I should never type after Midnight :shock:

Sun Oct 30, 2005 2:25 pm

Thanks you Scatter, apologies accepted, but by no means needed. The respect is indeed mutual.

It wouldn't be such an interesting world if we all looked at life from the same perspective.

Keep typing midnight or othertimes :wink:

Best wishes

Geoff

Sun Oct 30, 2005 2:41 pm

tupelo_boy wrote:Thanks you Scatter, apologies accepted, but by no means needed. The respect is indeed mutual.

It wouldn't be such an interesting world if we all looked at life from the same perspective.

Keep typing midnight or othertimes :wink:

Best wishes

Geoff

Who is next for the Love-In?...TINC and MC perhaps? :roll: :wink:

Sun Oct 30, 2005 2:45 pm

Rusty........I'm surprised at you.
You have offended both Geoff and myself.
You are excused from the MB.........unless something can be negotiated, of course :wink:

Sun Oct 30, 2005 2:57 pm

Scatter wrote:Rusty........I'm surprised at you.
You have offended both Geoff and myself.
You are excused from the MB.........unless something can be negotiated, of course :wink:

I am duly chastened :oops: :wink: