Off Topic Messages

The Extraordinary new Chris Rea album

Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:56 pm

Just got it - it is absolutely the most extraordinary album I have ever come across. It is 11 - yes, 11 - CDs in length, with a total of 137 new songs. That has to be something of a record. Haven't had much of a chance to listen to it yet but the whole package is simply fantastic. I am a long time Rea fan and have around 20 of his albums. This just beats them all. Anyone know of a release that can beat this - 137 new songs?

Re: The Extraordinary new Chris Rea album

Fri Oct 21, 2005 1:19 pm

Stephen Butler wrote:Anyone know of a release that can beat this - 137 new songs?

The Road To Hell

Bet there's nothing that good on it.
Last edited by ColinB on Fri Oct 21, 2005 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Oct 21, 2005 1:22 pm

Do you know what's really incredible??

This mammoth 11 CD and 1 DVD set retails for a mere £31. Good on you Chris! Talk about giving your fans value for money. 8)

Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:01 pm

Yep - £31 the lot. And it comes in a deluxe 10" book with a detailed history of the blues music that is featured on this album. So purely from a value for money standpoint, if you like this kind of music, it is unbeatable.

Colin:

You're right. There is nothing of the standard of The Road to Hell on here. Most of it is better than that album. The only songs I play regularly from that record are the title track and a glorious number called Looking for a Rainbow.

But my challenge still remains - can anyone name an album coontaining all new material that is longer than 11 CDs/137 songs?

Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:17 pm

Stephen -

You Wrote:
Colin:

You're right. There is nothing of the standard of The Road to Hell on here.
Most of it is better than that album.
The only songs I play regularly from that record are the title track and a glorious number called Looking for a Rainbow.

Well yeah, I meant the song rather than the album.

Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:34 pm

So who is Chris Rea?
sue

P.S. I know I'm out of it, but you would be too if you had to teach kids to sing "Old McDonald" every year!!

Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:30 pm

silver wrote:So who is Chris Rea?
sue

P.S. I know I'm out of it, but you would be too if you had to teach kids to sing "Old McDonald" every year!!

He is a UK singer-songwriter of some standing.

He has figured on the UK charts since the late 70's.

Not a 'pop' star [out of around 30 charted singles, only one top 10 entry].

Difficult to categorise him, he writes interesting, wordy lyrics which really tell a story.

Sings in a gravely, blues-tinged voice.

I like him !

Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:29 pm

£31 for that lot off goodie"s?.

Now that IS someone looking after the fandome.

Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:56 pm

Chris Rea? Did he have a sister... Di ? :wink:

:lol:

Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:05 pm

Behave Sam, Chris is a very nice guy. An interesting man to listen to.

Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:15 pm

Yes Chris Rea is OK from what I've heard!!! :oops:

8)

Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:27 pm

sam wrote:Chris Rea? Did he have a sister... Di ? :wink:

:lol:

That`s the Welsh side of the family Sam :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:35 pm

Colin, Thanks for the answer. I don't know if I would be able to find him here and now, but will look. (Not for the giant set, but a single CD like maybe, The Road to Hell?
sue