Off Topic Messages

Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:25 am

Astros in 7.

8)

Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:23 pm

Well, it does look as if the Sox will win the series (especially when the referees keep ruling in their favor)!! Tonight's game was lo-oo-ooong!! I hope they do win because they haven't won in such a long time! Have they ever won? Can't ask my husband because we only have been watching the games (football, baseball, etc.) in recent years. Plus, I don't listen to half of what the commentators say and they probably said if they ever won or not!!
sue

Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:31 pm

silver wrote:Well, it does look as if the Sox will win the series (especially when the referees keep ruling in their favor)!


Sue -
Come close because I want to whisper something to you just so you'll know for future reference.

In baseball, they are called umpires, not referees.

I won't let anyone know that I had to tell you that though. It's our little secret.

Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:23 pm

"Refs."

I thought that was pretty cute. :D


These games go on way too long because of the late starting time
and last night took forever
to start with that new benefit song (?) that they did before
the national anthem :roll: , plus the presenting of the Clemente
award, etc....

Glad MLB forced the 'Stros to open the roof up...!

Yeah, what is up with the "refs"? All from Chi-Town? :shock:

Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:55 pm

Yes, it was a long game but I made it to the end. Good game but Houston blew so many chances that I really don't think they are worthy of winning the series even though I did want them to win. They must have had two guys on 4 innings in a row by way of walks and a hit batter. Couldn't even get one hit or fly ball deep enough to score a run.
At least the umps gave one to the Astros this time with the bad call on the home run. Maybe we need some younger umpires that can see. I can't believe how poor they've called these games.

jeff R

Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:30 pm

jeffreyjames wrote:Yes, it was a long game but I made it to the end. Good game but Houston blew so many chances that I really don't think they are worthy of winning the series even though I did want them to win. They must have had two guys on 4 innings in a row by way of walks and a hit batter. Couldn't even get one hit or fly ball deep enough to score a run.
At least the umps gave one to the Astros this time with the bad call on the home run. Maybe we need some younger umpires that can see. I can't believe how poor they've called these games.

jeff R


Giving the benefit of the doubt, though, the home run call would be tough for anyone to make correctly. Instant replay makes it pretty clear, but even with that, you had to look pretty closely to see where the ball hit. The umps didn't have that luxury. How about the goofy configuration of that park? That uphill climb in deep center field is ridiculous. As soon as someone blows out a knee they will hopefully level it.

Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:14 pm

I simply lost consciousness about 2:00am or so. Is it over?? :wink:

Tom

Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:29 pm

Just after 11 pm EST, I remember thinking, well, the game's almost over,
I really shouldn't go to sleep now. After all, it's almost over.

Then I remembered: it's the Chisox. The ASTWHO's?.

Go to sleep! And I did.

Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:25 pm

Gregory Nolan, Jr. wrote:

Glad MLB forced the 'Stros to open the roof up...!



Bud Selig said the roof was to be open to be fair.

Why? Shouldn't this be the teams (Astros) call?

Isn't that part of home field advantage?

Next MLB will say that the Astros fans must keep quiet to be fair to the visiting team.


Just some thoughts,

RKS

Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:44 am

I think the Astros fans should have dumped beer all over Selig. He is an idiot. He had no right to tell them they should have the top open. Who does he think he is? Just because he has the title of Commissioner, he should not have done what he did. I lost the little respect I had for him. The Astros should file a complaint and I hope they do. Did Selig tell them to take the roof off when they were in the playoffs? No, he didn't. Why? Because he wasn't there. I think it was a personal move because it would have been too loud for him. After all, "I'm the Commissioner and I can do anything I want". What an idiot!!

jeff R

Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:04 am

Yeah, but it's kind of lame to close the roof merely because
your team is used to the apparently noisy sound ...

Such a roof should only be used in bad weather...

Since when did y'all become such fans of baseball under roofs?

Did you like Astro-Turf too? :lol: Baseball is an outdoors game.

I agree that Selig is an idiot - on steroid issue alone...

Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:43 am

As a life-long Cubs fan I prefer out-door - daytime baseball.

That being said, I don't think it's the commissioner's place to tell a team whether or not to open or close the roof of the stadium that they play in.

The Astros have won more games with the roof closed than with it open this year. It should be up to the Astros to play in the conditions that give them the best advantage to win the games.

Did Bud Selig force the Arizona Diamondbacks to close their roof in 2001?

A little consistancy would be nice.

RKS

Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:40 am

Well, I have never been to a real live baseball game (although I have been to see Elvis!!), but my aunt used to say that she loved going to the old Dodger Stadium (LA) because she loved to feel the breeze through her hair!! She had no opinion on astroturf or indoor stadiums. Well, I'll tell you how I thought the umpires did when this game is over (It's the top of the first right now: 6:38 pm PDT.)
sue

Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:02 am

scotch wrote:Astros in 7.


Can you say "sweep?"

Image

Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:41 pm

Well, it's over. I fell asleep and missed the 9th inning.

That should tell you something right there.

But good for Chicago ...and the Sox.

I thought it had potential but it wasn't that great of a series.

I see what someone meant about that weird uphill outfield!

Selig may have been out of bounds, but the roof was rightly
opened. For years, I associated the NL with such inventions
as indoor baseball...

How about how this game also took forever to start?

Nice to "celebrate diversity" but wasn't the "Latino Legends"
thing at the beginning a bloated attempt to reach out to
the suddenly large Latino influx ? I liked the hybrid
"Spang-lish" of the announcer! I look forward to Podesnik
being a key part of a future "Czech Champions" team ... :roll:

Bo-ring. Do your ethnic-targeted marketing somewhere else.

Start the game... :evil: :D
already!
Last edited by Gregory Nolan Jr. on Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:51 am

Astros in '06 and '07, thats what I was saying. :lol:

The roof was always closed since June, the players were used to that, and it should have remained closed. There has been a lawsuit filed over the matter, and I find myself supporting what I might have called a nuisance lawsuit before. A fan, not knowing the roof would be open, came to the game unprepared for temperatures in the 40's, which for Texas is pretty cold, and is now in the hospital. I hope MLB has to pay the guy (in a Dr. Evil voice) MILLIONS.

Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:41 pm

Well, MLB should have stopped that during the season, unless it
was blisteringly hot or just always rained, which I doubt.

That fan who is sueing needs to get a life.

Well, the 'Stros did better than expected in '05 given that what's-his-name
sold out to the Mets -and proceeded to do zilch.

They'll be back - maybe in 86 years? :?: :lol:

P.S. Unfortunately, because there were some decent games,
it's the lowest rated WS ever ...! :shock:

A big part of that remains because it's on FOX, which still isn't is
as many homes as the Big Three, plus all the channel choices on cable..

Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:06 pm

silver wrote:Well, I have never been to a real live baseball game (although I have been to see Elvis!!)sue


I've been to a ton of baseball games, but never saw Elvis. Trade ya?

Sat Oct 29, 2005 6:17 am

No trade, KHoots!!!

BTW, Rob, when you posted come real close and I'll whisper in your ear: I actually went closer to the computer!! Then I really laughed out loud, and my husband said, "What?"

sue

Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:15 pm

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:Well, MLB should have stopped that during the season, unless it was blisteringly hot or just always rained, which I doubt...


Don't get down to Houston too much, do ya Greg? :wink:
Houston is a steambath until October, and by that time the team is used to the "feel" of the stadium with the roof shut. It is not why they lost the series, but MLB shouldn't have th right to butt in for the World Series after being silent on the matter all year, including the other playoff series.

Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:54 pm

No, I don't, but I did figure it was ungodly hot.

If I were a team, I wouldn't want to be caught even complaining about
perferring having to play sans roof. How embarrassing.


That said, I think it was refreshing that Texans (normally
more football-oriented) finally had a baseball team that was worth
a damn. Y'all can be proud of that!

Chicago's post W.S. party hangover is probably just about ending only now...

Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:40 am

We're pretty good in basketball, too.

Texas, it's like a whole other country.

8)